Fordmods Logo

My ED Fairmont Turbo Project 

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: My ED Fairmont Turbo Project
Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:22 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon S Pak

QLD, Australia

Here is my turbo project, i just bought a snort performance satge 3 kit.
My fast bits are:

Snort performance stage 3 kit including Garret T4 High Flowed
Ford Ed 4.0 ACL Race Series Rebuild Kit
Wolf V400 Plus - Kit with Hand Controller
Siemens 870cc/min Fuel Injectors
Walbro 550HP 255LPH
Exedy Tuff clutch 5 Puck
3" Exhaust System
Race Valve Springs
Xr6 5-Speed Gearbox
Xr6 Diff 3.45 ratio

I'll keep you all posted with updates, i start on weekend.

Attachments:
Front Mount Intercooler 1 small.JPG
Front Mount Intercooler 1 small.JPG [ 88.14 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]
Turbo On Manifold small.JPG
Turbo On Manifold small.JPG [ 122.8 KiB | Viewed 309 times ]
1365025.jpg
1365025.jpg [ 54.43 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0001.JPG [ 123.85 KiB | Viewed 218 times ]

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

AAWWW!! nice! im soooo close 2 getting my gear on my car 2 cant wait, will be good 2 see how this turns out! good luck

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

ha ha love the last pic... wat a better way to hold ya block than puttin it on a keg ha ha

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

i seriously, for the life of me, cannot work out how snort can control boost pressure with such a non optimal wastegate outlet...!! its not even at right angles to the gas flow, its about 120deg to the flow... if they had a decent flowing merge collector and if that was fitted to a decent flowing combination, with a decent turbo, they would have absolutely no hope in hell of that wastegate outlet working... trust me, i did multiple wastegate setups with mine, ONLY way to control boost on a DECENT FLOWING (good cam, head, inlet) is to have the wastegate outlet off the turbine housing

i mean, look at the angle they have the dump pipe coming out the turbine, what the?? no way is that good for flow

my 2c

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:
trust me
Bit hard considering it does actually work. Trust me, I have the stage 4 kit and it works fine. Holds 10psi no problem without a hint of boost creep.

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

ebs_4l wrote:
i mean, look at the angle they have the dump pipe coming out the turbine, what the?? no way is that good for flow

my 2c

i've seen many a SR20 with the same angle on the dump pipe making extremely good power.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

seton005 wrote:
ebs_4l wrote:
trust me
Bit hard considering it does actually work. Trust me, I have the stage 4 kit and it works fine. Holds 10psi no problem without a hint of boost creep.

and do you meet the criteria of a good flowing cam/head/inlet combination, or do you have std head, cam and inlet manifold?? either you have a badly flowing setup, or the kkk turbo has an enormous turbine housing

oh, tickford_6, that dump pipe may work, BUT, i bet my balls if you were installing a turbo system on your car that you wouldnt have a dump pipe like that ay??

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Hey ebman40 you win??? how did u go setting it up?

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Obviously its the massive flow through your set up that gave you the boost issues ebs_4lt. Your set up is a completely different league to this entry level gear.
Compare to your set up, the sort set is poor flowing, but its still good for big power and its all that most guys here want.
No point baggin it out as its a proven set up that works well, just not up the high level of yours...

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey can ne1 tell me the pros n cons between ebs_4l 's setup n the snort ones??? Also how much difference would log vs tuned manifolds make??? Im tossing up whether to buy a tuned manifold as mine is taking forever to put together (no time......) Also :P standard intake vs plenum??? If it helps i want around the same power ebs_4l is making :)

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

the only thing i got from them that wasnt rooted was the turbo itself

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

G'day

I'd be interested in seeing how this all goes together.

I'm still tossing up the idea of getting one of these kits.

Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:50 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon S Pak

QLD, Australia

Hey all i just finished wiring up the wolf 3d ecu and got my block back, i haved bored it out 40thou and decked it. I'm using acl race series pistons but the prob is they bring my compression up to 9.6:1 so i was thinking do i shave a few thou of the pistons or take some metal out of the chamber on the head?

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

why go +.040" bore? not a good thing to do if you dont have to..

your in the same boat i was with them pistons, except i wasnt building it for boost at the time, i rebuilt it high comp 10.4:1 N/A then wanted to make it low comp turbo.... you fairly screwed if you want anything under 9.0:1 comp, can only take 2cc max out the chambers, and worse if its been shaved a fair bit... i used a decomp plate, although i wouldnt reccomned it, it has worked, and i only did it cos i didnt want to build my motor again... (IT HAS HELD TO WELL OVER 500HP AT THE FLYWHEEL, 440RWHP)

you should have got 3.9l race pistons, they have about a 6cc larger dish in them, get them in +.020" and just need to bore the 4l about .005" or so from memory...

Post subject: 'way too much freakin boost' cam too big?
Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairmont Turbo

QLD, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:
i seriously, for the life of me, cannot work out how snort can control boost pressure with such a non optimal wastegate outlet...!! its not even at right angles to the gas flow, its about 120deg to the flow... if they had a decent flowing merge collector and if that was fitted to a decent flowing combination, with a decent turbo, they would have absolutely no hope in hell of that wastegate outlet working... trust me, i did multiple wastegate setups with mine, ONLY way to control boost on a DECENT FLOWING (good cam, head, inlet) is to have the wastegate outlet off the turbine housing

my 2c

Hmm, just your 2c worth. Budy, obviously you chose a cam which has far too much overlap resulting in much of the boost being blown straight through the eingine and out the exhaust resulting in a loss of power potential and over boosting. As i said in your (too much freakin boost) thread, you've made the incorrect choice when it came to selecting the cam for your 'superman flow' (better than anyone else has ever done) engine combination. If you had the correct cam you'd be making around 360rwkw @14psi instead of the figure you've extracted.

I have a dyno graph which is the initial tune done on the same engine type as yours, using a snortperformance stage 3 system, KKK 600R T3 turbo with a .84 rear housing and '50mm gate'. The engine and tune was done by JMM. As you can see it's only running 9psi on this graph but still made 294rwkw out of the box shortly before the drivetrain became an issue. The boost has since been wound up to 14psi where it's now churning out 360 at the treads. And, you know what, it was all done without destroying the turbo unlike you have on your system. But hey, if your customers don't mind you taking to their new $2,000 turbo with a gas axe, 'just so you can control boost pressure', so be it.

Think about this though, how does a BA control boost and make 400rwkw with the original 35/40 roller bearing turbo, using its standard tiny internal gate with all of Nizpro's best bolt on goodies? Are you saying that your single cam I6 out flows the BA 4 vavle VCT engine with $10K worth of Nizpro bolted to it? Budy i don't think so. I'm expecting your answer to be something to do with your manifold design being superior to everyone elses, even though it's a direct copy of a snortperformance/JMM manifold just with extra butchering.

When i first saw your manifold/turbo setup i thought it looked pretty good but that was before you rooted it. Look forward to reading your next colourful coments and severe ways of fitting wastgates onto turbine housings, in the future budy, don't go slagging off other people's work as it can often backfire on you.

Attachments:
File comment: JMM tuned, built I6 with snortperformance stage 3 turbo system, old style, with T3 plain bearing 600KKKr turbo .84 rear housing and 50mm external gate. Head work, cam etc. First tune before axle let go.
CADCCJTH.jpg
CADCCJTH.jpg [ 27.21 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next