Fordmods Logo

Powerdyne compare Raptor 

Page 1 of 10 [ 139 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Post subject: Powerdyne compare Raptor
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Anyone know how the Raptor V compares to the Powerdyne?

I've been reading about the Raptor, hadn't heard of them when I bought my PD almost 2 years ago.
But for those that don't know there still a centrifugal blower, but they're Australian made. They're still internally belt drive, they seem to have some air cooler in them aswell. In addition they also have there impellor ceramic coated like in some higher end turbosetups.

What's interesting though is that the guy (Tim I believe) from Raptor Superchargers (http://www.raptorsc.com.au/contact.php) now sells upgrades for the PD's.

This is because the USA dealer for Raptors is 928 Motorsports, the same mob that make the upgrades for the PD's. But it turns out that Raptor have been selling 928 Motorsports the bearings for the PD for quiet some time.

Anyways, supposebly now with the Raptor/928 upgrades a PD is capable of 16psi boost with a peak RPM of 60,000. This is done though a 20% more efficent impellor, and better SKF bearings allowing the higher RPM (and heat) caused by fitting a 2.5" pulley (which would be too high RPM for a PD in standard trim). In addition they also upgrade the impellor shaft (stronger and has better vents to prevent belt lift), upgrade the belt to some Gates PowerGrip Kevlar GT something or other and fit some cooling vents.

However, it seems the Aus made (CAPA) PD BD-11A's have a smaller impellor by a few mm's, and so the cover has to be machined a bit inorder to fit the new 5-axis impellor.

Just a bit of random info for anyone that cares. So am I right that in stock form a Raptor V is probably a bit better than a PD, but an upgraded PD has some advantage. Then the Vortech V2 trumps both.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Should of hold back and waited for the raptor! LOL

seriously man, the way you're going... you'll be poor before you know it!

I've done some research & I find the raptor to be a good choice. either that or a modern proficient "ProCharger" with a Aussie bracket to suit the i6. patience is virtue my friend. LOL

A roots would be ideal but no one caters for it anymore for the i6, unless you fab your own bracket & manifold from scratch

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Slick wrote:
Should of hold back and waited for the raptor! LOL

Bit hard to wait for something you don't know existed. And were do you draw the line on how long to wait? Could wait 50 years, I'm sure they'd be even better stuff then!

But as I've said above, based on my readings (including posts by Tim? from Raptor SC on a certain Holdung website) the PD with all the upgrades boosts more than the Raptor, so I guess I'm not that bad off, just got to spend a bit more dollars - but it's not like there ever is a finish line for spending money on a car. He also said that there's no plans for upgrades for the Raptor.

Knowing what I know now I would of been better off copying Pauls setup in the Lane.

I''m wondering about getting Raptor SC to ceramic coat the new impellor for the PD, as they do them for there Raptor V's.

Last edited by twr7cx on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

should have got the vortech V2

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
should have got the vortech V2

They (being CAPA) don't do them to suit the AU VCT setup I want to put in. It's also more boost than I plan to run (although that may change in the future). And it was significantlly more expensive (about 40% over the 9psi PD kit) at the price CAPA gave me on the PD.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

bit off topic but...

how much revs do you need before you start to gett boost???

being a centrifugal blower they wouldnt have the same kick down low as a positive displacement blower would they????

im really looking for more torque across the range

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

gogetta wrote:
bit off topic but...

being a centrifugal blower they wouldnt have the same kick down low as a positive displacement blower would they????

When I was running 6 psi it was quiet high before I saw any boost, around 3,000rpm if memory serves me right.

Now with the 9psi I'm not sure as I've got a few dramas on at the moment.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

I've just bought me a Raptor for my BA ute so we'll see.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

From what I have read, the Powerdyne BD11a moves more air than the Raptor V, and the upgraded Powerdyne moves more air than a Vortech S-trim.

Are you sure Raptor are ceramic coating the impellar? I thought the "ceramic technology" was a reference to the better bearings they run... (as in the Powerdyne upgrade kit)

Whats the cost in $AUS of the Powerdyne upgrade?

EDIT: Just found a thread on StreetCommodores with a bunch of info... http://forum.streetcommodores.com.au/sh ... ?t=8502771

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

xr8ute wrote:
Are you sure Raptor are ceramic coating the impellar? I thought the "ceramic technology" was a reference to the better bearings they run... (as in the Powerdyne upgrade kit)

Whats the cost in $AUS of the Powerdyne upgrade?

100% sure on the ceramic coated impellor.
See (taken from 928 Motorsports eBay shop):

I'm unsure of the AUD cost of the PD upgrades, but in US$ it is $245.00 for the belt and ceramic bearings, $495.00 for the impellor and $219.00 forr the impellor shaft. So not really cheap.
Although I did read that Raptor sell the bearings for less than they charge in the US. I plan to call them tomorrow for his prices etc.

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Yeah, I noticed the statement from one of the Raptor guys in that thread as well about ceramic coating the compressor wheel...

Agreed its not real cheap, but for the improvement in performance, if you've already got a Powerdyne it would seem like an incredibly tempting upgrade.

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

xr8ute wrote:
Yeah, I noticed the statement from one of the Raptor guys in that thread as well about ceramic coating the compressor wheel...

Agreed its not real cheap, but for the improvement in performance, if you've already got a Powerdyne it would seem like an incredibly tempting upgrade.

I'm looking at just replacing the impellor perhaps at the moment, that alone will give 20% better performance, and is easy enough to do. Considering I won't be increasing the internal RPM by doign that the belt and bearings will be fine.
Then later on I can replace the belt and bearings and move to a 2.5" pulley if I want to.

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

gogetta wrote:

That's a question I've been chasing the answer for, for quite a while now. In the meantime I've made some other mods to my car (AU wagon, automatic) to improve the stock sluggish takeoff. The stock cam is advanced a bit using a vernier cam gear, the diff is now a 3.73 LSD, and even other things like a set of Pacey 4499's and de-restricting the air intake seem to help as low as 2000rpm where my TC stalls up.

I'll be fitting a Raptor kit soon after they're available. In the meantime I've collected some 0-60ft times with a Gtech which I've posted up here :http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpost.php?p=2024884&postcount=29. When I've run it in and had the tune checked, I'll do some "after" runs in the same place and post up the results.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

Good move sly.
The Raptor is the only supercharger with a fan for the Supercharger gearbox,the unit has ceramic bearings and impeller no oil lines to screw up and is Aussie made.
I'll know more late next week.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: slammed EL

Power: 120 rwkw

SA, Australia

one of my mates has blown two raptor blower within a month of each other.
he has a HJ ute with an injected 5L.
he blew them both up while in burnout comp, the first one was at summernats then at murray bridge autofest.

Ford Motor Company
FoMoCo

Holden Motor Company
HoMoCo

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 10  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next