Parts purchasing advice 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Parts purchasing advice
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ea falcon

VIC, Australia

Ok boys its time too turbo my eb xr6!
have read all stickys and a few other bits and pieces and theres a massive wealth of knowledge on this forum so im after a bit of advice for MY SPECIFIC requirements.
Background: its a manual,lsd,2000kms ago rebuilt and balanced with ACL kit (so i prob get a decomp plate as comp is 9.8:1) thermo fans and big air dam too feed cooler. all driveline in fantastic condition so hopefully live for a while with boost.

Ok all i,ve got so far is
1. T70 masterpower turbo
2. 3" dump pipe
3. intercooler and plumbing (from chef, thankyou)
And a FEW other bits im probably not gonna use ie wastegate being of questionable origin!

Want to know what specs/brand of the following parts you guys recommend for approx 300rwkw (hopefully) setup, cheers

1 BOV
2 adjustable/electronic wastegate (a little sketchy here, i basically want to be able to adjust boost/power from in the car elctronically)
3 What sort injector ie flow rate. Are jap parts interchangeable with stock fuel rail
4 turbo timer (if needed?)
5 exhaust? 3'' is it enough( can i run my 2.5" for a while?)
6 ECU xtc ems sounds alrite capa e series ecu?
7 Pod filter?

Im all set with oil line and im gonna run a walbro pump!

if ive missed anything please fill it in (a lot to remeber)
i am fairly flexible financially so if you can suggest a marginally better product for a little more $$$ thats cool too!

and if any1 has a turbo manifold(for t3) for sale or recommend a manufacturer im after 1 of those too cheers.

ps if any1 wants too flame me coz im asking something thats been said before please just pm it or dont bother. just after some straight up advice for MY SPECIFIC setup from a couple of you turbo guru's!

thanks alot

EB XR6 project almost complete!

Soon on road with pics!

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

bov turbosmart
eboost2
ford motorsport 42lb
turbotimer any thing about $150 will be good
3" in good
choose what ever your tuner uses
pod k and N

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: vs cluby,elxr6t

VIC, Australia

1 BOV
im not to sure maybe a 50mm turbosmart, well known brand good quality
2 adjustable/electronic wastegate (a little sketchy here, i basically want to be able to adjust boost/power from in the car elctronically)
you'll need and external wastegate, the spring inside the gate are changeable which adjusts boost pressure. to have a two stage boost control from in the cabin you should then get a two stage electronic turbosmart boost controller. It will show you how to install it(easy).
but id ask you when are you going to run low boost? i know ill be on the highest boost i can give it all the time.
3 What sort injector ie flow rate. Are jap parts interchangeable with stock fuel rail
see below at the end. also keep in mind your computer maybe speak to a tuner regarding the computer you go to use if it likes high or low impedance injectors.
4 turbo timer (if needed?)
not needed. although you will need to remember to run your car for a few minutes to give the turbo time to cool down before you turn it off after giving it a pasting.
5 exhaust? 3'' is it enough( can i run my 2.5" for a while?)
get a 3" then its done. turbos dont like back pressure. (will restrict you from making 300kw)
6 ECU xtc ems sounds alrite capa e series ecu?
yer, id suggest to speak to dynowog about getting an xtc ems installed.
7 Pod filter?
well you cant run your standard airbox no more.

injectors
I use the formula off the capa website for injector selection
(Horsepower x B.S.F.C) / (No. of injectors x .80)
=(400 x .60) / (6 x .80)
=50lbs. /hr
or =525cc
im unsure if this is horsepower at the wheels or at the motor, so you may want to go larger injectors, i am chasing 300rwkw at first and have gone the siemens 610cc injectors.

wish i had bigger wheels.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I'm keen to see the results from the T70... they've got some big power from them in the states, so it'll be great to see how it goes on an i6.

Let me know if you need any more help along the way :D

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

first thing i can say is, 300rwkw and T5 arent the best of friends!!!!!!!!!!

you will need atleast 55lb 580cc injectors, mine maxxed at 320rwkw, so 300 would be ok.

boost control?? get a decent ecu that has inbuilt boost control and then you arent having to get and control a seperate system

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:

boost control?? get a decent ecu that has inbuilt boost control and then you arent having to get and control a seperate system

whaT ecu's have this function? can the tuner set this up? i like the idea of switchable programs on the capa ecu. which would allow for a number of different driving conditions ie low boost for daily, highway economy,and drag strip! I like the idea of all this at the touch of a button!

what gearbox would you suggest? wanna keep it manual!

