Fordmods Logo

M90 into EB i6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: M90 into EB i6
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

SA, Australia

Budget job M90 into Fairmont EB II. Just wondering what peoples thoughts and critisims are on making a custom intake plenum to mount an m90 (flipped clockwise 90 degrees). The M90 would displace air directly into the manifold/plenum and the throttle body would be located before the charger on the rear of the M90 with a bend and pod behind passenger headlight.

If it fits nicely as i have calculated so far and doesn't have any problems, I would chuck in some larger injectors and maybe a custom grind camshaft with longer duration exhaust. Only low 6-7 psi, so not planning on intercooling. Already running nice extractors, no cat and 2.5" 1 Muffler exhaust.

Endgame I want a little more grunt from my exhaust, with low down torque to finish up my freshly painted EB project (first project car).

Questions:
- How 'well' can I expect the setup to run with 'stock cam and stock tune'
- How 'well' can I expect the setup to run with 'custom cam and stock tune'

Post subject: Re: M90 into EB i6
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

M90 is a little small isn't it? I'd be going an M112. I'd prefer to have more power available, than going to all the effort of setting one up for little gain. Also to have it running right it will HAVE to be tuned. If that's with a J3 chip or full aftermarket ecu, I'm not to sure as E series aren't my specialty.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:38 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

TimmyAussie wrote:
Budget job M90 into Fairmont EB II. Just wondering what peoples thoughts and critisims are on making a custom intake plenum to mount an m90 (flipped clockwise 90 degrees). The M90 would displace air directly into the manifold/plenum and the throttle body would be located before the charger on the rear of the M90 with a bend and pod behind passenger headlight.

If it fits nicely as i have calculated so far and doesn't have any problems, I would chuck in some larger injectors and maybe a custom grind camshaft with longer duration exhaust. Only low 6-7 psi, so not planning on intercooling. Already running nice extractors, no cat and 2.5" 1 Muffler exhaust.

Endgame I want a little more grunt from my exhaust, with low down torque to finish up my freshly painted EB project (first project car).

Questions:
- How 'well' can I expect the setup to run with 'stock cam and stock tune'
- How 'well' can I expect the setup to run with 'custom cam and stock tune'

it wont go to well on a stock tune, to be honest it will more than likely just kill the engine,
it will just lean out, lean fuel and hot compressed air is a recipe for melted pistons..

at a minimum you will need larger injectors and a j3 chip to modify the tune

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

M90 will work on a 4.0L. They are fitted to 3.8L V6 Mustangs and can perform quite well. Eaton state that they will be suitable up to 5.0L but if I was putting a Charger on a 5.0L I would be using the M112. M112's have been fitted to the 4.0L but are a little tight for room causing a very small plenum chamber on the intake. M90 will allow you a little more room.

Stock cam will be OK but would perform a little better with a custom grind. Remember with Positive Displacement Superchargers you have boost from the time you hit the throttle so you would be better off with a cam that comes in earlier than later, Stock XR would be suitable for the application.

Stock tune will not work with any boosted application. You will need at a minimum 36lb injectors, 42lb better, J3 Chip, I would recommend SCT Eliminator, High flow Fuel Pump, Walbro 255L or similar, BA XR6T Fuel Reg with AU Fuel Rail, Extractors and at a minimum 2.5" exhaust.

You won't get Massive RwKw increase, maybe up to 190 - 200 RwKw depending on the tune (The Tuner), PSI, Engine condition but the torque jump will be substantial, 600Nm +. You will run out of puff up high but you will get there quick. M90 is best suited for low to mid range improvements.

PS: Fit a f**k cat, use a good high flow and there will be minimal flow loss. Even the Factory cat flow well.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Turbo VT, VL Calais Trubo, HQ SS

VIC, Australia

I am chucking a whipple blower on my EL in the coming months with a water to air cooler adapter plate. I cant wait to take it for spin. The torque these blowers produce is insane and they just pin you back in your seat.

My car is going to be a daily hence I want quick off the line.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:37 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

SA, Australia

Thank you all for the replies. I have a bit to think about as I finish the paint job on my EB. I was originally going to go with a windsor v8, was sideing with a 351, but the complications and cost just kept growing. It sounds like M90 is a great size for a 4.0L i6 engine, it should provide a substantial increase in torque and to a lesser extent power in the low to mid rpm range.

I've done some more research from your suggestions and I think I will use a Custom Grind Cam, Longer duration and maybe earlier opening?

I will install a Hi Flow 2.5" or maybe 3" cat depending if 2.5" is enough flow?

I will install 42lb injectors and XR6 turbo or similar fuel regulator with a higher rate fuel pump. What's the difference with the AU rail? Is it able to withstand a little more pressure?

As for the tuneing I am thinking of getting a chip burner for my J3 chip and starting off with a nice safe rich fuel map and seeing how well I can get it running.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

AU Fuel rail can accept the BA Turbo fuel reg. EF/EL can't.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:52 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED Fairmont GHIA 1994

NSW, Australia

TimmyAussie,

Go for it! I have toyed with the same idea on my 5.0L. M90 are well suited for the 4.0L. If you search through google many have done this on their 5.0L Mustang:

Check the video out 12.4 Sec's.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/superch ... 6-psi.html

http://forums.corral.net/forums/superch ... -0l-2.html

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/proje ... stang.html

With the i6 you would have plenty of room to mount the M90, you could mount it on the drivers side, pipe it through a front mount intercooler then straight into your intake.

Anything is possible you just need to take your time with finding the best location to mount, the belt set-up, taking it for test runs/dyno's to see what other components need to be upgraded to get the most out of the set-up.

And Dont Forget the Photos!

Just found this i6 with and M112 on it:
ford-bodykits-f15/show-us-your-e-series-t42035-3030.html

1994 ED Fairmont Ghia
2006 BFMKII Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:29 am 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

Ghiaed1994 wrote:
TimmyAussie,

that would be mine.

the kit is a snort kit i bought off nicco in qld. it made 170rwkw on 4 psi and im now running 9psi but untuned, will be tuned in a few weeks. im going to have water meth intercooler, fitting bigger injectors, i already have a bigger intank pump and i run 100ron when i can. i dont have a touque number but once its all done and tuned ill take it to a dyno day that has a NM figure. bum in the seat its 600+ and it motors!

i will be in Adelaide for AFD this year 10th March and it will be tuned and intercooled buy then (expecting 220rwkw-ish) im happy to take you for a spin and talk to ya more then.

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ausedwagon wrote:
Ghiaed1994 wrote:
TimmyAussie,

that would be mine.

the kit is a snort kit i bought off nicco in qld. it made 170rwkw on 4 psi and im now running 9psi but untuned, will be tuned in a few weeks. im going to have water meth intercooler, fitting bigger injectors, i already have a bigger intank pump and i run 100ron when i can. i dont have a touque number but once its all done and tuned ill take it to a dyno day that has a NM figure. bum in the seat its 600+ and it motors!

i will be in Adelaide for AFD this year 10th March and it will be tuned and intercooled buy then (expecting 220rwkw-ish) im happy to take you for a spin and talk to ya more then.

Mate I would love to take you up on that offer if you dont mind. I am almost there with my EL. I am getting a whipple fitted to my EL with a water to air intercooler set up from snort.
But I sure as hell wouldnt mind going for a spin a blown e-series.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:27 am 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

BoostedVT wrote:
Mate I would love to take you up on that offer if you dont mind. I am almost there with my EL. I am getting a whipple fitted to my EL with a water to air intercooler set up from snort.
But I sure as hell wouldnt mind going for a spin a blown e-series.

hit me up with a pm towards the end of next month, it will be tuned buy then and i should have time to meet up with ya.

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sweet as mate. Appreciate it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]