Fordmods Logo

New turbo's, fuel pumps and tune... 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

They come on about 2500 BUT they start making some boost a lot lower... The .63 A.R is times two though...They are 61mm virtually the same as 35/40 XR6T...The turbine trim is very high, so they flow very well...
The old turbo's came on earlier, but came on in one hell rush! These do too but have some power / boost before full spool... Its sort of a time thing also. Given enough time at 80 kms in top if you opened throttle at that low rpm, it would still pull away...Even on hills...
The low compression makes it somewhat doughy down low....But this way its the turbo's making the power..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BF XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
kraddy wrote:
EBXR8380 wrote:
XR6T citric wrote:
very high power, taken her for a spin in the wet?

Thats ridiculous power, impossible to get it to the ground?

My EBC [electronic boost controler ] is set on low setting as daily driver..

480 kw daily.... F**k!

12Lb is 440 rwkw...

Still a s**t of power for a streeter!!!! :wink:

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

nice, i bet it would be lots of fun.

hows the tko holding up?

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

fritzz wrote:
nice, i bet it would be lots of fun.

hows the tko holding up?

Good !!!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: vs cluby,elxr6t

VIC, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
In boot beside jack...It boiled there as there's no pressure...
While fuel is in between pumps and reg there's pressure so I guess it won't boil.. The return line from reg returns to surge tank...
I'll just have to allow more clearance around left dump pipe and make shield... More air will also help along with maybe lifting rear of bonnet to let some hot air out...

im no expert but have you considered running the return line from the fuel reg to the cars tank, thus removing alot of hot fuel being returned from the motor to the surge tank. otherwise wouldnt fuel being returned to the surge tank from the motor be continously heating it up?

wish i had bigger wheels.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Graham, in terms of boost control are you running the inbuilt boost controll function in your Haltech? Or are you using a separate EBC?

Also is the boost controll function built into the Haltech any good? Thier advertising states its fully mappable with a different map page for each gear but the vid on their website mentions something about stages boost. If I ever do own a turbo car I want fully mappable boost control with a different range for each gear as well as indiviidual rpm points. Basically a 3D boost map. Is that too hard to do?

Last edited by xcabbi on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yes that has been considered.. But is it a bandade to fixing the cause?
The in tank pump is still circulating fresh fuel around too.. Believe me the amount of fuel needed to supply up to or more than 60 Lb and still have enough flow is bloody heaps... Making it return back to tank may mean the in line pumps are not big enough ??.. I need to double insulate the left dump pipe and fuel line its self.. Then maybe a cooler from transmission on return line... Then open up or ventilate the under bonnet some how? Like removing some sealing rubber at the rear of bonnet top of firewall...
The return line is alloy so you'd think it would dissipate enough heat ??

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yes the EBC is E11 controlled... Infact if you wanted to go crazzy it could also be worked in with TPS so boost doesn't [ as example] go over 12 Lb till atleast 1/2 throttle.. This way its like traction control... Like the E boost controler it needs a signal to know what gear its in... It can be done in first as its the next up from clutch operation if clutch signal is connected...
But it doesn't really hit full boost till third gear if driving in race mode...There simply isn't enough load.. Infact at the drags with radial slicks its the higher gears that raction is an issue...Though I'v managed 127 mph..My reaction times are 2.4. If I hit it harder the tyres go up in smoke... This is where an auto is king as boost can be bought up on converter... Just free reving it doesn't happen...
I could run anti lag with cats removed ?? But I'm not really that interested .. A simple two step would work just fine though?? Just more ecu programing....
I notice as soon as wastegates open the power level doesn't increase too much .. Just holds it through rev range...I ported the std gates as I think most are bad designed with sharp 90* bends ...The dump pipe have a divider for wastegate flow so the exhaust side scavenges the w/gate exhaust flow...

