Fordmods Logo

First Turbo Project 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: First Turbo Project
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hey guys this will be a long post and ive read everything on this and other forums about turboing the I6 so dont hava go cause i wasnt lazy ive researched....Anyway, i was hoping to acquire (more buy) an ef xr6 either end of this year or begining of next (i have a ebII which makes noises no car should ever make), and will be turboing it....now the plan is to fully rebuild the engine, ive read on here about the au being a stronger block so might use that might not, but for internals i was looking at either ba xr6t rods/pistons.....arias forgies and forged rods.....or acl race series pistons and forged rods.....either a gt40 turbo, to4r turbo (guys in us with supras are getting 1000+ out of these on STOCK internals), a turbo grind cam, balance and blueprint the crank, external gate, big cooler, walbro pump, 600ish cc injectors, custom intake plenum (or might be lil lazy and jus use the normal variable lengtth jus so much extra piping for nothing), dual valve springs, port the head, oversized ferara (i think) valves, a tko 5 speed (depending on price), lsd if not already in car, tuned lenght manifold and 3 inch exhaust, and also a ecu dont know which one yet, im looking for mid-high 12's and have a budget around 10k on the engine/box/diff/ecu/turbo etc. I wouldnt mind getting a 0-100 time in the 5's either (i know its pushing it) and lookin for 250-275rwkws.....all this cause my mate thinks his mkii ba turbo will beat anything.......i used to have the fastest ford now he does.....but i want to build an engine my self anyway because always loved cars so will be a 1.5-2 year project
sorry about the long post what do you guys think and how much do you rekon this will cost

thanks guys

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:45 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

good luck to you, sounds like you got it all figured... as for cost, well... for a set-up that extensive, bank on about 8g's+ for the turbo s**t, TKO boxes are pretty expensive i think, so that'll sky rocket the price.
But sounds like you got it all figured.. wish i had your pockets :D

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6t

NSW, Australia

10g would be pushing it including a tko box. A tko box will cost arounf the $5500 mark insatalled. A better bet would be a "z" spec t5 which is a e series houseing with ba turbo internals, and a decent clutch. Z spec boxes are around the $2500 mark and a decent clutch is close to $1g. Thatll leave $6500 for the setup up. If your doing alot of your own work this should be possible with the right bargain hunting but if you are paying for it all to be donethen you may have to save a little more.

Rides:
-Ba xr6t, wog cooler, K&N pod on custom intake, battery moved to other side, flash, custom cooler piping, presons auto, car pc, 19" lenso speed 6, going for 300rwkw
-FZR 250- run around bike

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: eb falcon s series 2

NSW, Australia

no point spending 3500 on gearbox if u can only spend 6500 on engine which means less power so a lesser gearbox will work.

‮‮

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6t

NSW, Australia

Yea good point

Rides:
-Ba xr6t, wog cooler, K&N pod on custom intake, battery moved to other side, flash, custom cooler piping, presons auto, car pc, 19" lenso speed 6, going for 300rwkw
-FZR 250- run around bike

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:00 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

All the top shelf internals for the motor would make the engine alone a 10g rebuild.

For 275rwkw a properly rebuilt AU motor that has been balanced with an ACL RACE kit and prepped rods will be heaps. Parts and machine will still cost at least $2000. People have done almost this power reliably with a stock motor.

The cheapest way to build a strong box is probably to a get a f**k T5 and get 1st, 2nd, & 3rd proshifted by Liberty in the USA. It effectively turns your gearbox into a semi-dogbox. The retention of 4th and 5th will keep some streetability. This means you can do burnouts, hard drang stip launches, etc. A TKO I am pretty sure is in the $4-5000 range. A few of the Rotary guys use Proshifted T5's to 10,000rpm??

For your budget I would do a LOT of searching for the best price possible and learn how to do it all yourself including the ecu install.

My setup is costing me about $4-4500. For this I am getting no engine or gearbox rebuild and I am doing everything including the tune. Although everything I am using is brand new and exactly what I want. I am aiming for 260rwhp reliably at 8-10psi.

