how long??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: how long???
Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

Ok what i want to know is how efficient is a turbo setup.I mean with a rebuilt 4L engine either eb/ed or ef/el.With a rebore new rings,forged pistons,slight head work,basically a rebuild of a 4L with a cam to suit the turbo.Also with all associated parts to run properly like from intercooler to the exhaust.How long will a turbo on a 4L eb to el engine seem to last???Also the life on these engines would depend on the driving of the engine if it were to be raced on track occassionally with higher boost and then driven daily with the boost screwed down for street,what sort of life could you expect???

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: A massive sideways utensil.

NSW, Australia

mate, if you have a good tuner that dosent s**t ya, and a well built engine that you always look after. it should give you trouble free operation for a few years depending on how many k's you do. But i spose sometimes that can be a bit much to ask in the world of car modification...

XR6 conversion, CAI, 3inch intake, modified intake plenum, polished TB, 2.5inch exhaust, modified cat, pwr radiator and expansion tank, BTR, kevlar bands, JMM 3K converter, shiftkit, 3.91, 31spline spool, 31spline billet axel$, Nolathane, RDA golds, Custom interior, genuine GT's

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: A massive sideways utensil.

NSW, Australia

the life of an engine really can really depend on the quality of parts aswell. Dont use cheap s**t

XR6 conversion, CAI, 3inch intake, modified intake plenum, polished TB, 2.5inch exhaust, modified cat, pwr radiator and expansion tank, BTR, kevlar bands, JMM 3K converter, shiftkit, 3.91, 31spline spool, 31spline billet axel$, Nolathane, RDA golds, Custom interior, genuine GT's

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

efficiency? I hope your not talking about fuel efficiency cause if so don't build a turbo lol.

How long is a piece of string? A turbo engine could punt around for ages if built with decent components a good tune and driven gently....alternatively the same engine could f**k up the first time you smash out a quarter.

There's too many variables to say how long an engine will last, all a turbo does is put a bit more strain on an engine (which if tuned to "last a long time" as well as built with components to suit would have a pretty minimal difference to a normal engine....obviously there's more parts to f**k up though).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

The biggest factor with relibaillity is your own right foot. Drive lightly and you should get over half a mill easy without breaking anything.
If you drive as if you've just dumped a brick on the accellerator then..... I dunno..... 20.....40.....50.... even 100 thousand kms maybe?

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i dont care about fuel consumption.i'm building a ed i6 engine to handle some boost,i'm also having a btr 4spd auto rebuild and built tough to handle to power from the motor the diff will just be a rebuilt borg warner with billet axles a 3.9 gear with detroit locker.My engine will support 280rwkw+ every day driven and on the weekends turn to boost up to 300rwkw+ for the ocassional race track meet.
I ask the question "how long".i have never owned a turbo or supercharged vehicle.i drive my cars i dont flog them but i do tend to have a sort of heavy foot lol.i have a friend with a vs commodore 355 bult by come and a vortech v2 blower 6spd all the go stuff and he floggs it every where and its been going for more than 3 years.i want to build something that will be reliable make good power (constant) and also put a smile on your face.i dont like to build something that will last like a couple of months and then will need another rebuild.but as people have mentioned before about using good parts,that is what i will be doing and will be doing it all right.trhanks for your help guys.

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

One thing about turbo's is they don't realy need a lower final drive to make them fast.. They work on load .. Though a lower final drive will help auto to a point strength wise.. 8.5 compression 330 rwkw with forged pistons and rods .. It should last along time..
With good tune..
Fit a BIG trans cooler on auto..
Some have in the past just fitted two AU head gaskets to lower comp on std engine and have done 100,000's of klrs.. But lets face it !! Abuse it and it'll fail too.. Set rev limiter to 5500 and moderate boost level.. Set ECU engine overboost just over what engine is tuned at for ectra safetly if things go wrong... If anything a well sorted turbo engine should outlast an n/a engine...
Due to lower rpm if driven that way...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey will a turbo exhaust manifold off a BA XR6 turbo fit onto a ed head???i dont know if the bolt holes are the same.cheers

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: turbo ef falcon

ACT, Australia

my mate built an engine and gives it a hiding, if your not after huge horsies (400+) then one with forgies n s**t should last ages. he has about 450hp at the wheels and its been going for years... and he gives it a gut full every time he drives

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick. Not wounded. Dead.

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

KRUPTD wrote:
Hey will a turbo exhaust manifold off a BA XR6 turbo fit onto a ed head???i dont know if the bolt holes are the same.cheers

No, different shaped ports and the bolt pattern is different. I have heard of people making adaptor plates though.

Go a snort stage 4 tuned lenght stainless if you want to do it right. Its a great manifold and they have come along way now from the earlier manifolds they where making.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:51 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AIT Turbo EA S

QLD, Australia

I have an EA going on 19 years old with nearly 200,000 ks on it. Has been turbo charged since the day it was purchased brand new. Engine was freshened up once about ten years ago and above average maintenance has been kept up. It's still going strong.

However if you are making 500hp not 270hp like mine has all these years then you are probably on a shorter time frame of reliability. Keep it maintained and how long is a piece of string...

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

my first decision was a 280rwkw daily but have been doing more research and have decided with a more realistic power output of between 200 to 250rwkw to start with and them when im happy with that setup go further.my main aim was to keep the standard bottom end with a mild turbo cam and turbo setup nothing to fancy.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yep !! Keep in mind these engines have a long 4" stroke and when boost is added the engines efficiancy increases BIG TIME..
The torque doubles easy..
Imo if engine is in good nick ??
I would spend the $$ on good ECU and tune with good fuel pump and injectors..
They are much more durable with boost than most people think!!
You can buy low klr engines from wreckers ..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]