Fordmods Logo

Small turbos 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:40 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Smallest I've seen on a 4L. Not sure what they are, but they're tiny. Put out 225RWKW.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

SA, Australia

Blu Falc wrote:
you will hid the surge and choke lines of the turbo and you will melt maifolds from the extreme backpressure.

could you correct any grammar/typo errors in this coz i can't work out what it means :cry: i understand that you're saying that the turbo is too much of a restriction in my exhaust but i'm only looking at low boost because the main aim is torque and response down low. this "should" mean that the turbo isn't going to have to work that much harder than it was desgined for because its pushing lower boost on a larger engine. also to combat the issue of exhaust restriction i was going to run an external wastegate either instead of or as well as (still researching/deciding) the internal one.

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Lets look at this in a realistic way.
As we all know, TT set ups work and get you an easy 200odd kws. But, your doing this with old small usually mismatched ( due to age ) turbos and if you get them rebuilt you may as well have bought a new t04 for the same money.
All the TT set ups Ive seen have had to run 14odd psi to reach 200wkws, and most of these jap factory turbos dont like working over 10psi, thus going right out of their range and getting seriously hot, blowing this hot air in.
So what do we end up with??
Alot of extra pipe/manifold work/oil lines ect, s**t more heat in the eng bay, an enging that is copping 15psi and inlet temps of around 60degC.

Thats alot of stress for a stocker 200ooo kay motor. A big single turbo on 14psi will have inlet temps of not much more than ambient (decent FMIC used) so will be HEAPS safer and easilly produce over 250wkws... really you should get this at less boost with a good tuned set up.

In my view, if you want a TT set up, use bigger GT30s on a good flowing manifold with big dump pipes... but this will cost more than a very good single set up.

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

Slabz wrote:
Blu Falc wrote:
you will hid the surge and choke lines of the turbo and you will melt maifolds from the extreme backpressure.

could you correct any grammar/typo errors in this coz i can't work out what it means :cry: i understand that you're saying that the turbo is too much of a restriction in my exhaust but i'm only looking at low boost because the main aim is torque and response down low. this "should" mean that the turbo isn't going to have to work that much harder than it was desgined for because its pushing lower boost on a larger engine. also to combat the issue of exhaust restriction i was going to run an external wastegate either instead of or as well as (still researching/deciding) the internal one.

the grammar is fine, i meant hit instead of hid.

you will need a massive external wastegate, not cheap you may as well buy a cheap T70 off ebay so you only need a smaller wastegate and you dont get all the heat issues.
you will neeed a manifold that can handle extreme temps with such a tiny turbo.

you will also have a HUGE problem trying to control the shaft speed of the turbo at higher revs, you will kill your turbo very quickly

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Blu Falc wrote:
Slabz wrote:
Blu Falc wrote:

you will need a massive external wastegate, not cheap you may as well buy a cheap T70 off ebay so you only need a smaller wastegate and you dont get all the heat issues.

you will also have a HUGE problem trying to control the shaft speed of the turbo at higher revs, you will kill your turbo very quickly

i've found external wastegates for under $130 and the turbo only cost me $50 so i'm not gonna loose any sleep if it dies.

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Go for it then Slabs, hopefully it wont be another abandoned turbo project

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Slabz wrote:
Blu Falc wrote:
Slabz wrote:
Blu Falc wrote:

i've found external wastegates for under $130 and the turbo only cost me $50 so i'm not gonna loose any sleep if it dies.

have you seen the overboosting problems some of the guys have encountered using bigger turbo's and 38mm external gates? you would need at least a 50mm one, i'd say even that is too small. I'm just trying to save you some money, ive been down this path with a bigger turbo. at the moment you havent spent much but you have to budjet how much you will spend and see if you can afford to have that setup go to s**t

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Blu Falc wrote:
Slabz wrote:
Blu Falc wrote:
Slabz wrote:
Blu Falc wrote:

have you seen the overboosting problems some of the guys have encountered using bigger turbo's and 38mm external gates? you would need at least a 50mm one, i'd say even that is too small. I'm just trying to save you some money, ive been down this path with a bigger turbo. at the moment you havent spent much but you have to budjet how much you will spend and see if you can afford to have that setup go to s**t

i haven't seen any turbo falcons with small turbos. in fact the only turbo falcons i know of are a couple on here and they've all used T4 sized turbos and believe me, i'd also like to but i seriously can't afford buying a brand new turbo right now so i just wanted to try this experiment. if it fails then so be it, lesson learned.

would fitting a larger compressor wheel and front cover to this turbo:
1. be possible ??? :?
2. help to keep shaft speeds down (becuase a bigger wheel won't have to spin as fast as a small one to create X ammount on pressure on Y engine) and if the shaft speeds are kept down then the excess heat generation problem should be lessened. (also having the extra external wastegate to maintain exhaust flow). obviously the problem of how cheaply can i get a bigger front wheel and cover for, arrises and if the answer is not cheap then obviously its better getting the bigger turbo.

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:15 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Just fit a t04B and e done with it!
Our motors are simply that big that BIG turbos for ricers are about right for our torquey motors. When do you want this turbo to spool up by?
1200...? 1600...?
The Big GT3540R as fitted to the XR6 Turbo sees full boost by 2500rpm...
Buy yourself a t04B with a 0.69 or even a 0.58 turbine housing and bolt that up. I bought a t04B for my cortina few years ago. Came off a range rover 3.5L v8. 0.58ar rear housing... Might of cut the mustard if it was a stock low comp 200... But not on a 250, with head work, large cam and 14psi of boost! So I ended up with a T04E.
Buy yourself a half decent turbo, that can flow the numbers to suit a 4L motor and fit a smaller AR rear housing and use a high torque cam with small dia. primary pipes feeding the snail.
Remember that a standard converter will stall up to about 2000rpm.
Also too small a turbo will cause early failure of YOUR exhaust valves due to the tremendous heat, as well as increasing fuel consumption...

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Who said anything about having to buy NEW?
I see you have lower diff gears and a T5...
So why do you need more low end torque????...???

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Fit a Gt4088 good spool and cheap enough...
They have the newer type compressor housings...
Bush bearing but will do the job!!!!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

im using a small turbo on my falcon :lol: :lol: only a 550hp one
]

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

balizticbobo wrote:
Who said anything about having to buy NEW?
I see you have lower diff gears and a T5...
So why do you need more low end torque????...???

the 3.89 diff gears are actually too short believe it or not so i'm gonna go back to 3.27s and try that.

and balisticbobo, thanks for ur view. i want boost as early as possible and i'd like to get a larger turbo but being a pov uni student makes it kinda hard to buy $500 turbos. where would you suggest buying a turbo from and have you got any idea about price???

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

search ebay, but if your a pov uni student I would recommend leaving the turbo idea untill you can afford to replace, engines, transmitions and other components that you risk by running the wrong gear

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2