Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: super or turbo XG
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

i've currently got a stock standard XG ute. with 2.5" catback

ive got $2400 to play with (i decided id prefer a bit more power compared to the 19" gtp rims i was gonna buy)

i was looking at a 5 to 6psi turbo kit (i dont want to have to change internals, injectors or fuel pump, but im willing to get a piggyback computer)

but recently a mate told me if i get a 6 to 7psi supercharger that it will just bolt on, and that the only thing i'll need is a piggyback computer.

i know what turbo kits consist of (parts wise), but what does a super kit consist of (parts wise)?

so if im spending the same amount of money on either system, then what should i go for? (im looking for ease of installation and maintainance, and im not really looking for too much power)

thanks, matt

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Lots of the answers have been posted before, but I just wanted to point out $2400 isnt even close to getting you a reliable forced induction setup unless you know exactly what your doing, buy lots of 2nd hand parts, and fabricate everything yourself.

But sounds to me like a supercharger is what your after. Check out CAPA's website, they have prices up for the kits and list the components. That will give you an idea anyway.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

i've looked at the Snort Stage 2 turbo - but i dont want to spend $500 on an aftermarket ECU - ive emailed Geoff from Snort regarding a 'custom kit' allowing me to run with low boost and standard ECU (with a piggyback ECU)

money isnt really an issue (because ill be selling my 2nd dirtbike for $3000 soon anyway).

i work at an engineering place that fabricates aluminium parts and such, so i might be able to go down that route.

my issue is that capa are charging $5400 for their lowest SC kit, but its still a 'tad' powerful for what im looking at.

oh and ill be fitting everything myself

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i wouldnt go turbo unless you have a fair bit more then $2500

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

your not going to save any money by lowering your power expectations. The base model capa kits really are the absolute minimum you need for boost. Ideally you would like an aftermarket ecu, bigger injectors, and upgraded fuel pump before putting any forced induction setup.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yeah ok. thanks for that info.

how about the Snort stage 2 kit? its around $2500 (minus intercooler piping & exhaust/wastegate connection)

what would be the best suited (not top) injectors be and cost?

same with fuel pump

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Just out of curiosity, if you have a BF Typhoon and an XG ute, around $5000 to spend and you want to go faster, why not put the money into the Typhoon? $5000 will get you a lot further on a car that already has the basic forced induction setup in place rather then starting from scratch..

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

the F6 is the parents. im not touching the F6 until is out of warranty (for warranty reasons..duh)

i, using the XG as a 'test mule' for mods, so i get some experience before i start on a more expensive ute (buying it mid 2007). a ED 4.0L engine costs $400, a barra240 costs quite a bit more

im not going to spend $5000 on the turbo, im looking at the Snort Stage 2 kit, i will use my existing 2.5" catback system (for now), i can get the stainless steel (for intercooler) through work.

my main concern is the ecu. i dont want to have to get an aftermarket one, thus why i want to run low boost

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:46 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Tocchi wrote:

my main concern is the ecu. i dont want to have to get an aftermarket one, thus why i want to run low boost

Mate, from what ive read and learnt, what you want to do is possible. The only problem though is reliability issues.

I am going down the turbo path on my car (EL futura) and the first thing I buy (well the second cause i already got a snort manifold) is to get an aftermarket ecu. I started of like you, thought id be safe running low boost etc, but reliability is the main issue for me - so aftermarket ecu it is.

Check out the guide in the ecu and fuel forum. This is really helpfull.

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:54 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Tocchi wrote:
my issue is that capa are charging $5400 for their lowest SC kit, but its still a 'tad' powerful for what im looking at.

What sort of power levels are you after?
CAPA powerdyne kit really is the best option for you, has everything you would need.
Literally follow the instructions and put it all together.
A Snort kit isn't really a complete kit.
Running boost on stock ECU is some sort of holy grail for alot of people.
Alot of people do it... 6 months later these same people either sell there turbo 'kit', sell the car, or put the car off the road while they get a new motor, and a proper EMS.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

xf_xr6 wrote:
Tocchi wrote:

Mate, from what ive read and learnt, what you want to do is possible. The only problem though is reliability issues.

I am going down the turbo path on my car (EL futura) and the first thing I buy (well the second cause i already got a snort manifold) is to get an aftermarket ecu. I started of like you, thought id be safe running low boost etc, but reliability is the main issue for me - so aftermarket ecu it is.

Check out the guide in the ecu and fuel forum. This is really helpfull.

yeah thanks for that info, today i was thinking about it, and ive decided why go half assed.

lets assume im running 9psi max
are there any decent aftermarket ecu's for sub $400?
how much would a bigger fuel pump & injectors set me back?

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

there is a wolf3d for sale on fordforums for 600.

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

eed-250 wrote:
there is a wolf3d for sale on fordforums for 600.

interesting. i have a mate who's said he'd sell me his old Wolf3d (from his rx7) for $400. great bargrain. would it be ok for a falcon?

now some important questions:
would standard 4 sp auto cope with 9psi?
would a diff (2.92) cope?
providing they are in better than average condition

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

Tocchi wrote:
are there any decent aftermarket ecu's for sub $400?
how much would a bigger fuel pump & injectors set me back?

mmmmmmm, that question alone tells me you shouldnt be playing with foced induction.....

as for how much would a bigger fuel pump and injectors set you back?? id say how bout you look at all the info already posted on these forums before you ask all these questions, the forums have a search engine...

if you want a ecu for less than $400, then forget the cost of bigger injctors and pump, cos a bosch 044 pump will cost you $320 and injectors $600

it gets annying, when everyday someones asks, "can i run boost with a std ecu?" "will std injectors be big enough?" "how much power will a std fuel pump flow?" "what other things do i need with a snort kit?" "will my engine be ok on 5psi?" "what sort of cost to turbo my falcon?" "has anyone tried a snort kit?" "which rising rate reg to run 10psi?" "i just want a low boost 5psi setup, will my ecu be ok, will i need bigger injectors??"

ALL of these sort of questions have been covered NUMEROUS times...

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

"will my diff be ok?" "how much power will a std 4spd handle?" "will a std 4pd handle 8psi???"

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next