engineering 

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: engineering
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
dsyfer wrote:
Couldn't you get a J3 chip, tune it for 14.7 AFR accross the range, get the EPA test , then re-tune it?

I don't think 14.7 will give the best emissions across the range. Essentially the mod laws require you to do the test if there is major changes, IE, ecu changes, bigger injectors, yada yada. If you are still running your factory ecu, without any tweaks, the car is still compliant with the emissions rules, as long as your cat converter works......

You could have a "EPA" tune & then a power tune for your car, if you get called in, load the "EPA" tune, rock up & pass the test, then go home & reload the other tune. I really do think the EPA testing is a crock, there isn't that many modified car's around that the pollution they create is going to have an adverse effect on the environment, and even if the pollution is greater, that is more than offset by not scrapping the older modified car & replacing it (at huge initial pollution cost) with a new car.

We might all have to start doing serious mods like super/turbo charging to vehicles that are light commercial, like utes & so on, as they have less emissions rules to comply with.....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

My understanding was that 14.7 AFR was the best ratio for the cat to convert gases at? Wouldn't that mean less bad gases out the pipe?

Most nicely modified cars are looked after correctly, people change their aircleaners, plugs, oil etc. Compare that to the average standard crapbox out there, where people CFB spending anything on them, regular servicing to the average joe means taking it to ultratune when something goes wrong, I see so many cars spewing smoke out the exhaust, running like s**t and polluting more than all modified cars added up.

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

14.7 is stoich, but at that ratio some gasses are found in increased amounts in your tailpipe emissions (some that get measured), others are reduced, as you play with the ratios, it moves up & down.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:52 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA XR8, EF Gli (wrecking)

ACT, Australia

mines got an impco 425 and two b2 converters, the gas system has been certified which involves emissions testing... so i just need the petrol tested, ecu, injectors, fuel pump and exhaust are all stock (exhuast only stock for rego) my engineer has said that he will check out the emissions and everything for me before i go to sydney for the official test so i can get a rough estimate on if it will pass or not.

BA XR8 - Daily driver
boosted EF xr6 - sold
EF Gli - Wrecking - PM me for any parts (whole car available)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2