Fordmods Logo

Project: Turbo AU Falcon. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Project: Turbo AU Falcon.
Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Will be installing Turbo in few months time.

I'm researching about turbo setups for my AU and have found heaps of information. Thanks espicially to Chef as his thread has helped me alot. Just got a few questions that I couldn't find answers for.

1) Quick question about mounting the turbo oil drain line in the wall of the sump. Has anyone got any close up pictures of this. I don't want to get any fragments in the sump. Is it possible to mount the drain line without removing the sump in my AU? Removing the sump is a pain in the a*** as I have to remove the crossmember or pull motor out. Any help on this would be extremely helpfull.

2) Has anyone got any detailed photo's of the intercooler piping on an AU with the front bar off. Just want to get an idea of the best place to cut up to run the piping.

3) These Walbro Fuel pumps people are using, are they a direct in tank replacement for the current fuel pump.

4) One last question regarding tuning I want to run an aftermarket ECU, I havn't chosen a brand yet as I need to find some one on the Central Coast NSW who can tune ECU's for turbo applications. Is there a site that recomends dyno tuners in my area or do any of you guys know any shop that could help me out. I will be installing myself, just need it tuned.

Your help is much appreciated

Cheers Scott

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Question 1: Yes, it is possible to put in a return line without removing the sump. The drill or hole saw is coated with grease to trap the filings. Its not fool proof but, and youd be lucky to get it in without at least some metal going into the sump. It should be picked up by the filter, but personally id be removing the sump. Another way could be to punch a hole rather than drill, and then weld or braze on a fitting from there. Again, rather dodgy. The return line must be above the oil level at all times so as to provide adequate drainage. Apart from that, just make sure it wont fowl on any moving parts in the motor.

Question 3: Yes, you can get replacement pumps that bolt into the factory location, so thats a plus!

Good luck with the rest, and have fun with the boost :P

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Cheers, thanks for the reply, yeah it looks like the safest option is to remove the sump. Might just pull the motor out so I can tidy up the engine bay while I'm there.

Also forgot to ask about head gasket, Is the best option to run 2 gaskets to lower the compression or can I buy a decompression plate for the falcon I6.

Other plans also include a turbo ground cam and stronger valve springs, any recomendations. Also has anyone machined the head and if so how much were they macined to flow.

I think the bottom end will remain stock for the time being as I'm only aiming for 250-270rwkw.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Scott

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

as for tuning if you could get to morriset then Gossie's dyno would be able to do it....
or at west gosford there is the throttle shop...
cheers

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

The best way is to remove the sump, but i just undid all the bolts, so it dropped about a couple of inches, then with a drill bit all greased up, drilled through, but i had another rage filled with grease on the inside of the sump. Then just flushed the sump with oil a couple of times.
No problem with that yet, after a fair bit of driving.

Yes the Walbro fuel pumps are a direct swap for the fuel pump in your car at the moment. Easy enough to do as well.

I've found the Wolf 3D i've put in mine to work very well. Haven't had any drama's with it yet, and its running fairly well. But you need to find a good tuner, sorry i can't help you with that in NSW.

The best thing to do with cooler piping, is to figure out exactly what size cooler (width) can fit without it touching your headlight assembly or anything else in front of the radiator. I had to relocate my horns, but everything else was fine.
Then because you'd have the Front bar off, you'd be able to see what you will need to cut out for the front bar to fit back on with the cooler in place.
Plus where to run your cooler piping.

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the advice guys,

Spack-pilot, Have you had work done from the throttle shop, How did you rate their work. I have heard numerous mixed reports about their quality of work for the price you pay.
Also who is Gossie is he a member on these forums and does he have experience with tuning turbo falcons. Trailering to morriset wouldn't be a problem as It's the same distance that it is to West Gosford.

EL XR8, thanks for that sounds like that might work with the greasy rag in the sump. Yeah another reason I wanted to see photos of the cooler piping is so I know how many steel bends to buy and what angle bends. Plus I havn't seen a front on shot of what a cooler looks like in an AU.

