Fordmods Logo

Next stage of my turbo el build 

Page 2 of 6 [ 90 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:22 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: A massive sideways utensil.

NSW, Australia

Gee..., the to4z and ur 3.5'' cat didnt last long? How many k's you get before they died?

XR6 conversion, CAI, 3inch intake, modified intake plenum, polished TB, 2.5inch exhaust, modified cat, pwr radiator and expansion tank, BTR, kevlar bands, JMM 3K converter, shiftkit, 3.91, 31spline spool, 31spline billet axel$, Nolathane, RDA golds, Custom interior, genuine GT's

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

the cat probably lasted 30,000kms and the turbo was around 10,000kms. i think the blocked cat mite have had something to do with over heating the turbo, but i could also have a coolant flow issues

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

new turbo...

CNC cut billet compressor wheel

seems pretty well built, very compact size for what it is. it also extremely light

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Looks like a decent turbo, how much$? What size rear housing is that??, Looks a little small for a 900hp turbo, hahaha, but im only new to these things, so i wouldent know..... Compressor wheel looks like a work of art!! Pity bout the to4z, should have lasted longer then 10,000km, where were you running your coolent lines from?, must of being getting poor flow? Is it beyond repair or can you still rebuild it? Sorry about the 20 questions...

XR6 conversion, CAI, 3inch intake, modified intake plenum, polished TB, 2.5inch exhaust, modified cat, pwr radiator and expansion tank, BTR, kevlar bands, JMM 3K converter, shiftkit, 3.91, 31spline spool, 31spline billet axel$, Nolathane, RDA golds, Custom interior, genuine GT's

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

wholohan123 wrote:
Looks like a decent turbo, how much$? What size rear housing is that??, Looks a little small for a 900hp turbo, hahaha, but im only new to these things, so i wouldent know..... Compressor wheel looks like a work of art!! Pity bout the to4z, should have lasted longer then 10,000km, where were you running your coolent lines from?, must of being getting poor flow? Is it beyond repair or can you still rebuild it? Sorry about the 20 questions...

normal retail price is around 3k, but i get trade so it was a fer bit cheaper.

its a 1.00 split rear housing.

1 coolant line runs from suction side of water pump and the other line comes from the bottom of thermostat housing, same as ba-fg xr6 and f6 run theres.

the to4z was going to cost the same to fix as it was to buy a new 1, then i thourght if im going to buy a new 1, then ill go bigger

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:36 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Awsome! Thanks for replying fritzz. I dont think you had poor coolent flow to the turbo... You've set the lines up the way your spose to, (to the best of my knowlage anyway). Unless the hose ID was to small, and ur restricting the flow? Must of being the blocked cat,... that would kill a nice turbo pretty quick :(.. I cant believe your confident the the stock bottom end will withstand close to 500rwkw? (Wow 670rwhp!!) Hahaha, How dont the standard rods bend?? The BA xr6t rods bend at just 300kw?? Hahaha and i was led to believe the stock BA rods were stronger?? Also frittz ive gotta ask,... Why did you ditch the turbo grind cam for a JMM dev5? These cams have valve overlap as far as i know?, and there desinged for N/A applications. Hahaha so arnt you just blowing boost out the exhaust valve and loosing power?? Sorry if i sound a little thick, but im keen to understand everything i can, as im trying to inform myself as best as possible before i start my turbo conversion, doing the work myself :D... Oh what fun!

Post subject: xr
Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Awsome selection in parts and in sure you will be happy with ur new billet turbo.

From what i know there the S%$T when it comes to turbo's here in OZ, dont know how they compare to turbonetics.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Bent rods are typically the result of a misfire, preignition, or pinging.
All due to poor tunes.

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

wholohan123 wrote:
Awsome! Thanks for replying fritzz. I dont think you had poor coolent flow to the turbo... You've set the lines up the way your spose to, (to the best of my knowlage anyway). Unless the hose ID was to small, and ur restricting the flow? Must of being the blocked cat,... that would kill a nice turbo pretty quick :(.. I cant believe your confident the the stock bottom end will withstand close to 500rwkw? (Wow 670rwhp!!) Hahaha, How dont the standard rods bend?? The BA xr6t rods bend at just 300kw?? Hahaha and i was led to believe the stock BA rods were stronger?? Also frittz ive gotta ask,... Why did you ditch the turbo grind cam for a JMM dev5? These cams have valve overlap as far as i know?, and there desinged for N/A applications. Hahaha so arnt you just blowing boost out the exhaust valve and loosing power?? Sorry if i sound a little thick, but im keen to understand everything i can, as im trying to inform myself as best as possible before i start my turbo conversion, doing the work myself :D... Oh what fun!

the hose id is 3/8 which is the normal size.

na the stock rods in the e-series motors are allot stronger than the rods in the ba's, ive never herd of an issue with eseries rods yet.

the turbo grind i had earlier was just to small and didn't make enough top end power for my liking, plus it kept to much pressure in the cylinder and it wouldn't allow me to run over 15psi boost, that's what happens when running near stock comp ratio.

so with the slightly bigger cam it allowed me to run more boost/ignition timing and also had more top end, it made much more power.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Power: 192 rwkw

SA, Australia

wholohan123 wrote:
Also frittz ive gotta ask,... Why did you ditch the turbo grind cam for a JMM dev5? These cams have valve overlap as far as i know?, and there desinged for N/A applications. Hahaha so arnt you just blowing boost out the exhaust valve !

there is no way this ever happens, unless sumone has come up with a turbo-manifold combination that is 101% efficient or better it is an urban myth, there will always be more pressure in the exhaust manifold than the inlet manifold, if anything the reverse will be true and pressure from the exhaust will force spent gasses back into the chamber on the overlap portion of the valve cycle,

it would certainly be possible with a supercharged settup however assuming there was insuficient restriction in the exhaust system to equal the boost level during overlap, hence dual profile supercharger cams with earlier closing on the exhaust lobe

boost out the exhaust in a turbo motor=havin a pull

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA F6,XF Turbo

VIC, Australia

keep up the good work

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

well i got the el back on the dyno today.

since last dyno i have fitted new bigger turbo, fitted new spark plugs, new leads, removed cat, fitted hooker aero chamber muffler and also some slight changes to cam timing and a good tune, the result is 627.4rwhp/468rwkw on 18psi.

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

that is an awesome result! congrats

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Holy s**t, thats great work.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:22 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia