Fordmods Logo

noisy turbo on bf typhoon 

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:
GTBob wrote:
Needs a turbo timer so the turbo slows down while still having oil pressure :roll: :roll: :D

lol, gee, thats a brilliant idea.... how long did you think about that???

problem goes like this: engine running, turbo spinning, oil pressure present... stop engine, turbo still spinning, no oil pressure....

how can a turbo timer stop that??

like i said, your turbo will be still spinning in the vacinity of 6000rpm...
when your car is running the turbo is cooled by the oil pumped through the bearing but when you turn off the car this system stops. the main aim of a timer is to keep the car running when the turbo is hot and give time for the turbo to cool off, as this causes the centre bearing to over heat (due to no oil flow) and eventually either seize or wear out very quickly. has nothing at all to do with turbo rpm after switch off, has to do with heat expantion rates.
sounds like the bearing is on the way out shouldnt be grinding.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

if u turn it str8 off when u pull up......8 time out of 10 u probly would have been thrashing it all the way home....with a the apexi stick turbo time it reads your o2 mixture....so it how how muh u been beating up on it...which then the timer it self know how long to run ur engine for...

if and when u just stop and turn it off there's hot sticky oil running throw the lines..which could leave deposite's and slowly block up ur line's ..which could possibly leed to a ceased shaft..

with a timer it let's the car idle at the same rpm which let's the car cool down, oil pressure should drop, oil pressure line's should flow freely..

hope this explains something........i'll be looking forward to getting quoted as some people will have a different opinion....but this is my opinion and i reserve the right to have it 8-) 8-) 8-)

why go fast in a str8 line .......when ya can slide fast !!!!!!!!

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I'm not going to rip into you but I'd like to know more info about how hot sticky oil deposits can block your oil feed and drain lines for the turbo.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

thats a good reason to change your oil atleast every 10,000km

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I change mine at 5000k's intervals when I can. closing to 190K's but If I do decide to pull it down the internals well still be shinny like new. the cylinder walls won't even have any signs of combustion blow-by deposits.

As for turbo engines, regular shorter oil change intervals is a must if you want to extended well beyond its life span. never could go wrong with some sort of insurence.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
I think what the wise old man means that even though the car is idling the turbo is still slowing down to a certain degree. Think about it. A hard shut off results in the turbo still free spining anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes. Now how long do you have to let the car idle for the turbo to slow down to its natural idle speed. So I thibk what he means is that a turbo timer would help the turbo reach its natural idle by letting the engine idle long enough. Also during this time the oil cools down sufficiently which also helps. Is this where you are coming from Bob? Can you sort of agree with this slick or are you going to be stubborn like your mate chopadoo and flame me again? This argument is useless without data but how many of you have a turbo speed sensor to prove or disprove this theory?

You put it the way I was thinking I'm afraid this old brain has too many projects on the go at the moment (like restoration of the HO and changing the EF GLI into a fairmont Ghia {almost done !} and getting ready to rebuild a 1936 ford coupe :roll: :roll: :shock: :D :D :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XR6T

Power: 328 rwkw

VIC, Australia

its just the turbo pumoing oil and coolant through to cool the turbo down. the B series dont need a turbo timer we arent driving 80's designed heaps of s**t anymore....

04' MkII Winter White XR6T Ute, t56, Leather, Hardtop, Lowered, 19' Konigs with 328.4rwkw

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:47 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

garrett did a lot of testing on these cars. one test was they blocked off the oil feed to the turbo, then ran it to see how long it would go. it went for something like 35 minutes before it s**t itself ! the new ball bearing gear doesn't seem to need a heap of oil to survive.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

dont forget they do have coolant running through them as well which cools the turbo slightly.

And about the oil lines getting clogged ive seen it happen an they had to replace a turbo on an XR6 for that reason. ford dont like to pay for them either.

and yes you can fit turbo timers to ba and bf, ive also seen these :)

Post subject: Turbo noise
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA Turbo

QLD, Australia

I have experienced same noice on shut down with my BA T.

I can tell you what I have found is that the fine stainless mesh filler in the fitting where the pipe comes from the block is very fine and on my car after 80 000k's it was blocked about 75%.

I cleaned it with kero and WD40 and found it to look clean again, but with further inspection by shinning a led bulb through it I could see it was still blocked about same as the light would only shine through about 25% of it.

I than used compressed air but only got it to about 75% clean and no matter how much more I tried it would not clear anymore.

I fitted new O rings to this filter and when inserting it it fowled on a steped edge inside and damaged the filter (Very easy to break as it is very tiny)

Ford didn't have one in stock and wanted $64 for one. The parts salesman said he had never sold one to which I said thats why you havn't.

In the end I decided not to refit the filter screen as if it clogs its buy a new turbo.
Without it it still is filtered by the oil filter and can't starve the turbo.
I feel that even if a minute piece of dirt gets trough it is not going to be as much a problem as if the turbo was a bushed bearing unit.

My only concern for not running the mesh filter is increased oil pressure which could cause the seals on the turbo to leak, this has not happened as yet and has been without this mesh filter for about 3000 k's.

And if I had not checked this mesh filter I may have required a new turbo by now , lucky I decided to check it..

As another person said if a turbo is hot when you shut off the oil will carbonise and cause clogging, just look inside a rocker cover on a car that has overheated for a long period, also have a look at a exhaust valve and you will see carbon deposits.

As for turbo timer if can be fitted and not affect the security system or ECU it would not hurt to use.

As for me I just judge how hard I have been driving to how long I sit in it and let it idol down.

And hay stop bagging us oldies and just take in what you can and then make your own investigations and conclussions.

It is the best way to learn so keep a open mind and just think about what a person has to say before bagging them.

The fellow who started this I suggest you check that mesh filter ASAP.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

i think you will find that you will not give the turbo too much oil pressure, all bb units that i know of have a factory fitted restrictor on the oil inlet..

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3