Fordmods Logo

mains studs and girdle for E series I6 block 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: mains studs and girdle for E series I6 block
Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:45 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I am considering using studs and a AU girdle for a ED block. I think studs are available for the BA block and there is a girdle for the AU that could be used in some form.
My questions are
Has anyone got any photos of the bottom end of an AU to see how to set this up. I am really interested to see how different the main caps are between the E series and AU/BA.

Secondly anyone know who stocks the BA main studs

Regards

Turbo 6s rule

Post subject: Re: mains studs and girdle for E series I6 block
Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:54 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

turbotrana wrote:
I am considering using studs and a AU girdle for a ED block. I think studs are available for the BA block and there is a girdle for the AU that could be used in some form.
My questions are
Has anyone got any photos of the bottom end of an AU to see how to set this up. I am really interested to see how different the main caps are between the E series and AU/BA.

Secondly anyone know who stocks the BA main studs

Regards

trana dont be tight get yourself an au block and fit a ba girdle and studs available through me or atomic!

you have the ems so no drama

then you have the alloy sump with side bolt's too like a ba

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

the one piece au main cap girdle goes strait onto the e series bottom end and the sump fitts and all, u just need the longer au bolts or custom studs.

atomic sell 12 and 16mm billet ally girdles for eseries anyway, and pritty sure they have studs to!!

but i would also get the au block and sump. far more ridged setup, i take it u will be reving this 1 up and be looking for sumthing around 400-500rwkw area.

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:49 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Thanks Fritz and Dynowog.

I have got a 50000km AU engine and trans sitting there but its a pitty to to use what is basically a brand new motor when you have a few E series motors that will do the job.

The BA main caps have a raised section where the bolt tightens so the girdle and crank scraper baffle clears the caps. The whole girdle covers both sides of the bolts cause the oil pump is on the front of the crank.

I am not sure if the AU main caps are the same as the BA but chances are it is. So that would mean spacers on top of the main cap for the girdle and scraper for it to clear in a e series engine. Also the oil pump is in the way so one side of the girdle has to be in two pieces.

The bottom end is pretty strong as it is but if its not too much mucking around I will see what I can do. This engine should be capable of 650-700 rwhp which I believe it will safely do. These straight 6s are pretty good with all those main caps unlike the V6s which would just s**t themselves in the main cap dept with 500rwhp

Nevertheless I will give atomic a call.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:02 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

turbotrana wrote:
Thanks Fritz and Dynowog.

I have got a 50000km AU engine and trans sitting there but its a pitty to to use what is basically a brand new motor when you have a few E series motors that will do the job.

The BA main caps have a raised section where the bolt tightens so the girdle and crank scraper baffle clears the caps. The whole girdle covers both sides of the bolts cause the oil pump is on the front of the crank.

I am not sure if the AU main caps are the same as the BA but chances are it is. So that would mean spacers on top of the main cap for the girdle and scraper for it to clear in a e series engine. Also the oil pump is in the way so one side of the girdle has to be in two pieces.

The bottom end is pretty strong as it is but if its not too much mucking around I will see what I can do. This engine should be capable of 650-700 rwhp which I believe it will safely do. These straight 6s are pretty good with all those main caps unlike the V6s which would just s**t themselves in the main cap dept with 500rwhp

Nevertheless I will give atomic a call.

au suit rebuild should only be a couple of hundred?

ive been given them free b4

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Quote:

yes the au single girdle has spacers attached to it, so every thing clears.

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:22 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Atomic do girdles for E series and B series I6s but they are $650 and dont want to spend that much.
So have ordered an AU and BA girdle and plan to maybe use both tack welded together in strategic spots along with studs to do the job. Worse case scenario is just the AU girdle with studs which should be a straight fit.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:16 am 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

turbotrana wrote:
Atomic do girdles for E series and B series I6s but they are $650 and dont want to spend that much.
So have ordered an AU and BA girdle and plan to maybe use both tack welded together in strategic spots along with studs to do the job. Worse case scenario is just the AU girdle with studs which should be a straight fit.

the au bottom end on its own would be fine unless your looking at astronomical numbers!!!

Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:40 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I dont think the girdle is there for strength. I think its more for making the engine smoother. Nevertheless is does both jobs.

I've got my hands on a BA girdle with the windage tray and also the AU girdle bits. With these factory bits Its very easy and cheap to make a megastrong girdle to fit plus have a windage tray. Its only the oil pump that gets in the way of getting to one of the main cap bolts that complicates things a little. So most of the problems are solved. I just gotta find the part number for the little spacer on top of the main cap that seems not to be attached to the AU girdles anymore.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

so i take it u got the 2 piece au girdle.

for some reason the some au engines didnt get any girdle some got a 2 piece girdle that just has 1 strip per row of bolts and some got a large 1 piece. my au engine come with the 1 piece witch would be the strongest. it also had the spacers atached to the girdle.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:05 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Thanks for that.
The AU parts diagram shows a one piece with spacers. The part numbers show two part numbers with one referenced as long and the other short. The short being for the oil pump side. I got the long one thinking there would be spacers on them but there werent. There doesnt seem to be any part numbers on the diagrams but I will check again as they maybe elsewhere. The parts people you get nowadays wouldnt know the difference between piston or a dipstick. The other day had an 18yo blond parts chick served me and it was a real ordeal, but thats what you seem to get nowadays. It just makes it all the more harder and frustrating.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

so is there any clear verdict as to what you can use, as im trying to find an au block and i have a BA girdle sitting here doig nothing. so can i use a BA girdle on an AU engine?

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

y dont u just use a au girdle on a au engine.

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:11 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

The AU has two different girdles. From 98 to 2001 its a one piece with spacers on it. For 2001 onwards its a two piece with a long and short. The short being for the oil pump side. It has no spacers so with these engines the main cap casting has the raised section cast into it the same as the BA engines have.
I have just ordered the one piece (which I thought was obsolete but wasnt on closer inspection).
One thing I haven't determined yet is are the AU oil pumps slightly different to the E series as I see there being a very tight fit with the main cap just under the oil pump.

With the BA girdle you could quite easy get the angle grinder out to make it fit but at the least you may need to make up spacers depending on pre or post 2001. I guess you want the BA one cause its got the crank oil baffle on it.

Once I get the one piece with spacers I will cutting up the BA to make it fit the Eseries and will have the BA ontop of the AU girdle welded up together to have a 6mm thick girdle with a baffle. Well thats the plan.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:59 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 5 Spd EA Wagon, 5 spd EF Fairmon

VIC, Australia

turbotrana, how did you go with the twin girdles?? what bolts did you use? the windage tray isnt too far away from the crank with the other girdle underneath it??

Thanks
David

If you're not driving a manual, you are only steering...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next