Future turbo build questions 

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Future turbo build questions
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Cheers mate quite helpful, I can weld , just have to get a gasless mig, I already have a haltech ecu ,
Just need someone to install it and tune

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Oil lines are piss easy to fit.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

RAPTOR_XR8 wrote:

I thought the opposite but now agree , I'm going to punch a hole in the sump then use a blow torch and braze on a fitting,

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
RAPTOR_XR8 wrote:

I thought the opposite but now agree , I'm going to punch a hole in the sump then use a blow torch and braze on a fitting,

dont do it while its on the car other wise metal shavings will end up in the sump and up into your oil pick up galleries then bearings....

pull the sump off and make sure you clean it properly before re installing it :)

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

xr6_corbin wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:
RAPTOR_XR8 wrote:

dont do it while its on the car other wise metal shavings will end up in the sump and up into your oil pick up galleries then bearings....

pull the sump off and make sure you clean it properly before re installing it :)

What about using a centre punch tho ? It won't make any shavings

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
xr6_corbin wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:
RAPTOR_XR8 wrote:

What about using a centre punch tho ? It won't make any shavings

a centre punch? the hole wont be big enough..... your talking about the oil drain line for the turbo right?

it needs to be quite a big hole otherwise it will build pressure up inside the turbo and possibly blow seals..... if u have a braided oil line kit look at the size of the return hose, you will need to drill out the sump and braze a tube on the side for the hose to fit over.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah I'm talking about the drain,I don't have the kit yet but I'll figure it out when I turbo it

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yeah well my drain hose inner diameter is about 3/8 wide, dont quote me on that. But definatly will need to braze the fitting on then drill out the hole and then clean in the inside of the sump ;)
good luck mate.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

START with centre punch to open up hole in sump..
Then work your way up using larger dia rod, bolt etc ..
There should be approx 10mm that can be tapped giving enough to
attack oil line with some sealant on threads etc...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:46 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Mark where you want to connect the drain line to the sump while in the car (to check clearances from anything around it). Buy yourself a second sump and work on that while you can still drive the car around :).

If money allows, I'd personally would buy a working second hand motor, rebuild/modify the top end (head gasket, head work, cam etc) and strap all turbo bits to it. Once full license comes, drop it in and off you go. Working motors can be had for $400, head gasket replacement, cam, new chain and guides, maybe $500 in parts. Do the labour yourself and you can have nearly new motor ready to drop in...assuming bottom end is still good. If not, another $1000 in parts.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
Mark where you want to connect the drain line to the sump while in the car (to check clearances from anything around it). Buy yourself a second sump and work on that while you can still drive the car around :).

If money allows, I'd personally would buy a working second hand motor, rebuild/modify the top end (head gasket, head work, cam etc) and strap all turbo bits to it. Once full license comes, drop it in and off you go. Working motors can be had for $400, head gasket replacement, cam, new chain and guides, maybe $500 in parts. Do the labour yourself and you can have nearly new motor ready to drop in...assuming bottom end is still good. If not, another $1000 in parts.

That sounds like a good idea. My car wont be off the road as long, and should be able to do an engine swap in a weekend

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
phongus wrote:

That sounds like a good idea. My car wont be off the road as long, and should be able to do an engine swap in a weekend

yeah thats what im doing i have bought most of my parts and i have a rebuilt EF 4L with forgys and a new turbo, microtech, bosch fuel pump, wastegate all the bits to make it go and im going to do the swap one weekend or week if i run into any problems. Tis a good idea that way you have your car off the road for the least amount of time possible. :)

you going bush bearing or ball bearing turbo? cause you will also have to tap into your cooling system for water if you go ball bearing. I can show you what i have done on my engine for coolant supply and return lines if thats the way your going.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I already have the turbo it's a holset hx35w. I think it's bush bearing I'll have to check

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:11 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG XR6 TURBO

NSW, Australia

yeah its easy to mod an engine when its out of the car or a second engine before u drop it in ,with mine i took out the engine to do the sump fitting is sealed ok but has a small leak at the rear of the motor behind the dust cover for the gear box prob one of the half moon ruber bits ill fix it later just getting the air box sorted ,,also have a prob with the fuel pump the walbro 041 has a different filter screen than the factory one its bloody hard to get it in the tank,with out the screen poping off bloody dumb idea are there filters avalible that are simular to the factory pump so it fits in ..some people on here swear by them but how do u get them in the tank with out using force ..fits in fine with out the filter on ..tryed to use the factory one but the diam of the pump inlet is smaller than the factory one ...since iv had the pump installed the car blows a little black smoke ,could be be cause the car never moves gets started and moved around the yard thats about it,,anyway any one have any probs with these pumps fiting in ef tanks or a sulution would be great... other than that the car is coming along fine ..

BANNED

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
I already have the turbo it's a holset hx35w. I think it's bush bearing I'll have to check

How much of the rest of the turbo equipment do you already have? Yobboford is selling his basically complete setup from his ED for around the 1500 mark. Only thing that is no good is his turbo (needs a rebuild). Since you already have one you are laughing. Off the top of my head its got a log manifold, full exhaust from dump to tailpipe, oil lines and sump with all fittings, j3 chip and some more stuff that doesn't quite come to mind.
If I didn't sink so many blank cheques into my truck I would have snapped it up as soon as he told me.

Now before you bag the setup for having a basic log manifold you have to remember this thing ran a 13.0 with a slipping gearbox. With a decent box behind it this thing would have been a mid 12 second runner all day every day. Throw in a cam and some headwork and you'd probably be staring down the barrel of an 11 second pass.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next