Fordmods Logo

So I want to turbo my falcon but I've got more questions... 

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: VZ SS 6Ltr ute, Honda VFR800

VIC, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
Also, where do I look for things like injectors, fuel pumps, ECU's in SA?

you can always give ebay a try, you never what you might find...

My Cars
2006 VZ SS cammed 6Ltr ute 295rwkW
2004 BA XR6T - 290rwkW 12.5@113mph ( SOLD )
1996 EFII Fairmont - 130rwkW 15.5@91mph ( SOLD )

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

QLD, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
MoNGooSE wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
just get a 6 psi capa supercharger kit.
They're in your price range. and the kits are complete - everything you needed (except the time and elbow grease to install it).
you'll still have a BOV so all your mates will be like wow (and probably think it's Turbo as they won't relise you can have a BOV on supercharger set ups).

Yeh, I know all about the Capa kits. But I dunno, there's something about turbos that I love. Besides, I am wanting to do the work myself with my Dad.

Sounds more like you just want a turbo couse the rest of your mates probably talk them up re Skylines and WRX's, etc.
You do relise that a turbo is actually a form of supercharger right? The only basic difference is that a supercharger is belt (or chain) turned, but with a turbo this has been replaced with a wheel that's turned by the exhaust gases flowing. Very similar concepts, and as said turbos branched off from superchargers originally.

As for doing it yourself with your dad - even more reason for Capa - you get a big box arriving to your door, everything you need is in there and there's a nice easy to follow instruction manual for you to follow.

Anyways, your choice, don't bother me none what ever you do, or don't do...

Dude what's your problem? You really haven't helped at all. Just put me down for asking quesions. Not one of my mates knows a thing abot cars. They don't even know what a Skyline is let alone talk them up. I know wat a turbo is, i know wat a supercharger is, i know how they work and i know wat they do. But I am always wanting to learn more about everything. So please keep your smart a*** comments to yourself unless you have something genuinely constructive to say.

he is just offering his opinion and has been around a lot longer than yourself. he is speaking from knowledge gained from this site and maybe a bit of personal exp. people tend to get up in arms when people start saying stuff against what a person is saying, people on here are here to help and he is offering an opinion

in MY opinion just go with the supercharger cause its wayyyyyy easier and easier to engineer

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

I wasn't talking about his 'help'... I was talking about his comments about me only wanting a turbo coz of RICErs and s**t. Besides, my questions up the top had nothing to do with whether I should turbo or supercharge.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

he is offering an opinion that for the same price it would be easier to supercharge as its a complete kit rather than piecing together a kit separtly

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

MoNGoose, I notice people like to attack younger people such as yourself and its happenned in the past simply because they have stupid ideas or no idea whats goin on. You on the other hand, as I have observed since you joined do know what you are on about and deserve more credit so I hope twr7cx will lay off you. Don't take it personally, you'll be the one laughing when you've got the car nice and boosted :).

Now back on topic to help you, there is a mag in the newsagents at the moment called "performance buildups best fords". They've got a writeup/guide on an EL xr6 that has been turbocharged laying out things you should consider. Might be worth checking out.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

im not attacking people cause of age but twr7cx has been aroundd for a long time and has put his input into many topics. 5k is a lot of money maybe you should sell your car and get something already turboed, u will save lots of money in the long run

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
MoNGoose, I notice people like to attack younger people such as yourself and its happenned in the past simply because they have stupid ideas or no idea whats goin on. You on the other hand, as I have observed since you joined do know what you are on about and deserve more credit so I hope twr7cx will lay off you. Don't take it personally, you'll be the one laughing when you've got the car nice and boosted :).

Now back on topic to help you, there is a mag in the newsagents at the moment called "performance buildups best fords". They've got a writeup/guide on an EL xr6 that has been turbocharged laying out things you should consider. Might be worth checking out.

Thanks for that man. And I'll definately check out the mag.

OBS35N wrote:
im not attacking people cause of age but twr7cx has been aroundd for a long time and has put his input into many topics. 5k is a lot of money maybe you should sell your car and get something already turboed, u will save lots of money in the long run

Not a problem man. I realise his experience and I did take on wat he said. However, he could have put forward his opinion without the smart a*** comments directed towards me.

Truth is, I've been wanting to boost my car for ages but have always though it too hard or too expensive. Both of which are true really. But on the weekend just been (when I started this thread) I broke up with my girl who I'd been with for two and a half years as well as losing a very close friend of mine to cancer. It shook me around a fair bit. So I started dreaming about turbos again to take my mind of it all. Sounds stupid and childish but it helped.

Now I'm starting to get over it all and I can think straight, I can once again see all the problems with taking on a task like this whilst I am earning so little. So instead, I'm thinking of strengthening up the motor itself and going for a N/A rebuild with one of the JMM kits or similar.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Full NA rebuild + jmm parts will cost nearly as much for less than half the gain.

Pfft. Turboing a car is anything but hard. If you can bolt on exhaust manifolds and bolt in fittings then its a piece of cake.

Welding is the only hard part but 11ty billion people make manifolds now and intercooler piping costs f**k all so whats the problem?

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
Full NA rebuild + jmm parts will cost nearly as much for less than half the gain.

Pfft. Turboing a car is anything but hard. If you can bolt on exhaust manifolds and bolt in fittings then its a piece of cake.

Welding is the only hard part but 11ty billion people make manifolds now and intercooler piping costs f**k all so whats the problem?

I dunno... Everyone's being mean :cry:

Nah... two reasons, like I said, there's the money problem. But also, how do you go about registering the car after a turbo build? Being a P plater with a loud car will get me pulled over and defected sooner or later...

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Make it quiet.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
Make it quiet.

Haha... yeh that's helpful... What's the point in having a turbo if you can't show it off! Sadly, I'm not one for the Sleeper look.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

WOW this turbo build thread didnt even last 24 hours! new record!

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Southy wrote:
WOW this turbo build thread didnt even last 24 hours! new record!

Haha! shuddup southy... It wasn't a turbo build thread anywayz. I was just getting ideas.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
Dansedgli wrote:
Make it quiet.

Haha... yeh that's helpful... What's the point in having a turbo if you can't show it off! Sadly, I'm not one for the Sleeper look.

So you do want the turbo for wanky ricer reasons.

Someone picked you up on that before didnt they? :roll:

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

Sleeper look FTW! nothing more satisying that slaughtering a 5.0l with a grandpa looking falcon :evil:

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next