Fordmods Logo

noisy turbo on bf typhoon 

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

it should sound like a low pitch whining fan sound, not grinding. grinding sounds means bearing is ready to go. how long? no one knows.

its always good to keep oil flowing through the bearings at idle for extra protection, just enough time to cool things down plus leaving a film of oil on the metal parts.

Turbo that gets it oil cut after a hard run is likely not to last long, as we all know glowing hot metal repels oils, so on next start up its bone dry for a couple of seconds until oil pressure picks up, slowly wearing it.
This is probably the reason why we hear alot of problems with BA-BF Turbo units?

If extending the life of the turbo an extra 20000K's or even 80000K's of its life, why not.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Slick wrote:
it should sound like a low pitch whining fan sound, not grinding. grinding sounds means bearing is ready to go. how long? no one knows.

its always good to keep oil flowing through the bearings at idle for extra protection, just enough time to cool things down plus leaving a film of oil on the metal parts.

Turbo that gets it oil cut after a hard run is likely not to last long, as we all know glowing hot metal repels oils, so on next start up its bone dry for a couple of seconds until oil pressure picks up, slowly wearing it.
This is probably the reason why we hear alot of problems with BA-BF Turbo units?

If extending the life of the turbo an extra 20000K's or even 80000K's of its life, why not.

Exactly my thoughts and yes I might be an old f@rt :twisted: but I still work on LATE model turbo vehicles and havent had any turbo problems caused by being a little cautious about turbo shut down times, I'm not even p####d off about kids being rude to other members as it is one of the things about forums that always crop up :roll: :P :P

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

So how does letting the car idle before turning it off stop a ball bearing turbo from spinning when there is no oil pressure?

This is what you tried to say before didnt you?

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 1995

QLD, Australia

Intresting Thred, not to sure about the manners involed with some of the replies, I would of hoped that people could be more mature in their responses.

There is obviously a comunication problem on 2 differant lines of thought. I don't know lots about turbos, but I do notice on my BF that if I idle a bit before I turn off the engine the turbo dosn't seem to over run as long as it dose if I just pull up and turn it off.

Daily Driver BF XR6 Turbo

In progress 1995 EF

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

wome wrote:
Intresting Thred, not to sure about the manners involed with some of the replies, I would of hoped that people could be more mature in their responses.

There is obviously a comunication problem on 2 differant lines of thought. I don't know lots about turbos, but I do notice on my BF that if I idle a bit before I turn off the engine the turbo dosn't seem to over run as long as it dose if I just pull up and turn it off.

This is what I was trying to explain as I have been into turbo vehicles for much longer than half :shock: :lol: :roll: :twisted: the members have been alive so please a little respect

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

But you said that using a turbo timer will allow the turbo to slow down with oil pressure.

This isnt the case. The turbo will continue to spin with the engine off regardless of how long the car idles.

Just because you are old doesn't make you right.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

^No s**t, of course they'll spin. thats what its suppose to do.

metal cools down to a curtain degree, enough for oil to adhere to the bearings. but when its piping red hot & suddenly shut down, oil just gets pushed away, leaving it dry. just because you can't see the glowing red hot on the out side of the housing but just imagine the impellers, shaft & bearings.

Like I said before, cool down is the key to trouble free turbo reliability.

just because you drive a turbo doesn't make you an expert. otherwise you won't be posting here & complaining BA/BF XR6Turbos are making weird sounds.

OIL is a heat dissipater, 15, 20 or 30 sec of idle is enough to cool it down & for the bearings stay lubed for the next start up. maintenance free is all I'm worry about.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

Can you even fit a timer to a BF though?

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
But you said that using a turbo timer will allow the turbo to slow down with oil pressure.

This isnt the case. The turbo will continue to spin with the engine off regardless of how long the car idles.

No I'm afraid your misquoting :? I didn't say that the turbo will slow down with oil pressure I said it will COOL down as it slows down and the heat will not be as bad on the bearings and just because I'm old :twisted: I don't take offence about not being right always and I am ALWAYS willing to learn about something new to do with modded engines and electronics as well as listening to knolegeable people :D :D

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

GTBob wrote:
Needs a turbo timer so the turbo slows down while still having oil pressure :roll: :roll: :D

im afraid you did say those words....

ANYHOW, im over it...

what i dont understand IS, howcome people are talking bout hot metal parts, cool down idling, turbo timers, maintenance, turbo life?????

what relevance do those items have, in relation to the ORIGINAL topic of this thread, yes, they are all good turbo life saving items, but to answer why does my turbo make noise when i turn off the engine?????

the answer was simple, and it was delivered in the 2nd post of this thread... like it or not, hot turbo or not, cooled down or idled for 3 and a half weeks, the answer is the same, you have no oil pressure with no engine running

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

GTBob wrote:
Dansedgli wrote:

No I'm afraid your misquoting :? I didn't say that the turbo will slow down with oil pressure I said it will COOL down as it slows down and the heat will not be as bad on the bearings

Umm misquoting?

GTBob wrote:
Needs a turbo timer so the turbo slows down while still having oil pressure :roll: :roll: :D

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
GTBob wrote:
Dansedgli wrote:

No I'm afraid your misquoting :? I didn't say that the turbo will slow down with oil pressure I said it will COOL down as it slows down and the heat will not be as bad on the bearings

Umm misquoting?

GTBob wrote:

I think what the wise old man means that even though the car is idling the turbo is still slowing down to a certain degree. Think about it. A hard shut off results in the turbo still free spining anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes. Now how long do you have to let the car idle for the turbo to slow down to its natural idle speed. So I thibk what he means is that a turbo timer would help the turbo reach its natural idle by letting the engine idle long enough. Also during this time the oil cools down sufficiently which also helps. Is this where you are coming from Bob? Can you sort of agree with this slick or are you going to be stubborn like your mate chopadoo and flame me again? This argument is useless without data but how many of you have a turbo speed sensor to prove or disprove this theory?

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

hey xcabbi, you bring up a very good point..

how many of us forum member have a turbo speed sensor, and how many of us have ever seen datalogs from turbo speed sensors???

i have, the one i have seen was fitted to a gt30 on a 2jz, thats where i got my idle rpm figure of 6000rpm from... i could easily fit one to my setup, i actually would like to, but hey, the money im using doesnt grow on trees

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Looks like I've lost my temper there for a minute, I was only defending GTBob, so disregard any harsh comments I've made above. you younger guys should pay more respect to guys like GTBob. His old enough to be someones granddad or dad. been around cars long enough to know them inside out. If his got advice to give then listen up.

I did not see any replies from him to provoke such sarcasm... the gentleman didn't deserve all those comments.

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Guys can the crap, i fyou think somebodys wrong dont get personal or insulting state that you dis agree and leave it at that

Any more crap like this and you will have warnings added to your names

Nicko

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next