Making turbo manifold for ef I6 need little hand 

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Making turbo manifold for ef I6 need little hand
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

hey guys

im on a holiday at my fokes in perth for 2 weeks and go nothing to do with my self in the arvy. So i thought i might as well get to it and make my manifold. I full use of OXY, Tig, Grinder and few other tools.

I talked to a mate few days ago and he recommend 1 1/4 Inch (32mm)pipe but i poped onto pacemaker site and there using 1 5/8 inch (41mm) pipe so what do you guys recommend for pipe size? and thickness

I looking at steam pipe for the piping.

Also i rang up steel merchant yestereday and just asked what what they though would be best to use and he said
Lime pipe

What do you guys think?

im ganna buy
1000cm x 100cm x 12cm and use that for the manifold and also use some off the end for the turbo flange as well and the wastegate flange.

I think i should use 1 5/8 Inch (41mm) steam pipe and buy the 45 degress and 90 degress bends

and ill use the Tig the weld the manifold together.

Im open for all suggestion and tricks and tips

Cheers,
Jason

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

buy one? you've several other thousand to go.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Go to an exhaust shop and buy an off the shelf manifold flange for a ford six if u can. Saves a couple of hours.

Once you've got the flange put it into the engine bay and roughly work out the space the turbo takes up. Hold a tape and measure the distance from the manifold flage to the turbo flange. Take it all out and tack a brace from in between the two. Make up the collector from the turbo flange and work back. Then its matter of linking the collectors from the manifold to the turbo flange so you dont have to work out angles.

Easily said but as long as you roughly follow those steps you wont have problems with clearances. Make sure you dummy fit it up before you weld it and make sure you put a strong back across the face of the manifold so it doesnt distort while your welding it.

Hope that helps.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Post subject: Re: Making turbo manifold for ef I6 need little hand
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

Xflow wrote:
I talked to a mate few days ago and he recommend 1 1/4 Inch (32mm)pipe

that wasnt me by any chance??

i recommend also buying the head flange, too much rooting around for the cost of about $70-80

schnoods was on the right track, but the better way to locate the turbo is to have the flange bolted too the head, and the turbo flange bolted to the turbo, and holding it in postion you then weld some braces in... keeps the right space relationship between them

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yer thats what i ganna do weld a bracket between the manifold flange and the turbo flange but that no really to much of a problem or dummy fitting it ive got 2 weeks of time to mess around play with it.
anyone got any idea on the lime pipe?
or what size to use?

Quote:
Xflow wrote:
I talked to a mate few days ago and he recommend 1 1/4 Inch (32mm)pipe

that wasnt me by any chance??

Yer that was you

just courious why you used such a smaller pipe then pacemaker?
http://www.pacemaker.com.au/ford_falcon_6cyl_ea-au.html

you can se on the site that they have used
Primary Pipe: 1 â…￾" (41mm)

should i use the 1 â…￾" (41mm) for manifold?

im NOT making one of them poor log design manifolds they poor design with resistance of chamber 2 and 5.
i want to make a a manifold bit like this but no side mounted id rather the top mount design

Also
i got no chance of buy a premade manifold in brisbane i drop into exhaust shops and ask for the manifolds and they look at me like i think it standard feature on e series falcons. They say it should cost about $800 and they will need my car for a Bucking week.

thats why im looking ay doing it for my self.

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Xflow wrote:
i got no chance of buy a premade manifold in brisbane i drop into exhaust shops and ask for the manifolds and they look at me like i think it standard feature on e series falcons. They say it should cost about $800 and they will need my car for a Bucking week.

6BOOST can make you one in brisbane. Snort performance can send you one, racetec is selling them on ebay now as well.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Quote:
6BOOST can make you one in brisbane. Snort performance can send you one, racetec is selling them on ebay now as well.

yer they got them on ebay and you can get them threw snort performance and 6boost but i don't really want to spend $750 plus on a manifold that i could make for $350 or less and i also learn a bit more about the creation of the manifolds.

i can weld great and i know how to set up the Tig and all it just im having problem with what material to use for the piping and what size i should use.