Soon on road with pics!

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

[quote="ISQUIK]
but id ask you when are you going to run low boost? i know ill be on the highest boost i can give it all the time.

i am chasing 300rwkw at first and have gone the siemens 610cc injectors.[/quote]

Itake it yor in the process of a turbo install?

Soon on road with pics!

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

not sure exact models that do and dont, you need to look into that.. yes, any tuner can easily setup boost control via a boost control capable ecu. you just need an appropriate solenoid wired to the ecu and put in your wastegate line. I just use an input switch with the SM4 to switch between hi-lo boost, can effectively have 4 boost levels, and also, gear dependant boost levels.. basically, more boost control than you would ever possibly need... and, if i was that worried about controlling boost on the run, then i can set it up with a potentiometer so i could control the boost variably with the turn of a dial

there is maybe a few gearbox options, one fritzz has just completed converting is a TKO600, ive recently converted to a toyota R154 with cryo-treated gears and custom thrust washer, you can also use the tremec 6spd from the BF, rollin on ff.au has done this conversion... the conversions are out there, just a matter of looking into it enough

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

A bit more info on jap injectors and compatibility appreciated and maybe suggestions along the line of...

Things i'd do differently!

U know s**t you didnt realise till it was too late!

And i need a checklist of parts before i go ahead with the install, please add too following list if i've missed anything thanks.

1 turbo (dahh) got that
2 down pipe got that
3 intercooler, piping and pod got that
4 fuelpump (have a fuel reg, 1 or the other?)
5 injectors
6 bov
7 turbo timer
8 ecu
9 3'' exhaust
10 turbo manifold
11 wastegate
12 cam
13 oil lines/ return feed got lines need feed
14 decomp plate (comp currently at 9.8:1)
15 dyno tuning.

wow looking at it like that i've got a bit of shopping to do!!!

obviously if you have any secondhandys for sale im up for that too.
cheers fellas

Soon on road with pics!

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

Hey guys,
Just saw that the T70 is on your list up top. Do you or anyone else know anyone who's running a T70? I got the opportunity to get one cheap.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

clamps ,silicone hose ,vac hose ,head shelding,oil catch can,

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: vs cluby,elxr6t

VIC, Australia

well if you wanna know what you dont think about at the time.
1.new header tank to plumb water cooler returb line from the turbo to. (and i wouldnt have paid f**k $350 for a pwr one as im currently getting a tig and am going to start making my own custom gear.)
2.braided lines, not hard to spend a fair bit on these.
3. Boost gauge
4. oh yer i almost forgot get a head of panadol as you'll get a solid headache or two.

wish i had bigger wheels.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ISQUIK wrote:
i wouldnt have paid f**k $350 for a pwr one as im currently getting a tig and am going to start making my own custom gear.)

what sort of tig?? have you used one before?? how much do you expect to spend on setting up a tig to professionally do this sort of work??

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I paid $7k for my Tig welder AC/DC etc...Plus $10 a month bottle rent fee....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:59 am 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

ISQUIK wrote:
well if you wanna know what you dont think about at the time.
1.new header tank to plumb water cooler returb line from the turbo to. (and i wouldnt have paid f**k $350 for a pwr one as im currently getting a tig and am going to start making my own custom gear.)
2.braided lines, not hard to spend a fair bit on these.

what ya talking about with the water cooler line? do you have a water to air intercooler?

braided lines are cosmetic only, you dont need them, hi temp pushlock is only 25$ odd a metre, it will work for everything required, even oil feed line, although -3 speedflow will be around 100$ anyway its cheap for what it is, brass can add up tho, for all the fittings.

Just purchased one of the ebay Tig units, spoke to a few people that have tried them, the Tig only units seem to last, the combo units dont, someone down here uses the Tig only unit to weld up alloy heads, runs it at max amps always, and he's blown the fets a few times, but for 930$ delivered cant complain.

http://www.TURBO351.com

2V 351T, 732rwhp@15psi on LPG.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next