Fordmods Logo

How to tell if your car is a Factory Turbo? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: How to tell if your car is a Factory Turbo?
Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:18 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR6T

WA, Australia

Just wondering, how could I tell my XR6T I just brought is the proper engine? On the compliance it says Engine Type 'Y', is this turbo? :o Can't find it anywhere and starting to panic... also, are all intercoolers silver? The one in my car is black. Also, I have this weird steel piping into the turbo and a aftermarket BOV (makes noise) and also a custom exhaust... it's pretty quick..just wondering if anyone can help me identify O_O.... put a K&N filter in it as it had a stock? white filter in the air intake.

***Also, it has VOID VOID VOID VOID all over the 'compliance stickers' on the white details in the engine bay.

2004 BA XR6T || Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, more mods to come...||

Post subject: Re: How to tell if your car is a Factory Turbo?
Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:33 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

The intercoolers are all black on BA and BF's. Silver on Typhoons and are also a bit bigger. The best thing is to ring Ford give them the VIN and find out the details about it.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Oh thanks, I'll probably do that soon.. Just wondering why they would have VOID all over the compliance stickers, I'm assuming they do that after you put a mod-on within the first 3 years of factory warranty or something?? I'm unsure...

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:26 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Its possible thats the reason why. But you never know these days. Personally if i was you i would not have got it if i saw that and knew it was modded cause it might have had a hard life.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Yeah I thought about it too, seen the receipts it looks like the mods were only JUST done, i.e within the last 2000kms.. apparently it belonged to some 40year old (first owner) with kids that was trading it in for cash not for another car as he had a few (wife was prego) well this is the s**t story i got but it matches up from what I have on the car etc etc etc. I'm assuming they've voided the stuff because of all the mods or 2nd owner not sure.. lucky enough it's only done 80,000kms and I only paid 18k for it.. pretty happy with that though. Doesn't seem like it's hard too hard of a life but s**t, if the price is right (or at the top end of my budget) and it's a nice car, im talking interior has not been touched, absoutlely immaculate i'm thinking that it was looked after quite nicely (esp since such low kms!)

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:02 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

where exactly are these void stickers??

if there like the e series and has vin no stickers on the panels and the stickers say void..
it means someone has tried to peel the stickers off..
so it might have been in an accident and had panels off another vehicle fitted which would have a different vin no on the stickers and they have tried to peel them off..????????

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ford have either caught that it has been flashed within its factory warranty period or they had proof it had been used in motorsport and voided the factory warranty...............

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Ford have either caught that it has been flashed within its factory warranty period or they had proof it had been used in motorsport and voided the factory warranty...............

Could it have been that an aftermarket exhaust was fitted within this period?? OR what my thoughts are, a young guy has serviced it *I brought this from Range Ford in Perth* and that he has stamped VOID all over it?

I highly doubt its been in a crash as I would like to say that I could tell :P been right thru it.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

EVL098 wrote:

Could it have been that an aftermarket exhaust was fitted within this period?? OR what my thoughts are, a young guy has serviced it *I brought this from Range Ford in Perth* and that he has stamped VOID all over it?

I highly doubt its been in a crash as I would like to say that I could tell :P been right thru it.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

the build and compliance plates are 1 use only stickers, and once removed and refitted say void all over the, so they have been off the vehicle at some point. I'd be checking engine number and chassis number (from the stamping on the body) and make sure it all matches up.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

xpression wrote:
the build and compliance plates are 1 use only stickers, and once removed and refitted say void all over the, so they have been off the vehicle at some point. I'd be checking engine number and chassis number (from the stamping on the body) and make sure it all matches up.

Even if they match, demand your money back, as your car is now considered a Statutory Write off IIRC.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

67RCE wrote:
xpression wrote:

Even if they match, demand your money back, as your car is now considered a Statutory Write off IIRC.

I'm not sure someone as big as Range Ford in W.A would be allowed to sell a car like that? I'm sure that would be something bad O_o...
Its' werid, on the back of the Manual that comes with the car (this is definately the legit one as it has old' written all over it) on the back of this, it has the same VOID VOID VOID like as if to say that this was put ON the engine bay at one point (ontop of the compliance stickers) and once removed its voided any details or something its very strange....

I took it down to the DMV today and they said it's all fine. It does look like the legit engine as it has the red rocker cover etc and it wouldn't make sense to blow an engine pre-80,000kms. its not fully modded and hasn't been flashed or anything jsut the exhaust + blowoff valve (and stainless steel outlet pipe) i mean s**t, it still had the factory (white) air filter. Surely that wouldn't consist of a dodgy job. Like I know if it was me and I was s**t I woulda worked that motor to infinity then sold it once I noticed some probs...

any ideas?

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Sounds like a rebirth vehicle to me....

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:11 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i would go back to Range Ford in W.A and ask what the story is!!!!!

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
i would go back to Range Ford in W.A and ask what the story is!!!!!

Yeah spoke to them ,they said yeah it's all fine. etc I mean waht would you expect? They are a legit dealer to I mean well known / good history etc.. got a new used car warranty also... with Swan Insurance or 'Bluecare 4 Star'.. whatever that is.

I'm fairly sure this is the original vehicle, its really in 'too good' condition to not be.. discs don't have wear ,diff doesn't have it etc, i reckon ive driven it harder in the last week i've had it than it has ever.. i mean i've done 1000kms in it already and its only done 80k :( weird.....

:( only sound i hear is a slow whine (reminds me of brake pads or something) that is only audible at low speeds increases with acceleration (not a diff noise)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next