Anyone got Answer's for the pipe to use and what size i should use and what the wall thinkness of the pipe should be about?

Cheers,
Jason

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

how much searching around have you done??

you will have noticed, any manifold other than stainless, is made from steampipe... i have no idea what lime pipe is.

so to answer that question... "make it from steampipe"

wall thickness?? steampipe has a wall thickness of 3.5-4mm

pipe dia?? majority of people use 1.25in... which is what ive used, it is equal to the size of your exhaust ports, and fits nicely into an exhaust header flange, any bigger and you will have trouble fitting it between the flange bolt holes.....

also, the radius of 1.25 is nice, any bigger and you also run into space issues, the radius change from 1.25 to 1.5 is huge....

that said, ill try make one from 1.5 next time

that pictured manifold looks like pyroays to me, i had a look at pyros at autosalon and it was made from 1.5.. so, therefore, your pictured manifold is what a 1.5 manifold looks like, notice it cant be to radical due to the size of the piping

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Post subject: manifold design
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: R34 GTR

VIC, Australia

Make the runners of equal length, use 304, 321 stainless steel (do not use mild steel) and most importantly, ring up jimmockmotorsport in victoria. Jim is the number one man in the world to call for advice on this. He has the most powerful ef 6 turbo in the land.

LUMPY-6

Post subject: Re: manifold design
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

efmarek wrote:
Make the runners of equal length, use 304, 321 stainless steel (do not use mild steel) and most importantly, ring up jimmockmotorsport in victoria. Jim is the number one man in the world to call for advice on this. He has the most powerful ef 6 turbo in the land.

interesting "DO NOT USE MILD STEEL" ??? care to enlighten me??? i figure i may aswell point out to you that Jim Mock, who you consider to be THE number 1 man in the WORLD on this subject, actually uses MILD STEEL in his own turbo manifolds........

also, im glad you said the most powerful "EF" 6 turbo in the land, cos the MRD built turbo ED of john mcinnes is pumping more HP than mr mocks...

besides, there is more to making huge HP than simply the exhaust manifold

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Steam pipe and ceramic coating all the way...
It holds heat in better and stronger...
Not there's anything wrong with stainless manifolds.. They both work!!!!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Steam pipe and ceramic coating all the way...
It holds heat in better and stronger...

i was waiting to hear efmarek's argument against mild steel...

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ok i ended up buying it all in stainless steel
i got 1.5 inch 304 stainless piping and getting the bends on tuesday morning. The worst part would have to be is buying that darn flat plate for the manifold LOL

anyone know a company that sells the I6 ea-au manifold flange in stainless? or ill just buy the flat plate dosn't really matter but would be easyer is it was already cut but hay if no one sells it ill just make it :D

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Umm anyone running got a manifold sitting beside the monitor will be a life saver right now lol

im chasing measurements the location of the turbo manifold flange
here a pic

see pic below

Attachments:
manifold drawing.JPG
manifold drawing.JPG [ 24.55 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Xflow wrote:
Ok i ended up buying it all in stainless steel
i got 1.5 inch 304 stainless piping and getting the bends on tuesday morning. The worst part would have to be is buying that darn flat plate for the manifold LOL

anyone know a company that sells the I6 ea-au manifold flange in stainless? or ill just buy the flat plate dosn't really matter but would be easyer is it was already cut but hay if no one sells it ill just make it :D

You want gasses to expand in turbine housing.. Stop thinking about exhaust flow in N/A applications... What sort of power goals are you after or are you after bling bling look ?? Going bigger than 1 1/4 power wise you would require other mods like trans etc to take over 900 nm torque etc.. Are you prepared to go that far?? People tend to over engineer some parts on these mods... Next thing they are selling their project as it was too expensive... Keep things ballanced !!! If you are not going to upgrade whole fuel system, trans, brakes etc then keep things somewhat conservative... There's some very fast cars out there with modest components but time spent on getting traction to ground. Especially 1/4 mile guys... Where transbrakes etc helps 60" time heaps, as an example....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next