Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Future turbo build questions
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Hey all

In the future (2 years ) when I'm on my full licence I want to turbo my el xr6, but I don't won't to cut any holes for intercooler pipes or cut the body, which brings me to my next question, what other methods of cooling the air is their? I was looking at snorts liquid plenum which seems the way to go, I already have the turbo, manifold, injectors, ecu, pump. I will be taking it to a performance shop so they can install the rest like turbo oil lines ecu/ dyno tune, dump pipe.
I'll do what I can but for things I can't do I'll get someone else to. Planning on getting a 6- 10k loan so money isn't a issue.

Anyways my main question is cooling the air as I don't want to cut holes in my body. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Post subject: Re: Future turbo build questions
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Water to Air. Also, don't get a loan to mod a car, save up for it. As you said, you have 2 years to save!

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB Falcon

second of all if you loan 10k to mod an EL Falcon its still gonna be an EL Falcon just with a turbo and its resale value will probably be s**t house :roll:

Please fell free to correct me if im wrong.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

lukas_bartko wrote:
second of all if you loan 10k to mod an EL Falcon its still gonna be an EL Falcon just with a turbo and its resale value will probably be s**t house :roll:

My el xr6 is my dream car. Never plan on selling her :D
Hopefully won't spend 10k, just an estimate

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB Falcon

Fair enough :D

But as said don't loan it save it up then you dont pay intrest on savings!

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I only thought of using a loan because if I use all my savings then I could end up spending it all and have nothing :(

Or have a savings account for my car would work nicely :D

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: elxr6 turbo/te cortina 302w

NSW, Australia

why not just buy the car already done like i did.i paid 11k for elxr6 turbo car is imaculate.by buying someone elses money pit you will end up with alot more car than if you try and build it.

JUST LIKE A MIDGET AT A URINAL, I BEST BE ON MY TOES

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I like my elxr6 tho and it will be hard finding another tidy one which is turbo then it has to be within my area

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

elmattxr wrote:
why not just buy the car already done like i did.i paid 11k for elxr6 turbo car is imaculate.by buying someone elses money pit you will end up with alot more car than if you try and build it.

and if you buy some one elses money pit your can also be buying there flogged out heap of problems if you dont watch out, my mate bought a car that ran fine for 2 days, he didnt thrash it just drove it a couple of times and then the bottom end let go and a few other things that werent done properly stuffed up and it ended up costin him a rediculous amount of money and time with no car

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
elmattxr wrote:

and if you buy some one elses money pit your can also be buying there flogged out heap of problems if you dont watch out, my mate bought a car that ran fine for 2 days, he didnt thrash it just drove it a couple of times and then the bottom end let go and a few other things that werent done properly stuffed up and it ended up costin him a rediculous amount of money and time with no car

That's a good point , I already have half the turbo setup, the rest I can do myself except ecu install / tuning and the turbo oil feed lines, I can weld all the piping , I was considering getting a workshop to do everything but I can do it my self and save on $$$$

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

it always helps to save money as much as possible so you can spend it somewhere else on the car

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah or spend it on other things that are important

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:30 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

lukas_bartko wrote:

your right, but if you go out and buy a bf turbo for say 20g within 5 or 6 years its only going to be worth 14g...
how would it feel to be one of those people that spent 30g to buy there el when new and 14 years later (if they still had it) they would now be lucky if it was worth 3g..
so no matter what you do you will always loose money owning and modifying cars..

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: elxr6 turbo/te cortina 302w

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
lukas_bartko wrote:

your right, but if you go out and buy a bf turbo for say 20g within 5 or 6 years its only going to be worth 14g...
how would it feel to be one of those people that spent 30g to buy there el when new and 14 years later (if they still had it) they would now be lucky if it was worth 3g..
so no matter what you do you will always loose money owning and modifying cars..

so true... if losing money on cars was a olympic sport,i would be a gold medalist.

JUST LIKE A MIDGET AT A URINAL, I BEST BE ON MY TOES

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG XR6 TURBO

NSW, Australia

yeah turboing a ef can be expesive unless you have the knowledge to do it cheap i .built mine for under 3 k the hardests part is fitting every thing .intercooler pipes, exhaust, fuel system ..all i done for mine is a snort turbo with manifold rising rate reg fuel pump and exhaust if u look around u can buy seconhand parts such as exhaust etc prety cheap and do most of the work your self ..be ing a welder it was easy for me to do all u need are the mild steel pipes and a gasles mig welder ..thats if u are a good welder,,the rest of the stuff u can sorce as you go the only real expencive part of the build is the ecu u can still use the factory computer .a mate is running a standard computer on his ef only running 8 psi still goes good but just has the 3 inch exhaust rising rate reg and a walbro fuel pump but most go with a aftermarket ecu ..or a chip it all depends on how deep your pocket is ...theres heaps of ways to do it but u have to do ur home work to see what works and what dont allot of comments on this forum are complete s**t tryed most of them and some a real waist of time have a look a boosted e series as i have done to get a better idea or buy a car thats already built there are a few turbo ef etc going for under 2 grand getting around with all the proper gear saves u $ in the end any way hope this info helps...

BANNED

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next