I really appreciate all the help.

Cheers Scott

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

You might find your best bet for cooler piping is to get it all setup with the cooler mounted, etc and get an exhaust place to do the piping for you. They will make all the bends and angles for you in steel. You can then polish it up yourself, to save a little $$$ For the time being i just sprayed mine in a silver VHT caliper paint.
They could do most of the piping with only a couple of silicon joiners.
I got all my piping done for $500. I just had the holes cut where i wanted it run, and they did it. Plus when things didn't 100% line up how i wanted, they just cut the pipe re mig welded it to how i needed it, for nothing.

Dave

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:29 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA2 'Mont

VIC, Australia

anyone who's put a drain line in an au sump happen to have a photo of where they've located it?

any have you had a fitting welded/braized to it or just tapped the hole?

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:19 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Welcome to the forum Scotty - have a read of this :

http://www.gasresearchpc.com.au/html/installation.html

Cheers,
Steve

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:29 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

i have also heard mixed reports about the throttle shop...
but from experience: i wanted to get an intake pipe done in stainless, nothing special just a neat pipe instead of the rubber one i had on the car at the time... they wanted $250
i have also heard their tuning to be a little questionable BUT i have only my experience with the intake piping and i believed it to be too pricey...

Gossies is a dyno tune place at morriset ( he isnt a member... i dont think anyway)
they specialize in tuning turbo cars and fixing cooling problems in turbo cars (sounds odd but could be very useful)
i havnt got the number on me but look up dyno in the yellow pages and im sure you will see the add
i havnt had experience with him but i have been told to go to him by a number of people
cheers hope this helps

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

the drain in the au sump will be more dificult than a e-series 4l, because the sump is made out of thick cast alloy. i carnt rely tell u how hard its gonna be with the engine in the car because i havent seen underneth a au engine bay before. i think u may have take the engine out. just have a look yourself and u will be able to see if u can fit a drill in there

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

fritzz wrote:
the drain in the au sump will be more dificult than a e-series 4l, because the sump is made out of thick cast alloy. i carnt rely tell u how hard its gonna be with the engine in the car because i havent seen underneth a au engine bay before. i think u may have take the engine out. just have a look yourself and u will be able to see if u can fit a drill in there

First post on Fordmods! :)

I have done this to an AU on the car, and on another engine out of the car.

For both I used grease as described above.

The alloy sump on the AU is thick enough to get a few good threads into

Turbo AU falcon LPG 222.5 RWKW.
BAMKII XR6T with SVI - the first one!.
CR500E - Road registered CR500
VF1000R Mid 80's racer built as a HMP special
T88 Turbo XT Falcon with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Cheers for all the replys guys, engine will most likely come out as I want to give it a good tidy up and probbally a splash of paint. May as well do it all properly the first time

Snack Pilot, cheers for that, I will look into Gossies further down the track.

Turbotaxi, Is this the same turbotaxi of fordforums, if so have you got photos of your intercooler install up on fordforums yet. I remember you were having trouble blowing of your cooler piping under boost. I would really like to see some photos of a cooler on a stock AU front bar.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

scotty_d wrote:
Cheers for all the replys guys, engine will most likely come out as I want to give it a good tidy up and probbally a splash of paint. May as well do it all properly the first time

Snack Pilot, cheers for that, I will look into Gossies further down the track.

Turbotaxi, Is this the same turbotaxi of fordforums, if so have you got photos of your intercooler install up on fordforums yet. I remember you were having trouble blowing of your cooler piping under boost. I would really like to see some photos of a cooler on a stock AU front bar.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Yeah there are some,

Here are some links.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/ ... 6b366f.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/ ... oon006.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/ ... oon015.jpg

I have all three inch mild steel bends now, as per the last pic.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Oh yeah, obviously I am the same TURBOTAXI.

I took to my front bar with a circular saw to make more room, it turned out I really didnt need to.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next