Fordmods Logo

So I want to turbo my falcon but I've got more questions... 

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: So I want to turbo my falcon but I've got more questions...
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

Hey Guys,

I know there are a million threads on DIY turboing and I'm pretty sure I've read just about all of them. Chef's Sticky is really helpful as far as installing it goes.

I've got a EF Futura with 280k on the clock. I'm not a dreamer like a lot of people on these forums and I'm fully aware of the difficulty and cost of undertaking a job like this. That's why I want to have every single one of my questions answered by the experts and by people who have done this before.

I'm hoping to have $5k saved by the end of this year. I'm not even gonna' think about starting the install until after year 12 exams. My aim is to have a reliable 180-200rwkw with room for improvements later on.

I've been thinking for a while and have come up with 6 questions I want specific answers to. I know most of these have been answered in some way or form previously but I always like to get an answer for myself.

1) For the base turbo kit I'm looking at either the SNORT Stage 3 kit http://www.snortperformance.com/ford_fa ... o_kits.htm or the very slightly cheaper KKK600R kit off of eBay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-RELEASE-FORD ... dZViewItem. The only real difference I can see between the two of them is the turbo itself. Which is better?

2) A lot of people are running the Wolf 3D EMS. Is this the best deal for an aftermarket ECU for an i6?

3) What size injectors would need to be fitted?

4) What brand of rising rate fuel reg. would people recommend?

3) How would my current motor stand up to 200rwkw? Would I need to start looking at rebuilding the bottom end?

4) Would it be better to do the build on my current motor in the car or should I do a purpose built turbo motor outside the car and then do a swap when finished?

5) My current auto trans will hold up to 200rwkw alright won't it? At least until I save more money to get a new one. I have absolutely no idea when it comes to transmissions, diff ratios or any of that stuff so any info there would be fantastic.

6) What other modifications need to be done to the car in order to make the car road registerable after turboing, apart from engineering the turbo install itself?

I am hoping to learn all I can so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Sam.

Post subject: Re: So I want to turbo my falcon but I've got more questions
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
Hey Guys,

I know there are a million threads on DIY turboing and I'm pretty sure I've read just about all of them. Chef's Sticky is really helpful as far as installing it goes.

I've got a EF Futura with 280k on the clock. I'm not a dreamer like a lot of people on these forums and I'm fully aware of the difficulty and cost of undertaking a job like this. That's why I want to have every single one of my questions answered by the experts and by people who have done this before.

I'm hoping to have $5k saved by the end of this year. I'm not even gonna' think about starting the install until after year 12 exams. My aim is to have a reliable 180-200rwkw with room for improvements later on.

I've been thinking for a while and have come up with 6 questions I want specific answers to. I know most of these have been answered in some way or form previously but I always like to get an answer for myself.

1) For the base turbo kit I'm looking at either the SNORT Stage 3 kit http://www.snortperformance.com/ford_fa ... o_kits.htm or the very slightly cheaper KKK600R kit off of eBay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-RELEASE-FORD ... dZViewItem. The only real difference I can see between the two of them is the turbo itself. Which is better?

2) A lot of people are running the Wolf 3D EMS. Is this the best deal for an aftermarket ECU for an i6?

3) What size injectors would need to be fitted?

4) What brand of rising rate fuel reg. would people recommend?

3) How would my current motor stand up to 200rwkw? Would I need to start looking at rebuilding the bottom end?

4) Would it be better to do the build on my current motor in the car or should I do a purpose built turbo motor outside the car and then do a swap when finished?

5) My current auto trans will hold up to 200rwkw alright won't it? At least until I save more money to get a new one. I have absolutely no idea when it comes to transmissions, diff ratios or any of that stuff so any info there would be fantastic.

6) What other modifications need to be done to the car in order to make the car road registerable after turboing, apart from engineering the turbo install itself?

I am hoping to learn all I can so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Sam.

1) dont know alot about snort stuff

2) imo the ems 8860 is best bang for buk

3) just get some green top bosch 42lb's

4) turbo smart 1:1, sard are good but they are not 1:1

3) bottom end will be fine

4) dont bother

5) drive line will be fine just get a electronic shift kit to up the line pressure on tranny

6) not sure

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks for the response. I've read your thread. Love the car. I know how much you spent but do you reckon a low boost setup like what I'm wanting can be done with $5k?

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

nah. not for $5k.

turbo kit from snort is $4000
Aftermarket ECU (thinking the wolf or similar) is approx $2000 (Correct me if i'm wrong)

so you are already past that $5k limit.

then you need: injectors, inter cooler, fuel reg, TUNING!

and a dozen other things that i didnt mention. I highly doubt you'll come even close to $5k.

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

nicco wrote:
nah. not for $5k.

turbo kit from snort is $4000
Aftermarket ECU (thinking the wolf or similar) is approx $2000 (Correct me if i'm wrong)

so you are already past that $5k limit.

then you need: injectors, inter cooler, fuel reg, TUNING!

and a dozen other things that i didnt mention. I highly doubt you'll come even close to $5k.

