Fordmods Logo

gt40 heads on boost 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: gt40 heads on boost
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:07 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xf panelvan

NSW, Australia

Hi guys, could anyone tell me if GT40 heads would be big enough for a turbo 347 at 550-600 flywheel hp?

TWIN T03 5L XF PANELVAN- THE ULTIMATE WORKHORSE!!

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Don't go over 500 fw.h.p.. Yes they are big enough.. The issue is head sealing!!! You'll need head studs and Cometic head gaskets.. The Gt heads have issues with lifting under high power...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

What about using 2V open chamber heads? I would probably have to use a 4 barrell manifold and tap in the injector bosses.I dont know of any Efi manifold for a boss 302W.I would prefer to save money on the heads and spend it on the bottom end and bolt-ons.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So its a Clevo ... Imo I'd efi the engine... Drill or weld in injector bosses and on carb manifold weld a 90* mandrel bend 3 1/2 pipe to accept EFI throttle body.. Then use an A9L EEC from States or cheap aftermarket ECU... With 42 Lb injectors the rest of efi hardware and your away...
Then there's the blow through carb option below.....
There's a few familia names on here...
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index ... board=13.0
Happy reading.....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:15 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Sorry mate! The engine is a AU roller from an XR8. It is being stroked out to 347. Will probably use rpm kit on ebay. I only have the short block at the moment so I am looking at what top end options I could use.
I dont have a big budget so I do not want to spend $3k+ on getting alloy heads done If I dont require them.
I will be spending my money on quality fasteners, gaskets and other internal bits(oil pump, girdles,rockers,blockwork etc). will also be running studs for top and bottom ends.
Will be running a single turbo, probably T04 of some description.I want boost to come on at 1800 and max revs will be 5500-6000. Have not figured out cam specs yet but I already have an EMS8860 for management. I have all the injection and electricals already in the van on a stock ED/NC motor.
Heads and manifold seem to be my main problem at the moment. I have 2V open heads and Redline Torker from my clevo but dont know what I need to put this on my windsor, and not sure if it would be any good for want I am trying to build.

That should explain everything!

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Seeing you have std block.. A T04Z sized T04 tidied up E7 heads or GTp's with GOOD springs, Exploer inlet, even a cleaned up H.O inlet is o/k with boost..std throttlebody.. Will get you close to block breaking torque....As for cam ? Just use 1:72 roller rockers on std cam...Changing maf is NOT required with 8860 it doesn't require one.....Then some 36 to 42 Lb injectors...
Aim for just under 9 to 1 compression then if there's turbo lag it seems instant power...
run one range colder plugs with initial gap at .030 unless you fit MSD then 1mm ....
Walbro 225 intank efi pump...
You'll require an external wastegate, but should be supplied with Snort kit....The E bay intercoolers work good at your power level.. If proper sized turbo [compressor] is fitted? It won't heat the air so much anyway...No need to fit aftermarket fuel reg as std fuel pressure is o/k ...

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:16 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Factory ford 302 block crack out @ 400rwhp ( approx) this can be raised by balancing of internal componends and stud girdle my firend 412RWHP 347 ( NA ) has a stud girdle he paid $400 or $500 for it its ultra high tensile steel said to raise the cracking point to over 500rwhp so with balancing and this you should be safe on the block

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

[quote="Anton"]Factory ford 302 block crack out @ 400rwhp ( approx) this can be raised by balancing of internal componends and stud girdle my firend 412RWHP 347 ( NA ) has a stud girdle he paid $400 or $500 for it its ultra high tensile steel said to raise the cracking point to over 500rwhp so with balancing and this you should be safe on the block[/quote

Ford say 450 continuous horse power. So 500 on every now and then is o/k .. The trouble is you don't know what it takes BRFORE it breaks...Btw they can break from cam valley down to mains, stud girdle doesn't stop them cracking ...

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]