Fordmods Logo

Forced Induction idea.. please post critisism ;) 

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Forced Induction idea.. please post critisism ;)
Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA XR8 Ute

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, this will be a thread on P-plates.. so by this sentence, 90% will have clicked the back button already, but I insist you have a short read, if only to crit my idea. Thankyou.

The rules are a tad grey on the area of company vehicles, but as far as i'm aware, you can drive a turbocharged/supercharged/other high powered vehicles with the proof that there is no other vehicle available at the workplace to go about your daily business, on your P plates that is.

You can create a business and register the name etc. online for like $80 (correct me if im wrong). When I find my new car (BA XR6T ute) and I was to have my own business name registered as an operating business, and the vehicle was registered BY THE COMPANY, and not myself, then I should be safe(ish) from the top blokes in blue.

Of course, to be completely de-badged, and the engine bay tidied up a bit so that it doesn't have "TURBO" in big writing righ in front of the police officer scrumagging around under the bonnet. Even swap the xr front with a monty one if it came to that.

So honestly, if the vehicle was driven within the laws of the road and not smoking 'em up down the main strip, I should be right? Maybe even get the company name in a sticker on the doors or on the bonnet. Its not as far fetched as it may seem.

Now, commence the critisism (constructive, I would hope lol) and continue to tell me how stupid I am/how I should just wait until i'm off my P's etc. Thankyou for your time.

Matty

Post subject: Re: Forced Induction idea.. please post critisism ;)
Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

matty340 wrote:
Hey guys, this will be a thread on P-plates.. so by this sentence, 90% will have clicked the back button already, but I insist you have a short read, if only to crit my idea. Thankyou.

The rules are a tad grey on the area of company vehicles, but as far as i'm aware, you can drive a turbocharged/supercharged/other high powered vehicles with the proof that there is no other vehicle available at the workplace to go about your daily business, on your P plates that is.

You can create a business and register the name etc. online for like $80 (correct me if im wrong). When I find my new car (BA XR6T ute) and I was to have my own business name registered as an operating business, and the vehicle was registered BY THE COMPANY, and not myself, then I should be safe(ish) from the top blokes in blue.

Of course, to be completely de-badged, and the engine bay tidied up a bit so that it doesn't have "TURBO" in big writing righ in front of the police officer scrumagging around under the bonnet. Even swap the xr front with a monty one if it came to that.

So honestly, if the vehicle was driven within the laws of the road and not smoking 'em up down the main strip, I should be right? Maybe even get the company name in a sticker on the doors or on the bonnet. Its not as far fetched as it may seem.

Now, commence the critisism (constructive, I would hope lol) and continue to tell me how stupid I am/how I should just wait until i'm off my P's etc. Thankyou for your time.

Matty

You can get an exemption from the RTA, register the car in fathers or mothers name and get the exempion. Only applys on OEM turbo cars.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

To do that you need to prove exceptional circumstances and to show that there is no other car you can drive, you cant sell this to get another one, you MUST use the family car.

Needing the car to drive from a country town to the city 3 times a week for life saving treatment and having no other family vehicle is an exceptional circumstance.

Wanting to be hectik because you don't like being outrun by VL turbos isn't.

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

And really, if its not dumped on 20's, so i'd keep the 17's or 18's it came with and only lower it a TAD if at all.. with company stickers on it, you'd never get pulled over for a random check if you were driving properlly..

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Falcon

VIC, Australia

yer but nobody likes a smart a** who exploits loop holes. your right its unlikely ull get pulled over. thing is though if they find your turbo and cant on the spot get u for it im sure they can follow it up. and also who's car is 100% roadworthy all the time? it thought mine was then went to sell the older eb and the mechanic found about 8 things.

just sayin be careful cos they will probs get you for something else if they dont like what your doing :P

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:14 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i dont think you will get away with it.
as the company vehicle is owned by a company that your owner of.
so technically you wont get an exception because you as the owner has to choose the company vehicle and knowing the p plate restriction you therefore should have choosen a vehicle thats not restricted.
and if going to drive it within the road rules.. and your not going to drive it hard or do burnouts ect why buy a turbo in the first place..

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
i dont think you will get away with it.
as the company vehicle is owned by a company that your owner of.
so technically you wont get an exception because you as the owner has to choose the company vehicle and knowing the p plate restriction you therefore should have choosen a vehicle thats not restricted.
and if going to drive it within the road rules.. and your not going to drive it hard or do burnouts ect why buy a turbo in the first place..

For a fairly slow build up I guess.. seeing that the xr6t can be bought for the same price or cheaper then a similar quality xr6. You have a point where you point out that I would be the owner nd that I should have chosen a more appropriate vehicle. Although the letter you carry with you in the car only has to state "general manager of xyz pty ltd" etc. Its a fair loophole, and I guess I am being a tad smart for exploiting that. I know I will be called an idiot amongst other things for even thinking about it. There is an unimaginable amount of threads on all of the modifications websites about P platers talking about driving a turboacharged or supercharged vehicle etc.. I just believe that my point is a valid loophole which is begging to be exploited.

I guess I'll learn the hardway. lol. On the letter it would have to say that the vehicle is a company vehicle with rights to use as a take-home car in my "employment contract" and that I had sold my personal car because I have the ute to drive. I don't see any problems with this anyways, but each to their own I guess..

Matty

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 327 rwkw

WA, Australia

will make your life a misery come tax time.

