Fordmods Logo

MSD Universal Boost Timing Master 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: MSD Universal Boost Timing Master
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

i have been serching through the forum and reading up on these MSD boost timing retarder units. i was hoping someone can help me with a little more information. i read that these are a spark amplifier and a ignition retarer all in one. i will be using this on a LPG powered/boosted 250 xflow. i have read that these have been used with the carby type/EST dizzys. now these dizzys increase advance with rpm. the MSD system can retard between 1 and 3 degrees of advance per psi added. now even if it pulled out all the timing, as the engine speed increased the timing would still increase. how would this go? or do i have it wrong?

also is there anything else needed with the kit or is it ready to go as i have gathered?

any experiences or recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

also will a bosch coil be adequate for such a system or am i better off using a bigger coil? part numbers?

Cheers in advance guys

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

i have been doing some more reading and found that there are two part numbers, the 5462 which im looking at and the 6462 which is the newer one, similar write up but big cost difference, is anyone familiar with the differences.

dosnt seem like too many people here have experiance with the MSD BTM gear, anyone know of someone or a place that i can speak to about it in melb? im also looking at these blaster coil now

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

There is a guy on calaisturbo.com with a 4wd maverick and he has turbocharged it on gas with an MSD boost retard module. Might be worth trying to get onto him.

He has a thread in the other rides section. Cant remember his user ID on there tho.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

ok, wouldnt your best option be to but just a normal cdi system, and run it with an ign computer?? i beleive an ign only ecu is cheap, and then you can have proper timing control... much, much better option

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

yeah thats true, but this system is a spark amplifier which will be a useful feature and it allows you to set the point in which the ignition starts to pull timing and then gives you variable control on how much is taken out for every psi added (handy on hot days etc to be able to adjeust on the run) what else would i need?

does anyone know if spack-pilot is still roaming around any forums as i found some threads where he claimed to use one on his 250

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

If you do end up getting one let us know how you go.

I want to use one on my maverick when I turbo it. I dont want to spend the cash on an ECU for a budget back yard turbo install.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

TUF250 wrote:
yeah thats true, but this system is a spark amplifier which will be a useful feature and it allows you to set the point in which the ignition starts to pull timing and then gives you variable control on how much is taken out for every psi added

i did say to still use a cdi system, which covers the spark amplifier bit..

to me this unit sounds like a lot more crude way of doing it

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]