Fordmods Logo

First Turbo Project 

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

ok how about this since i dont have 30k in parts and if i did id build up a supra lol but anyway, an acl rebuild kit (pistons,rings and rods,) balance the crank, a snort performance turbo kit (around 3k) a ecu (still undecided) and a z gearbox (btw on the z gearboxes someone said it has the t5 internals from xr6turbos didnt they use same internals as the au and such gearboxes)????..

thanks guys

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

pyroay wrote:
I agree 200 - 220rwkw will certainly give it a very good run (outrun it i think) and you can use stock internals and "Z" spec gearbox will do the job nicely without having to spend too much...

where would one go about getting a "z" spec T5.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:11 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Any good transmission joint could probably hook you up. Rodshop in castlemaine would be a definite but there'd be other joints too...
Or just go the auto with big tranny cooler and a shiftkit. If you didn't punish it too badly it should survive 200rwkw...

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:50 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Any good transmission joint could probably hook you up. Rodshop in castlemaine would be a definite but there'd be other joints too...
Or just go the auto with big tranny cooler and a shiftkit. If you didn't punish it too badly it should survive 200rwkw...

I dont agree. I had the standard box and i dont think it will last more than a couple of months at 200rwkw, unless you drive very gently.

nannas_ed wrote:
pyroay wrote:
I agree 200 - 220rwkw will certainly give it a very good run (outrun it i think) and you can use stock internals and "Z" spec gearbox will do the job nicely without having to spend too much...

where would one go about getting a "z" spec T5.

http://www.malwoodauto.com.au/

Very good to deal with....

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

which is cheapier for kw's per dollar...buy a ba turbo motor and do it up sum or do wut hes wanting to do rebuild and add a turbo?

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA Turbo

VIC, Australia

Rebuild and add a turbo, it would be WAY cheaper, just a stock XR6T engine will cost $7k-$8k......

1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Resprayed|microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Wade turbo cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 conversion|Built bottom end|10.6@125MPHi

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:19 am 

VIC, Australia

adzi_metallica wrote:
Hey guys this will be a long post and ive read everything on this and other forums about turboing the I6 so dont hava go cause i wasnt lazy ive researched....Anyway, i was hoping to acquire (more buy) an ef xr6 either end of this year or begining of next (i have a ebII which makes noises no car should ever make), and will be turboing it....now the plan is to fully rebuild the engine, ive read on here about the au being a stronger block so might use that might not, but for internals i was looking at either ba xr6t rods/pistons.....arias forgies and forged rods.....or acl race series pistons and forged rods.....either a gt40 turbo, to4r turbo (guys in us with supras are getting 1000+ out of these on STOCK internals), a turbo grind cam, balance and blueprint the crank, external gate, big cooler, walbro pump, 600ish cc injectors, custom intake plenum (or might be lil lazy and jus use the normal variable lengtth jus so much extra piping for nothing), dual valve springs, port the head, oversized ferara (i think) valves, a tko 5 speed (depending on price), lsd if not already in car, tuned lenght manifold and 3 inch exhaust, and also a ecu dont know which one yet, im looking for mid-high 12's and have a budget around 10k on the engine/box/diff/ecu/turbo etc. I wouldnt mind getting a 0-100 time in the 5's either (i know its pushing it) and lookin for 250-275rwkws.....all this cause my mate thinks his mkii ba turbo will beat anything.......i used to have the fastest ford now he does.....but i want to build an engine my self anyway because always loved cars so will be a 1.5-2 year project
sorry about the long post what do you guys think and how much do you rekon this will cost

thanks guys

Everything you've outlined sounds good and in fact i have pretty much the same stuff on my car and it works very well but it will cost you way moer than your budget...

Even if you get a "Z" Spec box (which is a good box and the one i would reccomenend in your situation) that is $3,500 with a performance clutch to suit.

GT Turbo new is $2,500
Intercooler and piping $1,200
Wolf 3D and tune $2,500
3" Exhaust & manifold $1,500
Injectors & 600hp fuel pump $1,300

Thats $12,500 and thats without plennimum or opening the engine which adds another $4,000 - $6,000

I believe your up for $15,000 + for a basic set-up similar to that outlined above and $20,00 to get it all done and installed.

