Oxygen injection 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Oxygen injection
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey all, as a reasonable and hopefully achievable project, my thoughts are:
NA engine, water injection, oil seperator and ecu to allow for:

I want to experiment with compressed oxygen (as opposed to nitrous oxide), I figure if the atmosphere is 20% oxygen, when you boost your turbo up past 14.7psi, you double that by force.

So why not have two decent bottles of oxygen and have enough to provide 60-80% pure oxygen for the first half of a quater mile, you'd be effectively raising the 4L engine to a 12-16L capacity, with no recognisable mods (as far as the cops would see).

I'd get the head and brakes done, need good tyres, but i will worry about the tyres if i get to the point of traction issues.

Anyone have any experience on the topic?
Matt

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Post subject: Re: Oxygen injection
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

mmm high oxygen in the motor might have a highly explosive effect... detonation.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Post subject: Re: Oxygen injection
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Small amounts you can do safely, but apart from that it will melt the engine:

"Well it has been tried a long time ago by the Germans during world war II, as a means to improve fighter plane performence. They burned up alot of pistons, valves, and heads. It seems that things were getting to hot So what were they to do, one of there engineers thought to try mixing nitrogen and oxygen, after some testing they seteled on 2 parts nitrogen and one part oxygen or N20 (nitrous oxide)"

"Remember that pure oxygen, O2, is a 'marrying' molecule. It wants to bond with whatever it comes into contact with, and in this case it will be aluminum. If you were to inject pure Oxygen into your system before the MAF, you will run VERY lean, because the density of the air will be altered by an over-abundance of Oxygen. This is the reason that our cars have barometric and temperature sensors. They use them in conjunciton with the MAF to calculate how much Oxygen is in the air at that given time. So, even if you were able to guess the amount of Oxygen that would be entering the combustion chambers at a given time, you will still have to richen up your mixture to see any gains out of this at all (read: SAFC or other fuel controller). Last but not least, even if you were able to get the mixture right, and if you were able to control it enough to run close to stoich, you will still have pure Oxygen bonding with all the wonderful metal parts in your engine. This will lead to HUGE amounts of engine wear. How do I know all this? I had an idea similar to this a while back. Only I planned to use something a little different. I was designing a system to use electrolysis to seperate distilled water into pure hydrogen and oxygen, and I was going to inject that into an engine. This was until I figured out that I was dealing with two VERY volitle elements. That and the amount of gas I was creating was not enough for more than a second or two of juice."

The above posts are copied from http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/nitrous-alcohol-water-injection/16622-pure-oxygen-injection-why-why-not.html

Not going to spend any time on it ;)

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]