Fordmods Logo

Fuel Cooler 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Fuel Cooler
Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Got a pump for the 2 door yesterday. I also have a fuel cooler which came from a 3L BMW diesel (dont ask because I wont tell).

Just wondering if anyone else has fitted a fuel cooler to their ride?

We fit aftercoolers to cool and make air more dence, so why not do the some with the fuel?

Cheers.

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

um cause fuel is naturally cold.. as if it was warm it would explode.. um i don't know how colder ya could get fuel, as it would only take more effort to get it to ignite in the combustion cycle.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Petrol has a flash point of about minus 30c so it ignites well. Diesel is about 65c. Thus diesel is a somewhat safer fuel.

I know the pump will cycle the fuel quickly and the lines aid in the cooling process but I thought it might be worth throwing out to the masses.

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

im running a fuel cooler...

reason being my fuel lines run within inches of my exhaust system for most of the length of the car (being a v8 with a twin system) and i also have much larger fuel rails than usual. after a reasonable drive if you feel the fuel tank its warm to touch.

i used an old trans cooler core and ran the fuel feed thru it, (mounted down behind the passenger brake duct) and then into the fuel rail.
the fuel tank is noticably cooler to touch and i picked up .1-.2 L/100 not much of a saving in economy but it cost me all of $10 worth of hose to setup, and i figure cooler fuel cant be a bad thing.

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Same here.. Mine is an oil cooler off a Corolla ..
Alloy return lines didn't cool enough...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the feed back.

I wnet to my tune shop today and showed them the cooler Im thinking of running. Seemed positive about it.

I should state, its not something Im looking to use to get more power, just offer the fuel a little cooler than it would without.

I was told of a carbie drag car they did. It ran an 'ice box' type of cooler (tube in a spiral and surrounded with ice). Once fitted and the fuel was on ice, they could pull an extra 3 or 4 degrees advance of ignition.

To Mitchg911 & EBXR8380. You put your coolers on the supply side on the injectors?

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Anyone remember the Vaporate product Repco was promoting a couple of years ago. The concept was to replace the plastic pintle caps on the injectors with these metal ones so that the heat would transfer to the tips of the injectors and heat the fuel up, the idea was that the hotter fuel burned more efficently. Kind of contradicts what's happened to mitch getting improved fuel economy from cooling down the fuel.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Anyone remember the Vaporate product Repco was promoting a couple of years ago. The concept was to replace the plastic pintle caps on the injectors with these metal ones so that the heat would transfer to the tips of the injectors and heat the fuel up, the idea was that the hotter fuel burned more efficently. Kind of contradicts what's happened to mitch getting improved fuel economy from cooling down the fuel.

for the record.. my fuel economy reading were taken on consecutive weeks at similar temperatures.. from sydney to canberra, cruise on 115 the whole way both times.. so i believe the increase in economy to be real..

im not sure about the repco product, but i would assume that it works on fuel atomisation, which in a properly setup injected car shouldnt really be such an issue anyhow..

having the fuel cooler as it enters the chamber may allow another degree or 2 of ignition timing, but i certainly havent tried..

i wonder if having the fuel tank cooler asssits in minimising fuel evaporation?

my cooler is setup before the injectors, how is yours setup EBXR8380?

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I fitted mine on the return line.. No point in runing high pressure through it..
Yes high temp at pindle but NOT in your lines or tanks.. Creates too much vapour...
Fitting a boost a pump reg can help.. It slows pumps down while cruising..
http://www.kennebell.net/accessories/bo ... tapump.htm
;

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i set mine up on the pressure side to cool the fuel immediately before the motor, but im not sure which way would be most efficient.. would make for an interesting experiment.

-mitch

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Just a safety thing I was thinking... Either way it doesn't really matter...
Venting bonnet would have been another option ??
But it's not a stealth look...

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

agreed on the safety aspect.. i guess this is the main issue with a front mount fuel cooler.. a reasonable front end hit will result is spilt fuel, which is bad :(

im much more inclined to stay for a stock look personally.. theres somethig about a nice clean car with not much more than a set of wheels that goes like a cut cat..

-mitch

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

mitchg911 wrote:
im not sure about the repco product, but i would assume that it works on fuel atomisation, which in a properly setup injected car shouldnt really be such an issue anyhow..

Well the company is no longer around now, so I guess that alone says something...

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:47 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Hey EB, have you noticed any change in the fuel pressure given the cooler in on the return line or do you have a large cooler fitted?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]