Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Engineers certificates
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 80 series cruiser

NSW, Australia

G'day all,

I have been ringing around engineers to certify the turbo conversion and I cant believe how much variance between them all there is, some want brake upgrades, emission reports etc then there is the price difference between them all also....

Please relate your own experiences with them and if there is anything I should be prepared for with them.

Cheers Rob.

Thanks to Crescent Motors, Liverpool.
Call Joe on (02) 9600 6229.

I dont own a Landcruiser, it's a Maverick recovery vehicle!!!!

Post subject: Re: Engineers certificates
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Legit engineer certificates will ask for emmisions report if any engine mods are done to the vehicle as when u change exaust is changes the factory emmisions hence why they want a report.

It can be a hell of a fight with a legit engineer but when its done its done right and u will have no issues.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Check with Troyman, he use a guy that he was very happy with.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:02 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hey yobbo

this is the guy that done mine.. he is on the rta signitory list so he is legit..
his name is john wilson http://www.vehicleengineering.com.au/
he may ask for an emision test. although he didnt with mine...

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

any chance id need a engineers cert for a AU VCT head change? in a ed falcon?

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:04 pm 

NSW, Australia

EDXR6-Poly wrote:

nope...

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

cool just checking

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
hey yobbo

this is the guy that done mine.. he is on the rta signitory list so he is legit..

There are a few bodgy guys on that list as well. Some that know you have an aftermarket ECU, but provided it is well hidden they will write it down as a factory ecu. The only time that will ever get found out is if the cops know you are hiding drugs in your car and want to strip search it, you are a hoon and the highway patrol want to strip search your car for defects just for the fun of it, or your car is a high profile car and you publicly disclose your engine management system (e.g. in car magazines or internet forums).

Colin Potts engineered my brothers VL and he's one of the more relaxed engineers getting around (pretty cheap too). That still didn't stop my brother from needing to upgrade the brakes because apparently when you fit a front mount IC the potential increase in power requires an increase in stopping power. Its a benefit of the doubt scenario but in reverse.

Engineering cars in this country is very hit and miss. Its all done out of personal opinion. What one guy will gladly engineer, another will refuse to look at . And I've heard of stories about guys who can't get their cars engineered because the engineer does not personally like them.

What we need is a standard set of black and white guidelines to go by written in plain English. Not law jargon, and some form of Industry body to oversee the whole operation. Definitely not a govt body cause they can't tell their a*** from their face (just look at the uproar over the P plater approved list of cars in NSW at the moment).

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:41 am 

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
hey yobbo

There are a few bodgy guys on that list as well. Some that know you have an aftermarket ECU, but provided it is well hidden they will write it down as a factory ecu. The only time that will ever get found out is if the cops know you are hiding drugs in your car and want to strip search it, you are a hoon and the highway patrol want to strip search your car for defects just for the fun of it, or your car is a high profile car and you publicly disclose your engine management system (e.g. in car magazines or internet forums).

Colin Potts engineered my brothers VL and he's one of the more relaxed engineers getting around (pretty cheap too). That still didn't stop my brother from needing to upgrade the brakes because apparently when you fit a front mount IC the potential increase in power requires an increase in stopping power. Its a benefit of the doubt scenario but in reverse.

Engineering cars in this country is very hit and miss. Its all done out of personal opinion. What one guy will gladly engineer, another will refuse to look at . And I've heard of stories about guys who can't get their cars engineered because the engineer does not personally like them.

What we need is a standard set of black and white guidelines to go by written in plain English. Not law jargon, and some form of Industry body to oversee the whole operation. Definitely not a govt body cause they can't tell their a*** from their face (just look at the uproar over the P plater approved list of cars in NSW at the moment).

well maybe i should have said afaik he is legit and is as far as rta is concerned, he did a thorough job in checking and measuring ect..
the thing to wory about is if an engineer is not on the rta list there is a huge chance the rta will reject the certificate..

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:

I like the sound of that I need to find an engineer that will do that for my car :D

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:02 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA MKII DEVIL R XR8

Power: 257 rwkw

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
hey yobbo

Hey troyman
So this guy done yours with the raptor on it no probs at all. And how much did it set u back?

If in doubt, rev it out

542rwhp of forced V8 goodness

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Sloxr6 wrote:
xcabbi wrote:

I like the sound of that I need to find an engineer that will do that for my car :D

pm sent

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

Thanks mate :D

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

EDXR6-Poly wrote:

Qld has no Engineers Certificates, just Mod Plates....

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

so id need a mod plate for the head and manifold change?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next