I know i allowed $10k and have now spent over $30,000...

Pro Class
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

GT40 turbo's are under $2k at www.gcg.com.au
They have some custom turbo's that suit better than GT3540 in there opinion..As in lower spool.. .7 front and .84 rear...With quite big wheels...
My son bought one for his A.U engine...Btw I think the [slightly smaller]Gt3040 would do the job well on nice street power with consideration to transmissions etc...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6t

NSW, Australia

[quote="pyroay

Even if you get a "Z" Spec box (which is a good box and the one i would reccomenend in your situation) that is $3,500 with a performance clutch to suit.

GT Turbo new is $2,500
Intercooler and piping $1,200
Wolf 3D and tune $2,500
3" Exhaust & manifold $1,500
Injectors & 600hp fuel pump $1,300

Thats $12,500 and thats without plennimum or opening the engine which adds another $4,000 - $6,000
[/quote]

Some of those prices seem a little excessive. the gt 3540's are going for $1800, my intercooler and piping cost me $600 for a hybrid copy and mild steel piping done by a exhaust shop, a walbro fuel pump and set of rotary injectors will only set you back $500. And a microtech can be used instead of the wolf 3d, only costing $1500 installed and tuned.

Thats still $9400 still with a stock motor, add another $1800ish for a acl race series bottom end, or like pyro said 4-6g for a bullet proof bottom end.

Rides:
-Ba xr6t, wog cooler, K&N pod on custom intake, battery moved to other side, flash, custom cooler piping, presons auto, car pc, 19" lenso speed 6, going for 300rwkw
-FZR 250- run around bike

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:49 pm 

VIC, Australia

Perhaps some prices a bit high, but i am basing it on getting stuff i know is very good quality (not sayingt hat other stuff isn't good quality).

e.g fuel pump is over $300 for the Bosch one i was thinking of
my intercooler was around $700 by itself without piping (custom made)

If you use generaic stuff from jap cars etc... it certainly seems you can get it cheaper...

Pro Class
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

how much power can an ea block handle?

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

i am currently turboing my XF and i know thru my experiences that scavanging for parts is very very useful if you wanna save money but if i were to do anything like what you wanna do i would be inclined to base my prices on what PYROAY says... mainly because
1. he's done it
2. if his prices are a tad high then you will be pleasently suprised when u buy said part
but hey thats just what i would do...
good luck with it all mate
cheers

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

sorry i just realized that sounded really rude to bogan393
sorry mate i didnt mean that what you said was incorrect or not worthy of paying attention too and if you can find the parts cheaper than i hope you will let everyone know (as you have above) i just meant that always double your budget for anything (it will almost certainly reach your doubled budget!!!)
cheers guys and good luck

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Shop around and DIY as much as you can... Or just pay what it costs to get it all done. At the end of it all it still costs you a lot so just expect to be forking out wads of folding for awhile... and enjoy what you have

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EA II Fairmont Ghia S

SA, Australia

I would agree with Pyroay's advice and prices. I just got my motor rebuilt from the ground up with a bulletproof bottom end, deep dished pistons, head work, race-cam, adjustable cam gear, etc. etc. etc. all ready for the turbo when the motor hits 4000 km's and is happily run in (as my mechanic put it).

and the motor alone has cost me $8,500
Let alone the $3,600 for the transmission
And $1,600 for the aftermarket EMS Stinger to be installed and tuned.

that all up is $13,700

Thats not including the $2,100 i paid for the Turbo
The $600 i will be paying for the Tuned Length Turbo Manifold from my exhaust shop
And the $550 i will be paying for them to run the intercooler plumbing (without cutting any body panels) to the front bar where my intercooler that i paid $395.00 for is going to sit.

So the Extras so far have cost $3,645

All up around $17,345

Not bad considering I paid $4,000 for the car when i bought it 3 years ago have only traveled 19,000Kms in it and the bastard insurance company will only cover it for $3,900 and wont cover my stereo.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next