Fordmods Logo

EMS. Which one 

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:16 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
After several hours exaimining the AU code last night it appears to be in the same boat I'm afraid. It seems there is no provision to rescale the MAP axes on any of the maps and even the MAP transfer function won't allow positive MAP above 2.2psi.

Which series AU were you looking at? I'm curious about what's different with AU3 PCM's in the light of this assertion on the Chiptorque website:
Quote:
Idle speed, Torque response, transmission shift patterns, rev limiters, speed limiter, boost limiters (AU III) can all be recalibrated as well as fuel and timing using ChipTorque’s Performance Chip

It'd be reasonable to expect that a PCM with a boost limiting function would be capable of handling boost.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:11 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Sniper gear has already been used for a 5.4 in a GT40 kitcar. It's do-able.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:34 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
sly wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:
That is actually not my point (although I was sticking to E/X-series because that's what he has).
My point is actually more fundamental. The EEC speed density strategy,even though it will read the positive pressure signal from the sensor it simply is not able to process it. Thus the calibration must be "fudged" to allow forced induction to work.
In fact the stock Pre-AU frequency output MAP sensor will read to +40psi quite easily. It's just that the eec itself can't do anything with it. Even if you rescale the MAP transfer function within the EEC. So I'm not saying you can't actually calibrate the engine with forced induction it's just that you can't really do it properly.

OK but does the same apply to the AU? This thread could get really muddy... I'll start a new one so we can separate AU and E-series discussion,as it looks like others are interested in the AU and I don't want to hijack the thread.

After several hours exaimining the AU code last night it appears to be in the same boat I'm afraid. It seems there is no provision to rescale the MAP axes on any of the maps and even the MAP transfer function won't allow positive MAP above 2.2psi.

Pete.

I'm at a disadvantage here due to the long gestation period for Sniper for the AU, so I haven't been able to look around inside a PCM. I had previously thought (naively) that the fuel map entries were injector pulse widths LOL. After a bit of poking around on the web, I now understand they are actually A/F ratios. So I can imagine that the PCM uses MAP, RPM and IAT to calculate the mass airflow rate (say in kg per hour) and matches fuel in the correct ratio using at least the Injector Slope.

So my question now is, for an AU I6, if you fitted a 2-bar MAP sensor and injectors with a flow rate roughly double stock (say 36 or 42lb), would that setup give AFR's close enough to stock to be able to be tuned through the fuel map table? I mean without changing either the MAP transfer table or Injector Slope (or fuel reg).

I know it's yet another fudge but if there aren't any serious side effects, it's a solution I'd consider a better option than a rising-rate reg for a boosted application. At least it'd all be under the PCM's control.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3