Fordmods Logo

Positive Displacement Charger question 

Page 12 of 16 [ 234 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:09 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

Slick wrote:
For short stroke engines as the Ferrari, of course they'll produce boost earlier.

I was thinking the opposite... short stroke, big bore = bigger valves, so less restriction... the inlet valve being the smallest part of the intake... less restriction means the air flows more readily into the cylinder, so less pressure in the manifold. As I've said before, I could be wrong.

More Grunt, yes that does seem to be on the bleeding edge. With a 1:2.6 drive ratio like that, the input shaft's max speed of 19,000rpm is reached at engine speed of 7300rpm, which is probably on the money for a 1980's Ferrari. I assume they've used a 1980-89 308 or 328, as that is what they do a kit for. But then that kit has this dyno chart http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/images/ferrari_308/308B4andAfter.jpg for which they rev it just past 8000rpm, suggesting the kit uses a bigger pulley. Lies, damn lies and statistics LOL!

I heard a rumour once that a mob called Forced Air Technologies had developed a manifold-mount system for PD blowers that used the bottom half of the BBM with their adapter replacing the top half. They have a very rudimentary website which is useful to get a phone number from, but so far haven't returned my phone calls. IIRC they are in Melbourne. Bluepower in Melbourne might have a go at it, as might RDP in Brisbane. In Perth, Mark's Workshop do a lot of custom work and something like that would seem to be right up their alley. Ironically I have NFI who in Sydney would have a go and do a good job.

Yella Terra hinted late last year that they might do a 3-stage PD offering for the I6 using Eaton and Whipple head units. Using their Boss kit as a guide, I'd expect a price range of maybe $8-12,000, maybe even a bit more for the intercooled Whipple.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I was p****d and not thinking logically last night so disregard the Ferrari stroke thingy. LOL

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:46 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

So what are you doing up so early today? LOL

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:51 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

just thuoght i would bring the thread back, possitive displacement = a given amount of air moved for one rev of the blower , one revolution of a centri wouldnt blow out a cigerette, one rev of a m90 is 90 cubic inches of air moved, m112 = 112ci, kenney bell = 2.0l(sorry dont know the ci) and of course my old favorite the b&m 144=144ci which i had on my previous blown car, 327 chev making 840HP at 8500rpm, 10.03 sec 128mph quarter mile time, in a orig body 1966 chev belair 2.4 tons (not a typo).
why a 327, because i used 350 piston which because of the lower pin hight moved them down the bore 1/8 of an inch or 125 thou to decompress the motor to handle the 15 psi i was pumping

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:05 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

dont like typing oh well, we are running 4 stroke motors that being the case for one rev of a 4.0l i6 you need 2.0l of air (100%ve) and the m90 for ex. pumps 1.4l so itneeds to be over driven to at least 2.0l just to fill the engines requirements, which is a good thing because until you reach a drive of about 2.3:1 you wont be spinningthe blower at its sweet spot , this the case for all blowers , the sweet spot over comes loses past the rotors and still dosnt beat the incoming air to death and over heat it

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:16 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

bit of triv , just waiting for my wolf v500 to turn up (all paid for) so i can start stage 2 of the lane, cant crank it up any further on the std el ecu

Long and Very Nice

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

so if the m90 is over driven to produce 2 litres per revolution, on paper that would equate to running at 1bar?

out of interest if you ran a large whipple (w305) rated at 2bar 5 litre, would there be much loss in efficiency running it under driven at 1 bar?

edit: BTW if anyone having problems with designing or getting brackets made for these pd chargers i may be able to help out.

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

sly wrote:
So what are you doing up so early today? LOL
work!
trying to catch up. been loafing around the last three day's wasting my time on here. LOL

wet weather

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Redford wrote:
so if the m90 is over driven to produce 2 litres per revolution, on paper that would equate to running at 1bar?

2 litres per engine revolution would be 1 bar of absolute pressure (as measured by the MAP sensor: Manifold Absolute Pressure) which is atmospheric pressure. So it's 0psi of boost (gauge pressure). You would get a theoretical 0.5 bar or 7.3psi approx boost from it if it produced 3 litres per engine revolution: 1.5 times the engine requirement so 1.5 bar of absolute pressure or 0.5 bar of gauge pressure.

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:08 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

I've got a mint Eaton M90 you can have for $900. It's well suited to a 4.0L.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
I've got a mint Eaton M90 you can have for $900. It's well suited to a 4.0L.
What gen is it?

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

ha ha what made the plane crash?????????? the driver was a bich

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

sly wrote:
Redford wrote:

2 litres per engine revolution would be 1 bar of absolute pressure (as measured by the MAP sensor: Manifold Absolute Pressure) which is atmospheric pressure. So it's 0psi of boost (gauge pressure). You would get a theoretical 0.5 bar or 7.3psi approx boost from it if it produced 3 litres per engine revolution: 1.5 times the engine requirement so 1.5 bar of absolute pressure or 0.5 bar of gauge pressure.

first of all, you'll need to vector in the crank & blower pulley ratio to determine blower safe limits & psi . in fact, pressure lost should also play a part in predicting pressure ratio. you need to multiply the pressure lost ratio by atmospheric pressure. subtract atmospheric pressure out of the equation & you should be left with your psi.

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Dah, I think i'm calculost! lol

Who knows the crank pulley size for the i6?

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

I did a rough measure a few weeks ago... I think it's 6.5" or 165mm going off a measuring tape. Perhaps Tradewind has run calipers over it for a precise measurement?

To be updated... soon!

Sort by  
 Page 12 of 16  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next