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I think you should just deal with it. From what i've seen 99.9% of p platers shouldn't even be allowed to drive a stock N/A falcon, let alone a modified one or a turbo one.

rules are rules. and in this case it's a damn good rule.

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

YOU are not the 0.1%

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
I think you should just deal with it. From what i've seen 99.9% of p platers shouldn't even be allowed to drive a stock N/A falcon, let alone a modified one or a turbo one.

*agree's completely*

Look, having the ability to blow just about any car out of the water is fun, but in the news too often you hear about people dieing with speed and drags and such.

i think 6 died the other night in separate accidents and if you'll care to think back not too long ago, a major incident in your home town involving young people and a person driving way too fast

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:

Yes, and at one stage I was in the 99.9%, but lifestyle changes have put me into the 0.1% (having a child). There is a time and place for using the power a car has, the street is not the place, and a majority of young drivers do not realise this, hence the introduction of P plate restrictions. If you want a B-Series, just get an N/A XR6

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:13 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Everybody has completely missed the point, BUT, that is understandable seeing as its involving a modified vehicle with a P plate on the window. Yes, I do remember the incident at Cardross, next to my home town of Mildura where 6 young people died as a result of a drunken lunatic who deserves to put away for life, as it is more reasonable than letting him have a quick ending. How could I forget..??

The way everyone is replying, they are assuming that I was consiering purchasing a turbocharged vehicle with means to drive dangerously. It was only a thread asking opinions of if the simple idea would work? I'm not saying im the best driver on the road, OR in that 0.1%. Im a P plater, with plenty to learn. I drive normally everyday going about my duties, work and personal. I dont hoon, race, or cruise pointlessly. Its completley stupid, IMHO. I think i'll just take the chance anyway, meh.

And yes, I'm aware of the fact that you did warn me.

Cheers ;)

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:17 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

matty340 wrote:
Everybody has completely missed the point, BUT, that is understandable seeing as its involving a modified vehicle with a P plate on the window. Yes, I do remember the incident at Cardross, next to my home town of Mildura where 6 young people died as a result of a drunken lunatic who deserves to put away for life, as it is more reasonable than letting him have a quick ending. How could I forget..??

The way everyone is replying, they are assuming that I was consiering purchasing a turbocharged vehicle with means to drive dangerously. It was only a thread asking opinions of if the simple idea would work? I'm not saying im the best driver on the road, OR in that 0.1%. Im a P plater, with plenty to learn. I drive normally everyday going about my duties, work and personal. I dont hoon, race, or cruise pointlessly. Its completley stupid, IMHO. I think i'll just take the chance anyway, meh.

And yes, I'm aware of the fact that you did warn me.

Cheers ;)

and if thats the case why get a turbo?
insurance will be rediculously high, you said your going to de badge it so people wont know its a turbo.
so what is the point of getting the turbo? :idea: to drive it hard and possably hoon:!:
and please dont say you wont hoon. because you will.
i know i would thats what the turbo is there for...

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

I agree withflouting laws where you can, :roll: and also agree that 18 year olds just ain't up to the job of guaranteeing everyones safety if you give them anything around 200RWKW or above in a rear wheel drive car...

Whatever happened to the law that EVERYONE MUST RIDE MOTORBIKES FOR THREE YEARS BEFORE BEING ALLOWED A CAR?

That was a good law... Teaches you all sorts of things about how to hoon, how much it hurts, and how to avoid hooning crashes and the like. As a member of the 35 club (that's not age, that's actually a count of how many times me and a bike have come apart during full throttle road riding...) I can guarantee you that controlling front wheel slides, getting away with being high sided, tank slaps... Hitting roadworks at about 100 miles an hour because you were going toO fast in the rain and snow to see the sign... If you can get away with that for years and years without killing yourself or so much as hurting anyone else, then you should be allowed an XR6T. Let's face it, XR6T's are pretty lethal weapons. Why bother buying a huge machine gun if all you "really" want to do is drive within the laws to the corner shop and back? The corner shop owner will give you all the money if you wave a little shot gun around.... No need for the machine gun.

Comon.

I like your thinking on the loophole, it's one I would have used faced with similar situation... But, seriously - Back in our days you did not buy cars like that. You bought something and did it up until it was close.

And even then, my best mate who put a 454 or something larger into an XF ute (yes, anyone knowing how big this motor is and the engine bay size would start thinking $$$$$$$$)

Before this he had a "Phase2" and one gawd almighty coupe thing that I still have a sore a*** from where the solid race seats felt like they hit every manhole cover after 15 years....

He could drive pretty good for the average "almost twenty year old".... Entered burnout comps, did okay... Was always driving... Cars were his first true love... He put his foot down a little too hard going into a motorway tunnel and blocked the tunnel for two hours whilst everyone had to reverse out one end and he was cut from the wreckage.

He's still with us, but ended up a bit screwed up... Did years on drugs, fast cars, jail, Harleys, drugs and more jail and more fast cars... Now drives a Ford Lazer Stationwagon and gets around doing handyman type work similar to myself. He sees me with my little N/A Ford wagon and shakes his head...

Moral of the story?

Hell, stuffed if I care. Wish you the best of luck. Very first time you get done speeding in your turbo, I'll be laughing. Mate - The normally aspirated "slow" 4 litres are bloody fast enough.

Before you suggest people are missing the point...

I think we are still trying to work out the point...

"WHY DO YOU WANT A TURBO IN THE FIRST PLACE?"

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next