Fordmods Logo

Snort Turbo Charge on EF 

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:00 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

You can make shift kits for like $20, or buy them for $120
Depends how hard it shifts stock, mines really firm so i didn't bother with one

FMU = fuel management unit, fuel regulator it think....

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

QLD, Australia

I put a Snort Kit on an XH. (similar setup to an Ef EL) . It is not just a throw it in there and fly setup. There is not much room to fit the intercooler etc.
After 2 blown motors I would recommend that the fuel system is upgraded first, fuel pump, regulator etc, If the thing runs lean detonation starts and soon goodby engine.
If you are going to run any sort of usefull boost the EMS will be suspect, mine would not regulate fuel mixture reliabily above 2PSI. boost.
Cooling is important check that too.
Having said all that I am pleased with my setup. I have dual fuel and it loves the gas ( no aftermarket EMS. so I try to keep off the petrol)
There a couple of photos in my gallery if you are interested.
Peter

peter

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairmont EF

VIC, Australia

Hmm sounds like a big hassle, but i want it so bad! I think the fuel management deff needs to be attended to before i start using decent boost. Im going to save around 6K for everything to be done, how much am i looking at for a change in fuel management?

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Fuel pump, bosch one = $200
Rising rate reg = $80
injectors = $400 (cheers daz)

Flash tune and chip things start at $800 and head north from there

these are just estimates, i'm yet to have mine chipped and have had no dramas

Last edited by millzy555 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

millzy555 wrote:
injectors = $120

Flash tune and chip things start at $800 and head north from there

these are just estimates, i'm yet to have mine chipped and have had no dramas

$120 might get you 2 injectors, still need another 4.....if you're lucky you can get some good inj' off ebay, i scored a set of 42 lb'ers for $355 to my door. Sweet action....

8-) Daz 8-)

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Bruceyy wrote:
Hmm sounds like a big hassle, but i want it so bad! I think the fuel management deff needs to be attended to before i start using decent boost. Im going to save around 6K for everything to be done, how much am i looking at for a change in fuel management?

Mate as i said before do some more research, how can u budget 6k total and not have any idea how much a Engine management setup will cost you.....
your saying i have 6k to spend... turbo kit is ~3k
u go buy a fully programmable ECU - for 1200, then 500 to install and another 300 for the dyno tune - all ready at 5k right there.

Everything else involved going to cost less than $1000 ???

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:50 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ED Futura 5M

QLD, Australia

Snort kits are the easiest on the market to get setup!

And for those of you out there that say the standard computer and t5 won't take it, I'm here to tell you, you're wrong!

What you get with the Snort kit:
Manifold, turbo, dump pipe, wastegate, screamer pipe(if externally gated), BOV, intercooler, intake pipe and air filter, oil feed and drain lines and fittings 12:1 fuel pressure regulator (must be plumbed inline after the stock reg. I think thats it.

What you need after that:
Cooler piping, exhaust, silicone joiners, fuel line to plumb the 12:1 in, fuel pump (Walbro 255 or Bosch 040), some vacuum lines. That should have the car running!

The standard computer and map sensor will take up to 11psi max so you can safely run 10psi all day on the stock stuff as long as you have enough fuel for it. The 12:1 reg should take care of that but i would suggest a dyno run to check AFR's before treating it too badly.

As for the T5 I have just removed a, still working(not broken) EA t5 from my car in which it put up with 300rwhp for 2months and 347rwhp for about the same amount of time. I was not nice to it either for those who will automatically assume I babied it. Didn't happen!

There have been a lot of wrong perceptions when it comes to what you can do with a mostly stock E-Series for a long time. Now there is proof that it can be done.

PS: Chef was a fool and that car was a bucket of crap that made no boost. I helped dismantle the car when it got to QLD. It was rubbish.

Last edited by BI6TIM on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

BT, should post the Willowbank Vid over here to prove the EA T5 didnt get babied, although 13.7@110mph driving it off the line should also prove that

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

BI6TIM Sounds like you know what your talking about.

Im a complete rookie at all this, and have only looked into snort performance for about 2 days, plus the rest of the research... If im paying the 3K for the stage 2 snort, how much will i be looking at for the rest of the setup?

As you said there are a number of components i will need to look at after installation of the turbo kit, before the car is running properly without any problems.

Can you give me an estimate of how much i should save, so i have a sort of goal or benchmark to hit...?

That goes for anyone, i need as many opinions as possible =D

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

This engine bay cost me about $7000 but I've been in the motor industry for a while and know a lot of people that saved me a lot of money. Everything in this engine bay is new!

That's including the exhaust but nothing else outside of the engine bay like gearbox or diff. I've probably spend the best part of $10,000 on this car in the last 6months and that doesn't include suspension etc. which was all done by the time I took the car off the road for this turbo conversion.

You don't have to spend that much though. I would say you could get away with it for about $6000 if you don't build a new motor.

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

wow, that looks awsome!

i pretty much said to myself if i go into this, im gonna be looking at about 6 - 7K by the time the car is running without any problems. Iv got a few mates in industry aswell, which will help. My mate is a ford mechanic, hes going to install the turbo kit for me, and take it to get dynoed and tuned.

He'll also do any extra installations for me, but thats we're im stumped. I know im going to get the snort stage 2 kit, but after that i dont know what to get so that it runs without problems. As you suggested in the post about 2 above, is that all i will need for it to run nicely?

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

The only other things you'll need, that don't come in the snort kit, are cooler piping, exhaust, fuel pump, silicone joiners and I'd like to see the xr6 spark plugs (which are one heat range colder) go into it and clean injectors would be nice too.

After all that there is just the usual things that you do with an E-Series ie: set base timing properly, set base idle properly etc.

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

ye i understand, thanks mate, as long as i attend to the important things, like the ones u mentioned i think ill be ok. Thanks mate. ill get back to u if i have anymore queries.

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

mate of mines au ute is running standard fuel pump with 42 lb injectors and its pullin 250rwkw on a snort stage 3. its strange he had a bosch intank pump but the guys who put his turno on didnt use it. can i ask? how come when you do a fuel return test on a car there is s**t loads of fuel coming back so i figured there is room for bigger injectors. i am getting the bits and pieces together for my ef xr atm and i have a walbro internal 255 ltr/hr and ba injectors ready to go. i dont know why the guys at kpm motorsport didnt use his internal pump they said its the wrong one?

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

i have been told that ba injectors are 24psi and my ef ones are 18psi??? i dont understand how its in psi im used to cc's but any ways the ba ones were only $220 exchange for 6 from repco

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next