stage 2 Vortec kit group buy $4,300 

Page 3 of 9 [ 129 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Great deal to be had there gents. Just a comment on price:

The powerdyne unit is actually slightly more expensive than the vortec unit. However, the price on CAPA's kits jumps significantly because of the extra bits you get with a vortec kit. I believe this includes an inline booster fuel pump and a set of larger fuel injectors and all the little bits an pieces associated with these...

Blow off valves will make a bit of noise on these setups guys. Very different to a turbo tho - dont expect any girlie squeals like you get from the small jap cars running big turbos.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: svo

VIC, Australia

well this is sounding very good then if there is enough time for me to get my money i am in for sure

black ba xr6 with sunroof = more hot chicks

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

just a question on the vortech's.

i know they need oil lines. oil return goes to the sump, where do the oil feed come from? and how difficult is it to drill the sump to mount the lines?

saying you only intend to run about 8psi, i guess the stock injectors will be fine etc. so if this kit is complete to run 8psi, just install it and away you go think its gettin tempting ;)

guess you could probably ad 200 bucks? to get someone to install oil lines if your not confident but should be able to do the rest yourself? then i guess engineering would be a good idea. rekon that could be done for 500? if the grand total for installed running and engineered was about 5k i think id have to take the deal... am i dreaming again? ;)

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Gaz wrote:
just a question on the vortech's.

i know they need oil lines. oil return goes to the sump, where do the oil feed come from? and how difficult is it to drill the sump to mount the lines?

Most people put a T Piece on the oil pressure sender and get the oil feed from there.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

is it hard to put the t joint in or is it a simple job?

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

ryansvo wrote:
is it hard to put the t joint in or is it a simple job?

The oil sender is in a tough place on the 4L, but other than that.. easy money.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

nice, sounds like one of those jobs that you know are easy but s**t you up the roof like changing the spark leads those things are in a hell to change lol

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

its easy if u remove your oil filter.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

cool thanx

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

so the s/c was rated to 20 psi would that need a intercooler? how much boost will it be able to run with just water injec and i understand that if you wont more then 9 psi you will need an aftermaket ecu or chip?

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

For anyone doing this, you should seriously consider looking at getting a Megasquirt to run the engine. For those looking for low boost, sure.. it'll all work ok... but if you can tune the engine to suit, it'll run a hell of a lot better!!

For those looking for more than just low boost, aftermarket ECU is a no brainer. Im sure pre-built megasquirt can be had for around $500, or $250-300 if you build it yourself.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Waggin wrote:
For anyone doing this, you should seriously consider looking at getting a Megasquirt to run the engine. For those looking for low boost, sure.. it'll all work ok... but if you can tune the engine to suit, it'll run a hell of a lot better!!

For those looking for more than just low boost, aftermarket ECU is a no brainer. Im sure pre-built megasquirt can be had for around $500, or $250-300 if you build it yourself.

yeh definently look at aftermarket engine management...if not mega squirt for the money the cheap interceptor/piggy back EMS are well worth the money.

UNIChip/EMS 8860 Haltechs etc can all be had from 1300 fitted and tuned up to round 1700/1800....but better to have one...better economy, more performance and gonna run more reliably with better tuning capabilities.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

if i went through with it, id only be looking at about 8psi. would probably just use what ever comes in the kit for starters seeing as it will probably hold up for awhile, then work on an intercooler install and propper tune down the line.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T

these kits sound awesome, i would like to ask a couple of things about supercharging..

1. for starters, to run a very basic setup (just the contents of the kit) would anything else need to be purchased in order to get it going??

2. any estimates on how much it should cost to get fitted?? as i am not keen on a diy install...

cheers.

300+rwkw HeadsexTuned XR6 Turbo Ute *NOW SOLD :(*
MK Triton with 31" muddies, 2" lift and 3" turbo back exhaust etc...

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairmont Turbo

QLD, Australia

hey guy's good to see there's plenty of interest in these kits, it's going to take me a while to answer all these questions.

4.9 EF furtura, As far as i've been told the powerdyne is the less expensive supercharger as it is also the very bottom of the range available. Reasons being it can only handle up to 9 psi and strictly no more on the falcon six compared to the vortecs 20psi.

Gaz, the oil lines are probably going to be the most difficult part of the puzzle as everything else just bolts up. The oil supply is derived from fitting a T-peice into the oil gallery which supplies the oil pressure sender. Braided oil line is then screwed into this T-peice fitting which then feeds the supercharger with engine oil. The sender is simply screwed back into the T-peice fitting so you still retain your pressure reading. As for the return to the sump, some prefere to remove the sump and weld a fitting onto the side of the block where as most will just drill a 10mm hole in the side of the sump and then carefully hammer a punch through the hole until it's big enough to take the fitting. All you do then is put some silastic around it. Make sure you put plenty of grease around the drill bit though to catch any swarf which may come off the drill bit. I've used this method on my turbo falcon and haven't had any dramas. I drained the oil and there was nothing floating in it so the grease trick works fine.

Ryansvo, the water injection isn't really the preffered route as it creates it's own problems so i doubt that snortperformance would consider using this. Intercooling is the way to do it and that can be added to the setup for a very modest price. As for aftermarket ecu over 9psi, yep definently recomended.

Waggin, a megasuirt is definently a good proposition as it will allow a better tune when using a little more boost. yeah sure the fuel regulator will look after things ok but as you said any addition to fueling is only going to help.

Mr Man, The kit will come with everything required for a turn key project. The only addition may become an intercooler if not already included in the kit to run decent boost. An 8psi setup in my mind should still be intercooled but we will see. As far as estimates on fitting goes it all depends where you wish to go, Jeoff from snortperformance is situated in woodonga which isn't all that far from yourself and has been known to fit turbo/supercharger kits for sweet bugger all. I'd imagine that a first time fitter would require between half a day to a day to have it all done. Workshops charge between $60 and $110 p/hr depending on where you go.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 9  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next