Fordmods Logo

plugs for boost 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: plugs for boost
Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF FAIRMONT

VIC, Australia

pulled the spark plugs out of my car just to check the color as it has been 2 weeks since it was tunned.
i found that a small amount of the electrod is burnt off (i mean small i am very fussy) and that the porselin was fine.
i was thinking of trying ba xr6t plugs in it as they are a 22 heat range and iridium and i currantly have a 16 heat range standerd plug.
if anyone has done this or has any advice it would be good. cheers

WOLF V500, t66(ar70 compressor), rochester 550cc injectors, borgg 265l fuel pump, 48mm turbosmart gate, turbosmart plumb back bov, 600x300x100 cooler, 3 inch zorst , 3.45 lsd, xr6 head, wade 1604 cam, adjustable cam gear, K&N pod filter, on 10psi and manual convertion exedy button clutch. 285.6rwkw

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

there seems to be a lot of fuss about spark plugs in turbos. Ive only ever ran zgr6b-11 plugs, and ive never had to change them, done roughly 3500km on them. This included a lot of overly rich, overly len conditons during experimental tuning, all i ever did was take the black ones and swap them with the white ones (this was during individual cylinder fuel adjusting) until all were burning evenly... Im going back to the dyno next week, and I decided since I am trying for 450kw that id give an NGK 7 heat range plug a try, so i bought bp7es plugs, and ill swap both sets on the dyno and see what happens... I cant imagine any change in power (im YET to see the day where spark plugs alone give a power increase... But im more interested to see if im getting detonation with the 6's ill try the 7's... we run 9's in the lambo

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

it depends on your compression ratio and boost... Higher static compression will require colder plugs at higher boost...
If you are burning plugs check tune and or use atleast one step colder plug... Lpg plugs are ok on mediate boost levels...
Gooing cold plugs to cope with higher power / boost levels may require an ignition booster to assist ignition and burn away crud from cold plug...
You may have to fatten fuel mixture up alittle ??

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

I realise this may not be exactly along the lines of this original thread, but anyone with a turbo searching for plug info is likely to read this hoping it can answer some of their questions..

heres a definative DOES WORK combination.. if you are running BOOST/TIMING/COMPRESSION/IGN system numbers that differ massively from what I run, then you may have a plug problem, if your anywhere near my setup, and have ign problems, im 99.9% sure it wont be the sparkplugs..

Ive run between 7-21PSI boost .5-1.4bar, from between 14-21 degrees ign advance, from between ultimate 98 to E85, and from between 320-470kw, 8.4:1 compression... and NEVER had sparkplug problems...

I use IC&E 8mm leads. Im using a distributor with currently BP7ES plugs gapped to .8mm, using E85, with a crane HI-6 and LX-92 coil, and dont have a single ign problem upto 470-500kw with 21psi and 21deg. ZGR6B-11 plugs operate exactly the same

just a small note, if its the ground electrode burnt, then changing heat range will have zero effect, as the heat range has nothing to do with heat dissipation from the ground, only the centre electrode

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Heat will burn away both due to detonation in extreme conditions.. If your compression is lower than cylinder pressure won't be as high..
It doesn't hurt to run colder plugs IF your engine is bassically stock compression..
Btw with my engine I run stock heat range at up to 18 Lb boost.. But keep in mind I have alloy heads, 7.8 compression...
High rpm / boost miss is very hard to get around and find!! In my case one issue was radio interferance and due to low comp and ignition timing we had issues with crossover spark in dissy cap .. No matter how we phased the rotor...So we went wasted spark ...
Tune at high end power levels are hard on fuel delivery and ignition, which is tune...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]