snort turbo running issues 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: snort turbo running issues
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ed falcon

NSW, Australia

gday all!
well where do i start..i just finished installin the snort stage2 kit to my ed with a fresh motor using the supplied fuel reg, walbro255lph, standard computer and cam, and tonight thinkin it was all finished tried to drive it from exhaust shop but as soon as boost starts it gives out the mother of all backfires no power n really just doesnt wanna hear about it even before 2k rpm its really lacking in power strugglin to get it past 70kph, idle seems to be ok...sometimes but will occasionally stall, all vacuum lines are good havnt played with timing yet as just got it back tonight. correct me if im wrong but i thought the standard computer/map sensor will recognise +6psi so that wouldnt be an issue as its setup for 6pund right?exhaust is pretty smokey but like i said fresh motor, exhaust on its first drive plus its rainin so couldnt tell colour..this cars killin me!so any help from anyone would be much much appreciated!!
cheers

Post subject: Re: snort turbo running issues
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Is the 12:1 reg put in the right way? Jump on boostedfalcon.net and speak to iceman, he IS Snort performance.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:21 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

you will need to close the gap on the spark plugs to about .8-.9mm
as soon as you hit any boost the pressure can kill spark causing it to breakdown..

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Make sure the fmu us on the RETURN line, i had a similar issue with my raptor xr8 and it would close off fuel and have NO power whatsoever .

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

thanks guys!tomorrow am goin to check out fuel pressure, try get timing a bit better n also goin to see if if run the map sensor line to the intake pipe before the turbo to get vacuum from there if itl sorta trick the ecu because i cant really find a definitive answer to weather or not the ecu/map sensor can handle 6psi but if that does work will be worried about when on high load vacuum in the intake pipe will be through the roof which is not in conjunction with a n/a motor but hey worth a shot i spose'touch wood'...also with the fuel reg there is no flow direction (no marks to indicate either) through it i thought as itsjust a diaphragm widenin or narrowing a port to control flow well from my experience but i could be wrong?but yer its def on return side of things n will also try close up the plug gaps a bit got the old xr6 1.1s in it atm thanks again any more ideas are welcome coz i really want her runnin right!7months since i started so im ready to drive already!hah cheers!

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Above 10psi the ecu shuts things down, they can handle boost, but can't put fuel in for them. So it's teh ghey

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon EBII/EF Turbo

VIC, Australia

Hey man
ive got the exact same kit.
Check youve got the reg the right way around.
I also had a walbro 255lt pump and it was a waste of money. They arent really suited to the application your using it for.
If you have huge injectors and they are tuned then it wil be fine. but under the pressure in the fuel lines the walbro wont cut it.
when i had mine chipped and tuned the fuel pump could only support to 6.5psi
Best to go out and buy a good bosch 040 or 044 pump, im running 10.5psi on a stock motor with a j3 chip and i thrash it day in day out and still feels nice and strong...but the gear box and standard clutch is a different story 8-)

vaaaaaauuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm ppsshhhhhhhhhhhhhtt vaaaaauuuummmmmm

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:13 pm 

NSW, Australia

bunghole wrote:
Hey man
I also had a walbro 255lt pump and it was a waste of money. They arent really suited to the application your using it for.
If you have huge injectors and they are tuned then it wil be fine. but under the pressure in the fuel lines the walbro wont cut it.

are you sure your walbro wasnt a chinese copy??
im using the same walbro pump and am running 11.5 psi boost and fuel system is fine...

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I had the same issues with mine when I first installed it.. these guys have got the right ideas.. and I recommend replaceing tha walbro pump with a bosch 023.. my build thread is in my sig..

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

well yesterday i got her runnin pretty well gapped the plugs new o2 sensor n put a lot more timin in her n she ran pretty well still not perfect had detonation on high load/full throttle but runnin 20times better than before...but today the nightmare continued when i was tryin new timing again low n behold the headgasket went...happy days, n also had a vacuum/boost gauge on today to check boost n the effen thing would go full boost i mean the gauge only wrent to 10psi but it would just spike right to the end so i geuss thats not gonna help the matter.the line to the wastegate was on n fine, also used this line to T in the gauge so it is recievin manifold pressure, tried movin the gate arm seems to be fine springs back n all, so s**t i dunno i geuss first things first a head gasket was goin o use the au metal shim gaskets but the compression i have atm is already above factory 9.5:1 when comp tested got bout 13-1400kpa (200psi) n i think the au gaskets are slightly thinner but stronger..but after thats sorted i geuss check the wastegate operation with somethin opposite to a mighty vac ive never seen one that can give out +ve pressure tho any ideas?..n then T in a boost controller into the line set to low n see how it is then.
cheers fellas!

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:46 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon EBII/EF Turbo

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
bunghole wrote:
Hey man

im using the same walbro pump and am running 11.5 psi boost and fuel system is fine...

But are you running larger injectors?

vaaaaaauuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm ppsshhhhhhhhhhhhhtt vaaaaauuuummmmmm

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

with the 12:1 reg, you will need the high pressusre version.

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:37 am 

NSW, Australia

bunghole wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
bunghole wrote:
Hey man

But are you running larger injectors?

bunghole wrote:
If you have huge injectors and they are tuned then it wil be fine

yea sorry i missed that part of your reply..^^^^^^ :oops:

but yea i am running bigger injectors...

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:31 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: Commodore VZ SV6

QLD, Australia

Do hope you can get it all running sweet, we are probably too conservative on the Raptor tunes but it saves freakin dramas.

I think match it all up with a decent tune instead of the bandaids and you will have more joy otherwise you are really just going to send another head gasket west.

Raptor SC, blow your mind ..... not your wallet

Holden VZ SV6 Alloytec - 270rwkw (premium SC kit)

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

yer cheers!well i found the wastegate is not openin at 10psi n maybe not even at all (gauge only goes to 10pound)usin a mighty vac so it would seem theres some hectic spring in there or the diaphragm is cactus which is a shame seein i just bought it of snort..so a whole lotta boost with no fuel n too much timin wont help so wil hav to sort that out, will get the head off on sat n hopefully theres no burnt valves or damaged ring flats even tho wont know that til shes runnin again but fingers crossed!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next