Fordmods Logo

Impco lpg system turbo compatibility? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Impco lpg system turbo compatibility?
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: VZ SS 6Ltr ute, Honda VFR800

VIC, Australia

G'Day i was wondering if any one has done an lpg turbo setup running an impco system?

Does anyone even know if an impco system would work under boost??

I'm talking about a gas system like this one

Thanks

My Cars
2006 VZ SS cammed 6Ltr ute 295rwkW
2004 BA XR6T - 290rwkW 12.5@113mph ( SOLD )
1996 EFII Fairmont - 130rwkW 15.5@91mph ( SOLD )

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Easy answer to that one no. U would need a GRA Gas setup, its likely u have the wrong tank, you need 2 converters to keep up with the amount of gas a forced motor will use, also you will need a throttle body to get the gas into the motor and the gra setup lets u tune it properly whereas the impco system cannot be tuned to run a turbo/supercharger. But you could get the gas tank for free from a wreckers & get it tested and install the 2 converters, most of your lines would be ok i think (dont quote me on that).

Hope that helps.

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

http://www.iwemalpg.com/TORNADO.htm
This system uses an impco converter but with a heavier spring to raise the line pressure, but uses a mixer designed for use with the higher line pressure. Flows a lot better 2!

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks guys keep those replies coming!!!

My Cars

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

balizticbobo wrote:
http://www.iwemalpg.com/TORNADO.htm
This system uses an impco converter but with a heavier spring to raise the line pressure, but uses a mixer designed for use with the higher line pressure. Flows a lot better 2!

Have u seen that on a turbo motor??? Would b interesting to see how well it works on a turbo app. Is the tuning for these as easy as the GRA kits??? I know with my gra kit its costing me 200bux for the entire tuneup :) dunno if it could beat that. :)

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I have said this a few times, and it always seems to fall on deaf ears. The Landi Renzo SICSEC81 SM+P is known to have made in excess of 250 Flywheel kilowatts on safari turbo kitted lexus V8's.

I fully anticipate that my car is now making 160-170rwkw, I will soon be able to back it up with a dyno sheet.

If you are not looking for monster power, and want to keep some economy running LPG and Turbo these are worth a look.

Turbo AU falcon LPG 222.5 RWKW.
BAMKII XR6T with SVI - the first one!.
CR500E - Road registered CR500
VF1000R Mid 80's racer built as a HMP special
T88 Turbo XT Falcon with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TURBOTAXI wrote:
I have said this a few times, and it always seems to fall on deaf ears. The Landi Renzo SICSEC81 SM+P is known to have made in excess of 250 Flywheel kilowatts on safari turbo kitted lexus V8's.

I fully anticipate that my car is now making 160-170rwkw, I will soon be able to back it up with a dyno sheet.

If you are not looking for monster power, and want to keep some economy running LPG and Turbo these are worth a look.

I'm intersted, what sort of gas set up are you running???

My Cars

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Mr.Kiss wrote:
TURBOTAXI wrote:

I'm intersted, what sort of gas set up are you running???

As mentioned above - a Landi Renzo SECSIC81 SM+P - everything else is as it left the factory as a duel fuel AU. I run a balance pipe from the positive pressure side of the turbo to the back of the convertor. I am yet to hit the Dyno with this convertor.

They cost $220 brand new and I have done thousands of boosted K's on this type of convertor.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

gryph wrote:
Easy answer to that one no. U would need a GRA Gas setup, its likely u have the wrong tank, you need 2 converters to keep up with the amount of gas a forced motor will use, also you will need a throttle body to get the gas into the motor and the gra setup lets u tune it properly whereas the impco system cannot be tuned to run a turbo/supercharger. But you could get the gas tank for free from a wreckers & get it tested and install the 2 converters, most of your lines would be ok i think (dont quote me on that).

Hope that helps.

why would he have the wrong tank, his tank *should* be fine.
single or twin converters highly depends on how much power you want.
the standard lines would most likely need to be replaced as the ID will be too small to get any real amounts of LPG through them.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:
why would he have the wrong tank, his tank *should* be fine.
single or twin converters highly depends on how much power you want.
the standard lines would most likely need to be replaced as the ID will be too small to get any real amounts of LPG through them.

Yes my tank should be fine, its just been re-stamped, so if/when i put a turbo on i should on i just need to put in a bigger gas line, as gas is a liquid at this piont so there should be no need to run twin lines.

And back on the topic the speck sheet on the mixer says something about 5 PSI. I'll check it agian and find out what it means. Its a impco 200 mixer.

My Cars

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

It might be ok depending on the power he wants but to get the sort of power to make a turbo worthwhile $$$ wise (and i dont mean huge numbers) u need a multi valve tank, the single valves just dont flow enuf gas.......... Not baggin u @ all taxi as i know nothing about your setup ie. how u came across it and for how much??? but i think 160-170rwkw just doesnt offset the costs involved with enuf go.

Just my 2 cents :)

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Reading street machine not too long ago (within the last 2 years) about a few warmed up falcon 6's some of which ran lpg and doin 10;s and 11's.
Not sure which issue but it had a Green xf in it with a turbo 6.

LPG and boost go well if u can supply the lpg sufficiently. A lean-out with lpg is some thing that should be avoided.....

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

gryph wrote:
It might be ok depending on the power he wants but to get the sort of power to make a turbo worthwhile $$$ wise (and i dont mean huge numbers) u need a multi valve tank, the single valves just dont flow enuf gas.......... Not baggin u @ all taxi as i know nothing about your setup ie. how u came across it and for how much??? but i think 160-170rwkw just doesnt offset the costs involved with enuf go.

thats a fair call. I do 150 k's a day communting, so economy is important to me. I feel dangerous enough at the moment. I paid $3k for the kit (Snort stage IV) and another $4k or so on all the other bits and engineering.

I think $7k is cheap compared to what it would cost for an N/A engine to make 160rwkw to 170rwkw. The bonus is that my off boost economy and driving experience is very good.

The SM+P convertor cost $221 delivered to Dubbo.

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

SA, Australia

is there any dangers to having LPG compressed (as opposed to mixing into the already compressed air via GRA, etc)?

ie. in the form of putting a normal style mixer on the inlet to the turbo so the turbo compresses the air/lpg mix...

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TURBOTAXI wrote:
gryph wrote:

thats a fair call. I do 150 k's a day communting, so economy is important to me. I feel dangerous enough at the moment. I paid $3k for the kit (Snort stage IV) and another $4k or so on all the other bits and engineering.

I think $7k is cheap compared to what it would cost for an N/A engine to make 160rwkw to 170rwkw. The bonus is that my off boost economy and driving experience is very good.

The SM+P convertor cost $221 delivered to Dubbo.

Good work on that mate, im hoping to get mine done for under 8k with 300rwkwish. But thats making alot of my stuff myself only brand new part i have bought so far is my garret t04z ball bearing. Getting the gas kit in a few weeks once the tax return comes in, free gas tank :) and im paying 1300 for the GRA setup. Pretty happy so far all in all, scary part is gonna be getting it all to work properly im gonna have to meet up with sum1 who has a turbo ea-au n have a good look @ everything b4 i attempt the install.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next