Page 4 of 5 [ 74 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: SWC's Supercharger Project
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Update:

I spent much of yesterday afternoon resetting the position of the tensioner, bigger pain in the butt than I thought it would be. My first attempt, I set the tensioner roughly in the position of the Barra location. Problem with this is the timing mark for the Barra is further to the right (looking from the front) than the AU timing mark. The belt fouled on the spring section of the tensioner and when I rotated it, the belt rubbed on the timing tab (I used the EF car I have for the mockup to test this). I relocated it further to the left and then it rubbed on the AC Pulley AAAAAAHHHHH. 3rd attempt got it spot on. This chewed up 5 hours of my afternoon.

I got the idler pully back from Daz this morning, thanks for your efforts on such short notice, ducked into CMS with the front dress plate and did some measurements. Rushed home and set about mounting the Idler Mount. As you can see from the below pics, I have slotted the mount bolts and also fitted an adjustment bolt to get further tension if needed.
Attachment:
Front Dress 2.jpg
Front Dress 2.jpg [ 324.43 KiB | Viewed 379 times ]

All completed and a coat of engine black and off to CMS. Fitted up the front dress, set the idler pulley at it's less adjusted point and fitted the belt. Belt went on nice. Fired her up and NO BELT SLIP. Gave her a few taps on the throttle and all was good. Every thing working as it should. Tensioner is on tension by about 5mm so I will adjust the idler to give a bit more tension but only to allow for a bit of belt stretch which should be OK as the belt is from Gates.
Attachment:
New front Dress Installed Top Front.jpg
New front Dress Installed Top Front.jpg [ 224.51 KiB | Viewed 381 times ]

Attachment:
New front Dress Installed Top Left.jpg
New front Dress Installed Top Left.jpg [ 244.28 KiB | Viewed 364 times ]

Attachment:
New front Dress Installed Top Right.jpg
New front Dress Installed Top Right.jpg [ 238.14 KiB | Viewed 379 times ]

VERY HAPPY MAN :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Refitted the Thermos and now all that is need is a Transmission flush, New S5 (Pissing off the adjustable Comanhore S5)(Shifts will be set as normal when on economy and set for hard shifts when on Power. This is all through the SCT Chip) and fit the new Auto pan, which has a temp sensor in it.

Joe will be doing the tune on Thursday as he has 2 FG's in with cam changes as well as tunes. He said he may get a chance tomorrow but definatly Thursday as Friday and Saturday are out due to Easter.

This puts me about a week behind where I expected but with the front dress issues and a couple of things I am still very happy.

Last edited by SWC on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:
SWC wrote:
Just before I go on further with this project I would like thank a few people;

DA22LE (Dazfab) for all the welding, sump, Intake Piping mounts etc, and a bit of machining, some of it at short notice and he continues today to assist.

Shane, for one top motor at a great price.

Joe and the crew at CMS, Jase and Shane, for all their help and advice as well as putting up with me for the last few months working on the motor. Getting the old engine out and the new one in. Special thanks for Joe for me taking up space in his workshop over the last week and it's still there :oops: .

CMS for the stage 3 head and 2a cam.

Guys at ENZED at Ingleburn for work on piping etc and some of my odd requests.

CBC Bearings at Campbelltown

Bursons at Campbelltown

Some of the guys on Fordmods who helped with a few things, Benj especially.

And a special thanks to my wife who has put up with me disappearing into the shed all of a sudden when an idea popped into my head and for all patience she has show over this time.

Nice but i am curious Dazfab i thought you where the main man for custom welding and fabrication's Paul ?

May i ask a personal question

you can PM me the answer how much is this costing all up the charger / intake manifold set up etc

I have already got a similar fuel set up in my car at the moment so i am future proof i just like this setup i know its not a ordinary bolt on simple setup though

Daz does all my aluminium welding for me. I set it up and he sticks it together.

His workmanship is brilliant and second to none. He has the gear to do the work as well as the skills.

If you have access to the best, use them. :D. Also why CMS did my headwork and cam and why Joe will be doing the tuning.

Thank you Paul for your kind words. It is an absolute pleasure to be of some assistance in this project......
I remember back to the first cruise/meeting I attended, and you made me feel welcome, even with a 4by....lol....Look at us now......fkn awesome.....hehehe....

