electronic supercharger 

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: electronic supercharger
Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

ok before you laugh at me and/or think im falling for a cheap as s**t ebay scam hear this out,
ok the car is a ba xr6 non turbo, and the idea is to produce a boost in theory similar to the concept of nitrous.
if i got a small supercharger from a wreckers or somewhere and modified it so that instead of running off the fly wheel it runs off a pulley connected to a electronic motor. this motor will run of 36 volts when activated (two additional batteries in the boot of the car, plus the standard car battery). this should be enough power to at least bring up 6-7psi of boost, any more then this or constant use would require engine internal and/or head work.
i have a couple of ideas on how to have a set up that allows for the supercharger not to be running without causing airflow disturbance or a turbo lag type thing.
i wont be attempting to produce this idea anytime soon as since im still on my p's a cop would have a field trip of defecting my car if he saw something like that, but do you guys think this would work or just fail?

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Post subject: Re: electronic supercharger
Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It wouldnt just be a fail it would be a MEGAFAIL.
There is no way to make it efficient enough to work.
The size of a motor running off DC that is going to make the 10 or so HP that a charger will need to drive it at boost will be massive.
Then you need an alternator to charge the 3x12V batteries.
By the tiem you set it all uo the car would weigh 500kg more at leats so any advantage of having a charger would be gone.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

but if i can get a compact motor that runs fast enough, with use of sizing the pullys i should be able to get it to spin the supercharger fast enough to provide boost at full throttle for about 10 or so seconds, the idea behind it is that it provides boost for a short burst and runs out, i reckon this plan would only have a 70% fail rate :P but i know trying to run it permanently is 100% bound to fail.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

It will be a total fail, don't bother wasting your money. You won't be able to get it to work.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

The weight gain would be more than that as he'd only pull fat chicks! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

lol @ 2 second operation times

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

remember as you gear a motor up to run quicker it becomes less powerful (the exact reason why you don't take off in 5th in your manual car)...

So you finally get the DC motor to spin quick enough and it has no guts...

I once heard on the drag racing that those big chargers on them require so much power to run them that your std v8 motor would not be able to turn them over... And as far I am aware the charger on the Mercedes/Mclaren uses 115kw of power to run it...

To compress air requires a lot of power... I know your talking 6-7psi... But just stop and think how big of a motor this will require?

Also your running 3 12V batteries in series... How are you going to charge them with a 12v alternator?

Have them set up with a mass array of of relays so they are hooked in parallel to charge and soon as they are required the relays drop out and change over to connect them in series and connect to the motor? Or are you planning on running 3 alternators (this has been done, but was done to achieve output amps, not volts, so to achieve volts the frame of each alternator needs to be on nylon bushes so it isn't electrically connected to the block (frame 1 = 0V, frame of 2 = 12V, frame of 3 = 24V, hence highest terminal is lifted to 36V))...

How are you going to control boost? On your normal set ups, quicker air makes the turbo go faster, vac and pressure causes the BOV to open and pressure opens wastegate... Supercharger is governed by engine revs... How you you control the pressure? A s**t load of sensors and circuitry, relays & wiring to make this work?

What a nightmare when 1 component fails...

Thats my input...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hmm ok electronic is bound to fail or be so heavy and complicated it will fail. alright hears another idea bound to fail, as a p plater i cant drive on the road with forced induction, but if i had a way to literally bolt on a supercharger for racetrack use then run a flash to re-tune the ecu, so that it can run on low boost, would a set up like this be possible, where u can literally bolt in a supercharger, flash the ecu then off you go??
also slightly off topic, cause ive always wondered, with a turbo charger you can drive under the rev limit for the turbo to spool, to save fuel when just normally driving, but with a supercharger will it always cause you to use more fuel as it running the whole time, and if it does will it be as much fuel as a turbo charger

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

He's a not so silly idea...

Wait till your off your P's and your a real man. Then get something with forced induction. Saves you trying to find silly ways to skirt around the laws you're so afriad of. :D

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EF Falcon

SA, Australia

well..... if all else fails... maybe attach a leaf-blower to the intake??? :twisted:

Falcon Build http://www.fordmods.com/post1285079.html#p1285079

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

winman wrote:
hmm ok electronic is bound to fail or be so heavy and complicated it will fail. alright hears another idea bound to fail, as a p plater i cant drive on the road with forced induction, but if i had a way to literally bolt on a supercharger for racetrack use then run a flash to re-tune the ecu, so that it can run on low boost, would a set up like this be possible, where u can literally bolt in a supercharger, flash the ecu then off you go??
also slightly off topic, cause ive always wondered, with a turbo charger you can drive under the rev limit for the turbo to spool, to save fuel when just normally driving, but with a supercharger will it always cause you to use more fuel as it running the whole time, and if it does will it be as much fuel as a turbo charger

If you are happy to only have the forced induction at the track the little blue bottle is your friend.
If that is what you want for the moment look into a N20 system.
Its legal on the street providing it is disconeected.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 97 EL sedan

QLD, Australia

Have you thought of a rear mounted turbo ?

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

so with nitrous if its disconnected during normal road use and the cops pull you over and see it, its no problem??
and rear mounted turbo?? explain more lol

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next