Fordmods Logo

few questions regarding my turbo build 

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: few questions regarding my turbo build
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED XR6

VIC, Australia

Just got a few questions regarding my ed turbo build...
My power figure i want is 300rwkw
I just want to no what ignition setup you guys suggest to run? Like what coil, leads and plugs will be needed for this figure?
Also i already have a new walbro 255lt/hr intank pump ready to go in will this be sufficient for my desired power figure? And what fuel reg and injectors should i run?
Also is suggestions on clutchs as ill be sticking with the trusty T5 for now.. will the xtream hd organic with the extra heavy duty pressure plate be sufficient?
And one last thing im trying to decide on what ecu to run is a j3 really the way to go these days or is it still alot more beneficial to run an aftermarket ecu and if so which ones do you suggest on the cheaper side of the scale?
Cheers in advance

Post subject: Re: few questions regarding my turbo build
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Throw the T5 away. You WILL break it with 300rwkw.

As for ECU, I suggest what your chosen tuner likes. Not a J3.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:32 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

JakeysED wrote:
Just got a few questions regarding my ed turbo build...
My power figure i want is 300rwkw
I just want to no what ignition setup you guys suggest to run? Like what coil, leads and plugs will be needed for this figure?
Also i already have a new walbro 255lt/hr intank pump ready to go in will this be sufficient for my desired power figure? And what fuel reg and injectors should i run?
Also is suggestions on clutchs as ill be sticking with the trusty T5 for now.. will the xtream hd organic with the extra heavy duty pressure plate be sufficient?
And one last thing im trying to decide on what ecu to run is a j3 really the way to go these days or is it still alot more beneficial to run an aftermarket ecu and if so which ones do you suggest on the cheaper side of the scale?
Cheers in advance

im @ 270rwkw im running stock dizzy, stock coil, bosch leads, im runnung the walbro gs341 (255) fuel pump, im running a au xr6 fuel reg (using el manifold), my injectors are delphi 65lb, ecu is a ems 4424..
i had been running a t5 for about a year, the main issue i had was clutches slipping.
now this was probably due to running organic clutches to keep shock on the t5 low..
i originally went with a ba billet flywheel and 10.5" xr8 clutch, it was ok for a while but once warm it would slip on boost in 3rd and 4th gear, so im now temporarily running the btr 4 speed auto..
i say a button clutch will do the job but the harshness of the button clutch will more than likely destroy the t5....

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

67RCE wrote:
Throw the T5 away. You WILL break it with 300rwkw.

As for ECU, I suggest what your chosen tuner likes. Not a J3.

Yeh i am planning on keeping the T5 for now and deciding which way to go later.. i no full aftermarket ecu would be the preferred choice but why you say not a j3 there have been alot of people running big figures with them these days?

Troyman, so you think if i get all new stock bosch compenents for my ignition i will be able to get close to my figure? What plugs and plug gaps are you running? And with my fuel pump, so your saying it will do the job?.. how much did your ems set you back? Still unsure of which way to go with my clutch as i understand what you mean about a button being too harsh on the little t5, in my research ive read good things about those xtreams with the upgraded pressure plate have you ever ran one of these? Pretty sure they are fairly well priced..

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:01 pm 

NSW, Australia

JakeysED wrote:

Troyman, so you think if i get all new stock bosch compenents for my ignition i will be able to get close to my figure? What plugs and plug gaps are you running? And with my fuel pump, so your saying it will do the job?.. how much did your ems set you back? Still unsure of which way to go with my clutch as i understand what you mean about a button being too harsh on the little t5, in my research ive read good things about those xtreams with the upgraded pressure plate have you ever ran one of these? Pretty sure they are fairly well priced..

imo the factory stuff can do the job but if you can afford to upgrade, well why not..
i thought the factory stuff wouldnt do the job, but i have raised the boost to over 18psi at times and the only thing ive had to do was gap the plugs down to.07mm..
im running ngk bp7es plugs gapped to 0.7mm..
my ems was $1250... and considering its the lower spec of the ems ecu's i think its excellent for the money...
i have converted mine to auto because of the issues i was having with clutches, in saying that the auto is handling it better than i thought, the car runs a faster 1/4 mile...but im thinking on going back to manual as its more fun to drive.. im hoping to try a cushion button clutch this time ,although im not to confident on how well the t5 will take it...

