Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Few Qs about NOS
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

So today I've just finished wiring up the Trick Flow nos kit, which is actually a NX kit, and have a few questions before I go flicking that switch. Firstly, how do I know when it's the right time to use it and not use it too early like they do in The Fast and The Furious? Haha... nah, but seriously...

Because the fuel line runs off the fuel rail, does this mean when the kit is activated, it reduces the fuel pressure to the injectors, or does the fuel pressure regulator keep the pressure up to where it's currently set to? The last thing I want to be doing is running it lean off the bat.

With plugs, I'll be going a couple of degrees colder, but do I keep the gap at about 40 thou or does it need to be smaller?

I had more but my brain's stopped. I'll come back if I remember.

Chad

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Post subject: Re: Few Qs about NOS
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

the right time is when your foot is flat to the floor and gaining revs, i use it around 4000rpm upwards. dont go hitting the gas at 5500rpm

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Haha, yeah, that question was a bit of a piss-take. But cheers. I've got a switch that's activated by the accelerator at WOT so it won't be seeing any action under around 3500 - 4000rpm.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

When mine was running, i used to load it up and use the gas from about 2500rpm. Mne was set up the same way and i was worried about pressue as well, I found that with the walbro, the pressue remained the same regardless of the gas being used, right up to 6500rpm. Mind you my supply from the reg is -8 and return is -6. My gas was -4 from the bottle and -6 from the reg to the fuel solenoids, as i was running a mallory reg and -8 rails. I never had an issue with fuel lean out, if anything my car always ran rich on the bottle, The PRM NOS plate i used in the end had .12 fuel jets and .24gas jets wich worked out to be a 230hp shot. The factory settings as recommended by Edelbrock stated .21 feul and .18 gas for a 100shot, but due to the fact i used 2 fuel solenoids located on the plate to solve a lean out issue on activation i had to run the much smaller fuel jets and it was still rich. In the end the only way i could lean it out was to run more gas.This was reflected in a 180rwkw NA and 274wrkw gas runs. Remember that my heads as much as they flowed 500hp, reduced my compression to 8.5:1, a mistake on my behalf when bulding it, which may have contributed to its long life on the gas( over 130000k life on gas)

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:00 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Scaffy wrote:
Because the fuel line runs off the fuel rail, does this mean when the kit is activated, it reduces the fuel pressure to the injectors, or does the fuel pressure regulator keep the pressure up to where it's currently set to? The last thing I want to be doing is running it lean off the bat.

Reg will hold the set pressure, as long as the fuel pump has enough flow.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks Steady and Brett. I am running a walbro 255 pump and it seems to be keeping up fuel-wise, no worries. I hooked it up and gave it a couple of squirts lastnight.

First thing, I understand that getting the bottle warmed up is important. However, when the bottle has just been filled, even though it's cold, should I still be seeing pressure up around 900-1000psi, or is 700 normal until it's warmed? I think I made a mistake in not getting the heater when I got everything else :oops: . When I hooked it all up and turned the bottle on for the first time, all I got was 700psi amd it stayed there during about the 5 squirts I gave it. I'm assuming that due to the lower pressure, this is causing it to run pretty fat. I was seeing afrs of about 11 - 11.5:1. Not ideal! I'm going to try and get myself a bottle heater today, but if I can't or if they're gonna want to take my left nut for it, will I get away with running at the lower pressure and increasing the jet size on the n2o line? I figured that I'm losing about 30% pressure, so if I put the 150 jet in, that should have me around the 100 shot at that pressure. I just don't know if it's ok to run the n2o when it's more dense like that and if it can cause any problems?

Also, does anyone know off the top of their head, the part number for a suitable plug I should be using? I've found some on the US sites such as Autolites, but I don't think they're available here. Or are they?

Thanks

Chad

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Try this site, they have a calc for jet and pressure
http://www.robietherobot.com/nitrousjetcalculator.htm

Cheers

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]