Hm.. so maybe $6k? I've seen people do it for $5k and under. I just gotta start bargain hunting now :D Second hand bits and pieces as well as parts that people never got around to fitting come up for sale every now and then. I just gotta keep an eye out

Both kits mentioned above come with intercooler. So, from what I can gather, this is what I'd need for what I want...
- Base turbo kit - $4125 or $3625 depending on which kit I get
- Intercooler piping - $300
- Injectors - $100
- ECU - $1500
- Fuel Pump - $150
- Tuning - $$$$$$$

I know a guy who is majorly into the whole turbo scene so hopefully will get some help/tuning from him.

So if everything fits together perfectly, which it just about never does, it should cost around $6175 with the SNORT kit or $5675 with the eBay kit.

I'm only aiming for a very simple, low boost setup at the moment so I could still maybe run the stock ECU for now and then upgrade to a Wolf or similar later.

People's thoughts?

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

just get a 6 psi capa supercharger kit.
They're in your price range. and the kits are complete - everything you needed (except the time and elbow grease to install it).
you'll still have a BOV so all your mates will be like wow (and probably think it's Turbo as they won't relise you can have a BOV on supercharger set ups).

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

What sort of power are people getting from the capa supercharger 6 psi kits?

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:21 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
Hm.. so maybe $6k? I've seen people do it for $5k and under. ?

People that do it for under 5 either have an engine that isnt going to last long, or they've done alot of the work themselves, or had parts lying around from previous projects.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
People's thoughts?

I think your lying when you say you have read nearly every thread on here after doing a search.

All of your questions have been answered several times.

To keep under $5k you will need to go an vortech 12:1 reg and not an aftermarket ECU. Run under 6psi and it should be fine.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
They're in your price range. and the kits are complete - everything you needed (except the time and elbow grease to install it).
you'll still have a BOV so all your mates will be like wow (and probably think it's Turbo as they won't relise you can have a BOV on supercharger set ups).

Yeh, I know all about the Capa kits. But I dunno, there's something about turbos that I love. Besides, I am wanting to do the work myself with my Dad.

Dansedgli wrote:
MoNGooSE wrote:
People's thoughts?

I think your lying when you say you have read nearly every thread on here after doing a search.

All of your questions have been answered several times.

To keep under $5k you will need to go an vortech 12:1 reg and not an aftermarket ECU. Run under 6psi and it should be fine.

I'm not lying buddy. I said up above that I know most of the questions i asked have been asked and answered numerous times. I just like to ask my specific questions and get my own answers.

I will be doing the majority of the work myself with my Dad. I'm just doing what everyone does, gathering information for myself and figuring out what I want to do.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

Yeh, I know all about the Capa kits. But I dunno, there's something about turbos that I love. Besides, I am wanting to do the work myself with my Dad.

Sounds more like you just want a turbo couse the rest of your mates probably talk them up re Skylines and WRX's, etc.
You do relise that a turbo is actually a form of supercharger right? The only basic difference is that a supercharger is belt (or chain) turned, but with a turbo this has been replaced with a wheel that's turned by the exhaust gases flowing. Very similar concepts, and as said turbos branched off from superchargers originally.

As for doing it yourself with your dad - even more reason for Capa - you get a big box arriving to your door, everything you need is in there and there's a nice easy to follow instruction manual for you to follow.

Anyways, your choice, don't bother me none what ever you do, or don't do...

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

first of all your gonna need more then $5000 ,i tryed to do mine on a budget and its now up to a total of about $8000,

snort kits mines been fine so far ,

after ALOT of stuffing around with the wolf id never run another again ,get the ems

get some ford motor sport green tops 42lb

imo dont need a fuel reg stock mines fine that that power range

bottom end with be fine ,head may need a freshen up

gearbox will be fine ,maybe put the s5 solinoid in it

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
MoNGooSE wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

Sounds more like you just want a turbo couse the rest of your mates probably talk them up re Skylines and WRX's, etc.
You do relise that a turbo is actually a form of supercharger right? The only basic difference is that a supercharger is belt (or chain) turned, but with a turbo this has been replaced with a wheel that's turned by the exhaust gases flowing. Very similar concepts, and as said turbos branched off from superchargers originally.

As for doing it yourself with your dad - even more reason for Capa - you get a big box arriving to your door, everything you need is in there and there's a nice easy to follow instruction manual for you to follow.

Anyways, your choice, don't bother me none what ever you do, or don't do...

Dude what's your problem? You really haven't helped at all. Just put me down for asking quesions. Not one of my mates knows a thing abot cars. They don't even know what a Skyline is let alone talk them up. I know wat a turbo is, i know wat a supercharger is, i know how they work and i know wat they do. But I am always wanting to learn more about everything. So please keep your smart a*** comments to yourself unless you have something genuinely constructive to say.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TURBO_GHIA wrote:
first of all your gonna need more then $5000 ,i tryed to do mine on a budget and its now up to a total of about $8000,

snort kits mines been fine so far ,

after ALOT of stuffing around with the wolf id never run another again ,get the ems

get some ford motor sport green tops 42lb

imo dont need a fuel reg stock mines fine that that power range

bottom end with be fine ,head may need a freshen up

gearbox will be fine ,maybe put the s5 solinoid in it

Thanks for the help. This is what I'm wanting to find out. I'm only in year 12 and not earning a hell of a lot so, before I even start looking at spending I want to know how much I need to save.

Is there much of a price difference with the Wolf and EMS?

My head's just been recond. recently so that should be alright.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Also, where do I look for things like injectors, fuel pumps, ECU's in SA?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next