Fordmods Logo

My twin cam turbo project EA 

Page 19 of 21 [ 307 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

this is where a nice ecu with complete variable cam control comes into play. with our lamborghini at work, the guys who supplied the ecu were never quite sure how to make it work, so to be sure that we knew exactly where the cam timing was, we locked the cam gears and then positioned the cams where we wanted them.. on the lambo engine the cam gears do not have any dowels onto the cams, so you can position the cam gear in any place you want on the cam.. they rely on the bolt clamping the gear hard enough that it cant move.

however this setup made some slight improvements in a bit of midrange power, it suffered badly with starting and low speed driveability... since then, some developments in programming were made, and we have now had the VCT looms wired in, and will now have completely variable cam timing... im interested to play with tuning this on the dyno next time

the ecu we use is an EFI technology EURO12, this was the ferrari F1 ecu used in about 2004 so it is a very powerful unit, however, we did need to loose a couple of other functions to allow enough inputs/outputs to work the vct... the lambo has 4 cam phasers that we need to control. we lost traction control and something else..

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Why was there a need to fit an aftermarket ECU to a lamborghini? Track car?

How are the cam sensors setup? Is there 4 teeth on the cams like the BA's?

The car is at home now. The interior is half done and Ive reclaimed some garage space. Im going to finish the interior off this weekend and make a start on fitting new wiring looms for the dash and engine bay as well. It still has low voltage and I really should have fixed it before putting the BA motor in. Its been an issue since I bought the car and no amount of earths seem to fix it.

After that new suspension will go in and Ill make up some piping so the turbo conversion is a bolt in job once the car is running properly.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

what did the BA motor on the XTC ems end up producing in n/a form ?

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Not dyno tuned for power yet. I need to fix the electrics first. Its doing kooky things that can only be explained by weak electricals. ie. It will run perfect for 30-40 minutes when driving then just die for no reason or it will run fine then go rich or lean and cut out with no irregularites to be seen other than the voltage spiking and dropping. It doesnt stay constant and varies from 11-14v.

The cigarette lighter doesnt provide enough current to run a laptop and my wideband setup so we had to wire the wideband straight to the battery.

I should have fixed it before taking it to Nick but I didnt think it was that bad.

All of the interior is swapped now. Only the roof lining to go.

The looms should be done and the voltage problems fixed by the end of the weekend hopefully.

The car looks 100 times better with the new interior in. Its starting to feel like a regular car again and not like a molested POS.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA XR6 Ute

QLD, Australia

any updated pics?

nascentes morimur

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Not really.

This is the only one Ive taken since it has been home.

It still doesnt look like much but that is how I want it to stay. It shouldnt attract any attention looking how it is and that is the look I was after.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Old wiring and dash is out.

New stuff going in tomorrow. Hopefully it fixes the low voltage issues.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:52 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

VIC, Australia

awesome thread mate, wondering how did you get around the height on the ba engine, and clearance with the bonnet? most other ppl had to cut into the bonnet, did u change engine mounts? or just lucky

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The engine hits the bonnet but its not a really big dilemma.

Ill do something about it eventually. Its already put a small dent in the bonnet but its hardly noticeable unless pointed out. I reckon solid mounting the passenger side engine mount will stop it hitting.

I spent most nights of this week putting new looms in and rewiring the power wiring for the fuel pump and ECU and Ive finally got normal voltage.

The old looms must have been damaged with the engine bay fire it had before I bought it.

Once I neaten stuff up under the bonnet I can put the dash back in and move the battery back to the boot.

Once that is done we can get to work on sorting out these cams and throwing the turbo on. :D

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:36 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

VIC, Australia

damn mate ur really gettin into it, if u dont mind me asking what did the ecu install set u back?

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

$400

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Dash is back in, tacho has been wired up, new head unit and front speakers are in, electric windows are working again.

All of the EA plastics have been removed ready for the EB2 ones to go back in. Same with the roof lining.

During the week Ill move the battery back to the boot and upgrade the earths then its ready to go back to workshop to have the cams sorted out and the tune finalised.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

Won't be at the Boosted Australia day cruise would it eh?

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Im going 4 wheel driving that weekend so I wont be there let alone the car.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

ahhh ok fair enough then

Sort by  
 Page 19 of 21  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next