engineering 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: engineering
Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA XR8, EF Gli (wrecking)

ACT, Australia

hey guys,

im currently working on getting my xr6 engineered, i failed my first attempt but i have now got everything on the list fixed up and am ready to try again.

only thing i am worried about is the emissions testing part. has anybody else been through this? how strict are they? ive put a stock cat back system on it so it should be fine yes?

any info is appreciated.

cheers.

BA XR8 - Daily driver
boosted EF xr6 - sold
EF Gli - Wrecking - PM me for any parts (whole car available)

Post subject: Re: engineering
Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:54 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

my supercharged ed is engineered, and i didnt need to do emission test as i was still running factory ecu at the time..

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

yeh mines a stock ecu aswell, but every engineer in canberra has told me it needs an RTA/EPA emissions test before they can print off the certificate

BA XR8 - Daily driver
boosted EF xr6 - sold

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:07 pm 

NSW, Australia

have you tried akz vehicle engineering in Queanbeyan??

thats who did mine..
but i know someone else that went to him with a turbo set up, and he wanted emission test..
but with mine he never asked, just wanted a noise test and a few other things done..

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

not sure if it was akz but there was one guy in queenbeyan that is known for being on the dodgy side, but then a few of the cars he engineers get recalled and forced to get another cert.

at least the emissions test is free but its just a huge hassle trying to get the car to sydney for it especially since it has no rego and i cant get a permit to drive interstate.

BA XR8 - Daily driver
boosted EF xr6 - sold

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Do you need an emissions test because ACT rules state all modified cars need an emissions test before they are signed off? Sounds like the car modding game is just about to become a lot more difficult.

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Just get a b2 convertor and an impco 425 mixer with an lpg setup, boost line fittup is cheap. Less then a grand all installed and then you dont need an ecu, injectors, fuel pump, rising rate regulator, no emissions test as lpg is considered an emission-less fuel!!

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:16 am 

NSW, Australia

scottyg938 wrote:
not sure if it was akz but there was one guy in queenbeyan that is known for being on the dodgy side, but then a few of the cars he engineers get recalled and forced to get another cert.

at least the emissions test is free but its just a huge hassle trying to get the car to sydney for it especially since it has no rego and i cant get a permit to drive interstate.

i dont know if he is dodgy? he is on the rta signatory list as rta reccomended engineer,
and its been over a year now since i got mine engineered and so far ive had no issues...

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Whats done to ur car???

TROYMAN

I think u were very lucky as with new laws everything in NSW needs to be emmisions tested so not sure what happened in ur case but hey u have it signed off which is great. I guess if u get pulled up about a emmision report u can go it tested.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:41 am 

NSW, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
Whats done to ur car???

TROYMAN

I think u were very lucky as with new laws everything in NSW needs to be emmisions tested so not sure what happened in ur case but hey u have it signed off which is great. I guess if u get pulled up about a emmision report u can go it tested.

thats something that can happen at any time, the engineer passed it withought an emission test as it was running the factory ecu,
this is quoted from my certificate [quote](the engine is assessed at continuing to meet adr/37 on the basis that the improvements in charge air efficiency does not have an adverse effect on the vehicles emmision levels)[quote]

but he did tell me that at any time the epa or rta can randomly call any car for an emission or noise test...

i know of 2 people with turbo set ups that i had recomended to him and he told them an emission test is required, where with my supercharged set up there was no need.. :?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Couldn't you get a J3 chip, tune it for 14.7 AFR accross the range, get the EPA test , then re-tune it?

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 98 au1 xr8

WA, Australia

i had a supercharger on my au for at lest 2 years then i got pulled over for hoon and they yellow stickered me for my tint not the super charger i went over the pits they said here's a booklet go and fill it in then you will need a emissions test. i too still have original ecu (but flashed tuned with sniper they don't know that but)

so at that stage it was an im240 test there was only two people here that could do it and they were f**k expensive anywhere from 1200+ - $3000 but have since learnt from bpt motorsport it was to hard for them after several businesses got to them that now they just require a 5 gas test.
mine is booked in for tomorrow then i send the engineers report off job done

au1 xr8 347ci votech v2 536.5rwhp

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN

Is ur charger happen to be a cappa unit??? if yes then there ADR approved so maybe another reason why it passed but the interesting thing is ur car has a modified exhaust system so there's another reason why it should of had a emmision report.

We can guess all day long ay LOL

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 98 au1 xr8

WA, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
TROYMAN

Is ur charger happen to be a cappa unit??? if yes then there ADR approved so maybe another reason why it passed but the interesting thing is ur car has a modified exhaust system so there's another reason why it should of had a emmision report.

We can guess all day long ay LOL

mine is a cappa kit

au1 xr8 347ci votech v2 536.5rwhp

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

dsyfer wrote:
Couldn't you get a J3 chip, tune it for 14.7 AFR accross the range, get the EPA test , then re-tune it?

I don't think 14.7 will give the best emissions across the range. Essentially the mod laws require you to do the test if there is major changes, IE, ecu changes, bigger injectors, yada yada. If you are still running your factory ecu, without any tweaks, the car is still compliant with the emissions rules, as long as your cat converter works......

You could have a "EPA" tune & then a power tune for your car, if you get called in, load the "EPA" tune, rock up & pass the test, then go home & reload the other tune. I really do think the EPA testing is a crock, there isn't that many modified car's around that the pollution they create is going to have an adverse effect on the environment, and even if the pollution is greater, that is more than offset by not scrapping the older modified car & replacing it (at huge initial pollution cost) with a new car.

We might all have to start doing serious mods like super/turbo charging to vehicles that are light commercial, like utes & so on, as they have less emissions rules to comply with.....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next