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

What I was thinking was more along the lines of a transbraked auto car. Just hold the accelerator flat, let go of the button and slap the rachet shifter whilst letting the EBC do the rest.
If a VL can run quicker than an 8.80 on a 10" tire then I'm sure as s**t that a falcon could be in with a chance instead of pulling a high 9 before the tires go up in smoke.
Sure it would take quite a few runs to get the boost curves dialed in right so the car is on the traction limit the whole way and if my bank balance was a bit bigger (read, a lot bigger) then I'd be more than willing to give it a shot.

A lot of EBC's are marketed as mappable but a quick flick through the instruction manual reveals they are staged. Instruction manuals don't lie. Even the eboost2 is nothing more than a 6 stage boost controller with a few fancy timers and warning lights thrown in for good measure. And the Blitz and Greddy units are an even bigger joke since they cost over 1200 bucks and are still not mappable but they do feature in built AFR metering.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yea my cars manual much harder...Radial 235 / 15 drag slicks are not as good as proper Crossply slicks..

The clutch takes some punishment at these power levels....
My car was the mule l for Haltech latest upgrade...

The 1UZ Celica I'm building is manualised Powerglide with transbrake etc... That will hook up.. I'm making the tubs, four link for it now...
This one from summit...
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Post subject: Re: New turbo's, fuel pumps and tune...
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
While being tuned I think I have found why at times fuel can be smelt behind car.. Even though AFR's are quite lean for boosted engine..
Also why at low speed I seemed to go through alittle more fuel than at higher open road speeds...
The fuel has been boiling in my 5 ltr surge tank!!

sensational power figures graham, nice work...

although, i have a question i have to ask.. how did you match the fuel useage and smell concerns to the boiling fuel?? how do you tie those two together??

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: vs cluby,elxr6t

VIC, Australia

just spoke to a mate running a charged 5.0l and he said you shouldnt run your return to your surge tank as it will also cause your fuel to heat up. returning it to the tank allows it to mix in with the cool fuel which will lower your fuel temp in the surge tank. but any one can tell you to keep your fuel lines and surge tanks away from the exhaust.

wish i had bigger wheels.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
What I was thinking was more along the lines of a transbraked auto car. Just hold the accelerator flat, let go of the button and slap the rachet shifter whilst letting the EBC do the rest.

not to distract from this thread, but just wanted to say, that autronic can do this, without fancy gear position switches/clutch switch.. it simply needs a speed signal and an rpm signal.. if you have those two, then working out the relation between rpm and speed will give a gear position.. if speed and rpm signal ratio changes, then so must the gear position, although, with a vlt with a 5k stally, the programming to make that work 100% must take some messing around... may be more suited to a manual. autronic has a huge amount of boost control variables, probably making it about 10D mappable

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ISQUIK wrote:
just spoke to a mate running a charged 5.0l and he said you shouldnt run your return to your surge tank as it will also cause your fuel to heat up. returning it to the tank allows it to mix in with the cool fuel which will lower your fuel temp in the surge tank. but any one can tell you to keep your fuel lines and surge tanks away from the exhaust.

Its best to prevent this issue in the first place.. Fuel has a low boiling point!! I will find a way of fixing it ..
Surge tank is away from any heat.. Its just the two braided lines going up to rear of fuel rails... Some shielding and ventalation will fix this...
If I put return back to tank I'll need to increase in tank pump.. Which is a Walbro 255... Besides 255 litres per hour is going to MIX everything up fairly quick...
As far as fuel useage...
When I went to FPV day in Vic earlier this year we cruised down there doing 80 to 110 kph 80 in Vic!!...
I went through 3 tanks getting there.. On the trip home I left them behind and cruised around 110 and alittle more, The fuel guage hardly moved...Went through about a tank and 1/2.... I took it to be checked AFR wise and all was fine.. except the 02 sensors where operating from 2500 so Matt changed them to lower rpm setting...
At 100 kph it pulls 1800 rpm in top...
Its leaner now and needs less throttle to do what is required..Since new turbo's etc...
The return line exits out the front, through inner left guard so its away from heat sauce... Its no big deal its just these things get hot making this sort of power... The surge tank is atleast 5 ltrs so size there is not the issue...
Yes slow driving I guess perculates the fuel?? In some cases they pressurize the whole fuel system...

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2