Fordmods Logo

supercharging i6 

Page 3 of 8 [ 110 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Powerdyne are just little better than leaf blowers...
Get a decent Vortech or Pro-charger....
A 9.2 compression AU with T04Z spools as quick as you want...There are so many variables...They also have power through WHOLE rev range as do the better blowers...
Belts are an issue with Powerdyne..Check U.S prices and you'll see how much CAPA are ripping you off !!!
There's heaps of chargers for sale on http://www.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=345
HTH....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

Tocchi wrote:
mark $2000 is a tad high for the FMIC piping and such.
cost a few hundred in materials (3" stainless) ... so cant really say $1700 in welding :P

EF ECTIV paid $2700 for his thru' BPT ...f**k good job though.

As I said earlier ...most of us mere mortals don't have the 'Macgyver' touch like you do ...hence we pay more :P

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:32 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

reading this thread , one thing needs sorting
1. turbo - has to spool up to make pressure, low end not good power in the upper rev range
2. belt driven turbo, powerdynne vortec ect - spins with engine revs but the impellor design is not positive displasment so also needs revs in the upper end to make pressure.
3. roots/screw rotor supercharger - moves a given amount of air for every revolution eg. m90 eaton 90cid / 1.4l for one rotation instant boost the moment you open the throtle (throtle closed no air flow no boost)

i get max boost the moment i stab the throtle eg. taking off from standing start approx 1000 rpm

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Have you consider Raptor sc? I'm thinking of talking to them if we can get a group buy. the more the numbers the bigger the discount....

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6 (Formally PYROAY)

WA, Australia

xavier,
Ur exhaust manifold is included in the kit... so all u have to do is get a dump pipe fabd up. still for roughly $500 - $600 u could get a dump pipe made and oil and water lines made.
its more the compressing of the air that creates heat.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

ACT, Australia

Slick wrote:
Have you consider Raptor sc? I'm thinking of talking to them if we can get a group buy. the more the numbers the bigger the discount....

Wouldn't mind looking into it.

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
--------------------------------------
Pacemaker 4499's, Hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Lows all 'round, Monroe's in the front, GSR's in the rear
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's
30mm + 22mm adjustable sway bars.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Airved wrote:
Slick wrote:

Wouldn't mind looking into it.
What I was thinking of, we gather as much people as possible then submit the order to raptor using your forum name as reference. the thing is, you deposit your money into their business account & report back here as PAID next to your username. that way I won't be liable for any screw-ups! lol

We'll try & work out a reasonble discount for a decent group buy eg: 5 order = 8% discount, 10 orders = 12% discount or more.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

xfpaul wrote:
reading this thread , one thing needs sorting
1. turbo - has to spool up to make pressure, low end not good power in the upper rev range
2. belt driven turbo, powerdynne vortec ect - spins with engine revs but the impellor design is not positive displasment so also needs revs in the upper end to make pressure.
3. roots/screw rotor supercharger - moves a given amount of air for every revolution eg. m90 eaton 90cid / 1.4l for one rotation instant boost the moment you open the throtle (throtle closed no air flow no boost)

i get max boost the moment i stab the throtle eg. taking off from standing start approx 1000 rpm

Number 1 one your list there now-a-days is complete crap. It comes down to sizing of the turbo where the power is. With a mild cam, and a GT35/40R I was making boost on the line. Or if I was rolling I could see around 6-8psi at 1800rpm if I had the foot down about 1/4. Considering you'de need an M112 to make the kind of power a 35/40 can make and considering the cost difference between the head units, I'de say turbo is both cheaper and more effective than PD blowers for the same power output. No doubting that you can have a centri supercharger for a little less than either PD or Turbo, but you only make peak boost at peak revs. In some cases this is good (where you have traction problems or big displacement) but in a street car you want big torque everywhere.

Number 3 is also a little misleading, in that the supercharger is STILL turning and robbing crank power with the throttle closed, it also makes a fair bit of heat. Bypass valves generally help in this area but the supercharger is still using power directly from the crank while your idling, cruising etc.

Intercooling becomes more difficult due to everything being on the intake side, or water/air intercooling needs to be used which takes up space we don't really have on a falcon on the intake side of the 6. Turbo on the other hand creates higher exhaust backpressure at the valve, meaning cam timing needs to be more conservative to stop reversion, however a turbocharger is load dependent, ie if you are making more exhaust gases then it makes boost. If its not under load then back pressure is not significantly raised meaning it doesn't parasitically load the engine as much as the supercharger.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Snort and Raptor are developing water-air intercooling set-ups that are basically a custom intake plenum with an in-built water cooled exchanger core ...needs a 5L water tank to supply it.

I have pics of the prototypes.

Dunno about Turbo, but I can see that these could be quite effective on a supercharger set-up, along with the use of a CBF.

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: el falcon

WA, Australia

i thought water- air coolers were only used on like drag cars n that u have to top up an overflow tank with water and ice b4 use each time?

only 2 things should come in a 2 litre, milk and juice

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

With my 5L the Raptor is always pushing enough air to overcome this LOSS associated with turning it, it has more push off the line but its mid range and top end are just awsome.

Any way its crap that ppl say centris are crap for street use as when you need to over take let me tell you, you will have more than enough power to get up and go. Its true that you can get away with out a proper ecu tune on the turbo but id doubt as to running anymore than 6 psi intercooled.

Link

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread ... ge=3&pp=25

Thats Wes with the Eb v8 turbo from street fords dvd.

A higher stall converter will fix its slow leaving the line ness, for me it was alot easier to fab up my brackets from scratch and out source all the little bits such as fuel pump ect.

Either way the car will be quicker.

Brad

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Raptor_xr8, there are people here that will argue this to death. theres no difference between holden & ford. the Holden nut will always say they're better because they can make more boost. I combare turbo's as reliable as holdens. fast for a short period of time before they f**k up.....
theres no difference between the two when it comes to parasitic lost. one looses power due to exhaust flow restriction, the other through direct drive.
I ask one question. which setup has broken the quarter mile more then the other?... ay ay!

SUPERCHARGER!!!!!!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

:wink:

Brad

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

In general, centrifugal superchargers will make more power (all other conditions being equal) than a PD supercharger, with less heat generated.

I was speaking to a guy over here today who has a Raptor V on his 3.8L V6 VX Commo..

He absolutely loves it, he's making 235 rwkw.

He hasn't noticed any parasitic losses whatsoever, and his car is perfectly streetable, with boost easing in at around 3000rpm and pulling smoothly all the way to redline.

The Raptor also emits a nice whine at idle that increases with rpm.

The Raptor V chucks in about 9 psi in standard kit form, which is perfectly safe for most stock motors ...the VX dude is going for 13 psi with a pulley change and some moderate engine work.

I'm sure Brad can post a video link to his XR8, while I dig up the video of the VX.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

True, what most people don't realise is the mass lost they're referring to is the older bulky roots & twin-screw blower. the more modern belt driven turbo{centrifugal} is a free spinner. it requires less energy to drive it, making them more efficient due to their design & lighter weight.
Not to long now before you'll see centri generating boost up to 20psi or more. I also read through raptors home page that the raptor "R" is due out which is good for 17psi. that stage would see you forking out on some heavy engine internals & blueprint work, gearbox & drive line.

man, I'll be more then happy with a straight forward bolt on 9psi centri kit that would only take you 1 to 2 hours to install & flash tune, then f@rt assing around with a turbo, roots or twinscrew charger.

Pakrat wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 8  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next