I believe I know what I am doing and have been looking for parts for the last year. How far do you think you'll get for your $10,000.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:00 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: fairmont ghia

WA, Australia

hey dude
i was in the same situation before pricing everything up.... roughly it worked out like this.... for my el fairmont ghia 4.0L

$9000 forged pistons,rods,blue brint and balancing, headwork, custom cam, valves springs all that s**t just the motor....
$3500 autonic sm2 computer installed and tuned
$1000 thin throttle body manifold
$9000 for full turbo setup inc, manifold, turbo, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler all the pipe work blah blah....
$3500 to fully rebuild my auto with highstall and trancooler.....
+ if you wont this power level your goin to need brakes & suspension work so lets just say another $3000 brakes for a desent setup and $2000
coilovers, swaybars etc....

all up i had to think about it for a while that would of cost me nearly 30grand in mods to make it reliable for what you ask???? nearly 350-400rwk if your lucky...
then you also need to think about praticality...
thats why i didnt bother doing it and instead i went a brought a ba xr6t...
(have'nt updated my sig yet, and my younger bro bought my car :) )

well thats my 2 cents anywaz

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Keep engine std ...Lower comp,add turbo Gt 3040 42 Lb injectors and ecu, intercooler etc...When engine lets go then re-build it then...I bet you won't have to...Bad tune kills engines NOT boost....Keep power under 250 rwkw and you'll have 800 Ft lb killer....Check what engines make that much torque?? It doesn't sound impressive but It'll be bloody quick all the same without killing transmissions...Btw with all that torque an auto is no power robber either..Infact on 1/4 its far quicker and consistant!!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:39 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

slycruza wrote:
hey dude
i was in the same situation before pricing everything up.... roughly it worked out like this.... for my el fairmont ghia 4.0L

$9000 forged pistons,rods,blue brint and balancing, headwork, custom cam, valves springs all that s**t just the motor....
$3500 autonic sm2 computer installed and tuned
$1000 thin throttle body manifold
$9000 for full turbo setup inc, manifold, turbo, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler all the pipe work blah blah....
$3500 to fully rebuild my auto with highstall and trancooler.....
+ if you wont this power level your goin to need brakes & suspension work so lets just say another $3000 brakes for a desent setup and $2000
coilovers, swaybars etc....

all up i had to think about it for a while that would of cost me nearly 30grand in mods to make it reliable for what you ask???? nearly 350-400rwk if your lucky...
then you also need to think about praticality...
thats why i didnt bother doing it and instead i went a brought a ba xr6t...
(have'nt updated my sig yet, and my younger bro bought my car :) )

well thats my 2 cents anywaz

That sounds about right comming from someone who has done it.
Maybe wait a couple of years and pick my one up when it's going second hand, will save you a lot of work and money for a proven thing....

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Last edited by pyroay on Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

With that power Id say just throw a top loader in there and if u were worried spend a little stengthening it, sure its only a 4spd, but the saving would be massive! MR250 uses a toploader with a hurst indy shift and hes pushing a few kw's around the street.

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:52 am 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

Maybe lower your standards slightly. Stock engine internals can take a hell of a lot, like EBXR8380 said, get the tune right and it can be almost bulletproof. Look at CHEF as a kind of DIY turbo god :D, his setup is what I'd be looking at if I had the cash.
200rwkw should give your mates XR6T a run for it's money, cause yours is a much lighter car.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:00 am 

VIC, Australia

I agree 200 - 220rwkw will certainly give it a very good run (outrun it i think) and you can use stock internals and "Z" spec gearbox will do the job nicely without having to spend too much...

Pro Class
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:10 am 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

yeah well, most stock XR6Ts are putting within the region of 190-210rwkw (engineering tolerances these days...) down on the dyno, so 200rwkw out of a car that is a couple of hundred kilos lighter... lotsa fun :D:D

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:24 am 

VIC, Australia

My thoughts exactly, although the numbers i've seem from a few are more like 185rwkw - 195rwkw nothing over 200rwkw....

But your right the 200 kg of weight will make a large difference, straight away thats over 10% lighter.

Pro Class
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Last edited by pyroay on Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:32 am 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

nothing over 200 since the reflash :P
I'm trying to convince my old man to go a stealth edit, cause they f**k up his tune... gutless and running ridiculously rich.
yeah, but i probably did exaggerate a bit... although i do remember reading somewhere i think it was APS? dynoed one and got just over 200... there's a few freak ones out there... but also dogs.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next