Fordmods Logo

Fitting a Walbro to AU Sedan fuel tank? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Fitting a Walbro to AU Sedan fuel tank?
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:52 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

Hi Fellas,

I'm wanting to fit a Walbro GSS342 (basic walbro intank) to the cradle for my AU sedan (see attached pics).

I took it to my mechanic yesterday and he's not happy to go this way due to the standard fuel pump outlet/hose arrangement. As you can see its different from E-series...the pump outlet turns 90 degrees immediately, before the hose does some funky bends and joins the top of the cradle.

To make the walbro fit, even with outlet lined up as best possible with cradle top outlet, the fuel line will bend too much and kink.

Has anyone fitted the walbro inside the standard AU cradle, and preferably has some pics? Would be very helpful. At this stage I'm going to exchange this for an external walbro and keep the standard in-tank pump, which is not an ideal solution.

Cheers,

Joe

Attachments:
Walbro GS342.jpg
Walbro GS342.jpg [ 19.83 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]
Fuel Pump Cradle 2.jpg
Fuel Pump Cradle 2.jpg [ 21.34 KiB | Viewed 223 times ]
Fuel pump cradle.jpg
Fuel pump cradle.jpg [ 21.83 KiB | Viewed 240 times ]

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Post subject: Re: Fitting a Walbro to AU Sedan fuel tank?
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Is that as low as the pump hangs or does the cradle compress/extend down further?

The ute one is completely different so Im not much help.

I had a walbro in my old AU sedan but I didnt fit it.

You might be able to fit a right angle fitting on the outlet of the pump with a small bit of hose in between then run the hose as standard but Its hard to tell if it will fit.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
Is that as low as the pump hangs or does the cradle compress/extend down further?

The ute one is completely different so Im not much help.

I had a walbro in my old AU sedan but I didnt fit it.

You might be able to fit a right angle fitting on the outlet of the pump with a small bit of hose in between then run the hose as standard but Its hard to tell if it will fit.

Dan, I remember a photo you posted of your ute cradle and yes it totally different.

The cradle doesn't compress or extend, so that's as low as the pump hangs. When you say a 'right angle fitting', do you mean something like a little barbed 90 degree fitting with some small hose clamps? It may fit this way...

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah thats what I mean. Not sure it would fit but if it does it should stop the line kinking.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Thanks - I'll have a look and see if it'll work!

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

the only thing i could think was have go straight up into it, but you say it doesn't line up good enough.

what's it for? standard intank and bigger inline is probably easier.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

justa6 wrote:
the only thing i could think was have go straight up into it, but you say it doesn't line up good enough.

what's it for? standard intank and bigger inline is probably easier.

That's right, it doesn't line up well enough to go straight up. There's actually little room at all between top of pump outlet, and roof of the cradle. It has to go sideways (90 degrees) before it can do anything else as far as I can tell.

It's for my supercharged AU XR6 - it's got a standard intank with a bigger inline pierburg pump, which is really noisy. I'm wanting to go walbro intank to get the noise down somewhat, and pick up some flow compared to the pierburg (which is now running out of fuel). If I can't get the walbro in, I will go for an external walbro with lots of insulation.

I've been told that despite a bigger inline external pump, the fuel pressure or flow (can't remember which) is ultimately dictated by the intank. I don't really get this, as my car wouldn't be getting enough fuel for it's power output if the standard intank was the deciding factor on fuel flow/pressure....is any of this true?

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:14 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

it's true.
the total flow will still be dictated by the in tank pump, buuuut (and its a big one), because you have an inline pump after it, the pump in tank is doing its work at ALOT lower pressure, which increases it's flow heaps.
same principle with surge tanks, because the surge tank isn't pressurised the pump feeding it doesn't have to be really big to provide enough flow.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:44 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
it's true.
the total flow will still be dictated by the in tank pump, buuuut (and its a big one), because you have an inline pump after it, the pump in tank is doing its work at ALOT lower pressure, which increases it's flow heaps.
same principle with surge tanks, because the surge tank isn't pressurised the pump feeding it doesn't have to be really big to provide enough flow.

Steady as per normal you're a wealth of info and that makes a lot of sense! Lower pressure = higher flow with pumps, so the standard intank can deliver it's maximum fuel flow capacity because it's not working against high pressure (which is being looked after by the inline external).

So to get more flow whether I run a single walbro intank, or an intank + inline external, I'll need to upgrade the intank. The inline external will help, but in the end won't be able to deliver the fuel required if restricted by a standard intank. Hope I got that right.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

no i think you'll find, standard intank will be fine feeding a bigger inline.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

justa6 wrote:
no i think you'll find, standard intank will be fine feeding a bigger inline.

That's what I've got now?

I can see how that works with a surge tank - standard intank fills surge (say 2L), then bigger external inline pumps lots of fuel at high pressure from the surge, which is still getting filled by the standard intank.

But with a standard intank feeding a bigger inline, that bigger inline should only be able to pump what fuel the intank can supply it, right?

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:33 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

yeah thats right, but the stock intank working as a lift pump will be able to flow alot.
you'd have to chase down a part number for the stock pump and try find a flow/pressure graph but i'd hazard a guess that at 0 pressure it's going to be flowing at least as much as the walbro can @ rail pressure.
the single intank is a just 'nicer' way of doing it i reckon (simplicity + nvh) but if you can't get it to fit you can't get it to fit...

sorry if ive missed it in the other thread but are you actually running out of fuel flow now?

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

JoeXR6 wrote:
I'm wanting to go walbro intank to get the noise down somewhat, and pick up some flow compared to the pierburg (which is now running out of fuel). If I can't get the walbro in, I will go for an external walbro with lots of insulation.

How good are the pierburgs? That might be your limiting factor at the moment.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:44 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

reading > me.
whats the pierburg meant to flow?

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:22 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
How good are the pierburgs? That might be your limiting factor at the moment.
Steady ED wrote:
reading > me.
whats the pierburg meant to flow?

Not sure on the pierburg's specs. Justin from tuff car parts says they're a decent pump, but don't flow as much as walbros, etc. Regardless, its been in the car since '02, so I'm happy to replace it. My mechanic suggests that another reason it may be noisy is due to it cavitating.

I'll chase up some 90* barbed fittings tommorow to try Dan's suggestion. Ideally I'll get the single walbro in as an intank and be done with it (simplicity, flow + nvh), but if it doesn't fit I'll get the inline external to replace the pierburg. The pierburg is currently mounted under the passenger side front seat, which isn't helping the noise issue, so if I have to go external I'll put it at the back of the vehicle with good insulation.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next