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
JakeysED wrote:

imo the factory stuff can do the job but if you can afford to upgrade, well why not..
i thought the factory stuff wouldnt do the job, but i have raised the boost to over 18psi at times and the only thing ive had to do was gap the plugs down to.07mm..
my ems was $1250... and considering its the lower spec of the ems ecu's i think its excellent for the money...
i have converted mine to auto because of the issues i was having with clutches, in saying that the auto is handling it better than i thought, the car runs a faster 1/4 mile...but im thinking on going back to manual as its more fun to drive.. im hoping to try a cushion button clutch this time ,although im not to confident on how well the t5 will take it...

Ok mate is there any better after market coils that is pretty much a straight swap? What which cushion button clutch you gonna go? I thought bout going auto aswell bit i really dont want too i hate autos.. and cant really afford a t56 or tko at the moment..

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:02 pm 

NSW, Australia

JakeysED wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
JakeysED wrote:

Ok mate is there any better after market coils that is pretty much a straight swap? What which cushion button clutch you gonna go? I thought bout going auto aswell bit i really dont want too i hate autos.. and cant really afford a t56 or tko at the moment..

afaik there is not really any aftermarket coils that bolt straight up that would perform any better than the bosch factory coil..
but going with a msd or crane ignition module and coil is a better upgrade but its not a simple plug and play set up..

my clutch set up was. a npc billet custom xr6t lightened flywheel running a 10.5" auxr8 clutch plate with a xr6t pressure plate, it was a mixed set up..
as im considering going back to manual ill probably go with the npc cushion button clutch on the current xr6t flywheel ...
this is where i got my clutch from...
http://www.npcperformance.com.au/

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Ok mate i mite see how it goes with a new bosch coil and leads for now and plugs with 0.7 gap, cheers for that i mite send them an email, how much did your clutch setup set you back? Have you heard any feedback about the sunbury brakes stage 2 cushion button clutch? Seems fairly well priced..

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:27 pm 

NSW, Australia

JakeysED wrote:
Ok mate i mite see how it goes with a new bosch coil and leads for now and plugs with 0.7 gap, cheers for that i mite send them an email, how much did your clutch setup set you back? Have you heard any feedback about the sunbury brakes stage 2 cushion button clutch? Seems fairly well priced..

my clutch set up was around $1000 including the flywheel..

never heard anything on the sunbury brakes ...

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

theres a few coils out there that you can use i gained 10 kw just swapping to a msd coil . ,there's plenty of ecu's out there mate , choose one that your tuner will tune and install . if your gonna do it , do it right the first time , no point buying a fuel pump if its only going to get upgraded in the end.

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

A higher rated alternator [110 amp from AU] can save issues down the track to keep volts high
and assist good spark..
MSD A6L/2 or similar brands work well..
EMS have there own CDI system..
Trans wise it either TKO,T5/6, twin plate clutch etc with high maintenance depending on driving style ?? or T400 auto 3 speed with manual
valve body.. Other than a Powerglide for all out racing ..
The more power you make an auto is far better to drive..
Ok I have a Tremec TKO in my XR8 and would swap it any day
for a tuff T400 with 3000 converter...
These engines punch out far too much torque for any 4 speed auto...
The load of the torque converter brings boost on real quick..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:07 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Cheers for the replys, what msd coil are you running turb ghia? And im planning on getting big injectors say 60lb do i still run a rising rate reg or just a standard one with my walbro 255?

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

As long as you have a Ecu, j3 to control the injectors you don't need to change fuel reg .

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

my coil is a MSD8207 BLASTER SS COIL

but i going to upgrade to a MSD HVC II Coil

if you have a aftermarket ecu i wouldnt bother with the fuel reg

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Ok so ill just keep the standard reg? And how hard is it to fit that msd HVC II coil? And how much are they?
Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next