Cheers

Daz

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Good to see you are kicking goals with YOUR project DOC.
It actually makes me very happy to see that you are finally getting something done for yourself instead of every other prick (I myself have been a lucky receipient of Pauls talents when he really had his own s**t to do and its much appreciated).

Im telling ya but the 5.0 is still superior!

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
You cant knock a Jew for trying though. When you take the old engine out could you save the oil for my next oil change?

Old Motor went to the scrap last Thursday, only thing kept was the Alternator (For Sale, 110amp), starter motor (For Sale), Head & BBM.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
When do you go back to work? Seeing your about a week out from your expected time will you still have time to enjoy her before you return to work is what Im getting at.

I go back Tuesady. Can't do tooooo much enjoyment as the Motor has around 1,000km on it. It has run in oil in it now, so will be a bit gentle for a while, won't take long as I rack up around 450 + km per week.

DA22LE wrote:
[Thank you Paul for your kind words. It is an absolute pleasure to be of some assistance in this project......
I remember back to the first cruise/meeting I attended, and you made me feel welcome, even with a 4by....lol....Look at us now......fkn awesome.....hehehe....
Cheers
Daz

Those words were well deserved Daz. You have been there when I need you, even when they were some odd projects.

I remember that night, Great Truck, Great Bloke, and your have proved this time after time to me and many others..

Yes we get better as time goes on, just like a good wine. :D

EF_wanabe wrote:
But i just dont under stand why the car is at CMS etc when Paul has the skills to do it all , or is it more of a "friends get together" as a customer
im just baffled

Car is at CMS becuase that is where I assembled the motor and also I don't really have the area to do an Engine change. Also when you do what i have done it is nice to be at the place where it will be tuned, I don't want to drive this untuned. It not just a case of sticking in the motor and going for a drive.

And yes, being at CMS is a friends get together, these guys are great people and good friends, also they are the best in the bussiness as far as i am concerned.

Matt_jew wrote:
It actually makes me very happy to see that you are finally getting something done for yourself instead of every other prick (I myself have been a lucky receipient of Pauls talents when he really had his own s**t to do and its much appreciated).

I have always been happy to help others out as you know Matt and I will continue to do so where I can. But I must admit that it has been great to bring this project in for the checkered flag.

5.0 ppppppffffffftttt. You know my opinion of those boat anchours :D . I do suppose if you throw enough cash at them you can get them to keep up with a stock 4.0 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by SWC on Sat May 11, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Ahh i get you now makes perfect sense that is nice of Joe to let you use the workshop

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
79raven wrote:
When do you go back to work? Seeing your about a week out from your expected time will you still have time to enjoy her before you return to work is what Im getting at.

I go back Tuesady. Can't do tooooo much enjoyment as the Motor has around 1,000km on it. It has run in oil in it now, so will be a bit gentle for a while, won't take long as I rack up around 450 + km per week.

DA22LE wrote:
[Thank you Paul for your kind words. It is an absolute pleasure to be of some assistance in this project......
Cheers
Daz

Those words were well deserved Daz. You have been there when I need you, even when they were some odd projects.

I remember that night, Great Truck, Great Bloke, and your have proved this time after time to me and many others..

Yes we get better as time goes on, just like a good wine. :D

EF_wanabe wrote:
But i just dont under stand why the car is at CMS etc when Paul has the skills to do it all , or is it more of a "friends get together" as a customer
im just baffled

Car is at CMS becuase that is where I assembled the motor and also I don't really have the area to do an Engine change. Also when you do what i have done it is nice to be at the place where it will be tuned, I don't want to drive this untuned. Bottom end alone is worth $4500.00 +, Head & Cam $1800.00, add the rest together as well as a few years work and research and you see why it is where it is. It not just a case of sticking in the motor and going for a drive.

And yes, being at CMS is a friends get together, these guys are great people and good friends, also they are the best in the bussiness as far as i am concerned.

Matt_jew wrote:

I have always been happy to help others out as you know Matt and I will continue to do so where I can. But I must admit that it has been great to bring this project in for the checkered flag.

5.0 ppppppffffffftttt. You know my opinion of those boat anchours :D . I do suppose if you throw enough cash at them you can get them to keep up with a stock 4.0 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Has to be the most contentious issue on FM.....my 5.0L is better cause it's bigger than your 4.0L...
hahaha.....

If it was possible to have a 5L I6 vs a 5.0L V8.....who would win......the 6 of course......end argument!!!

start b1tch f1ght....lol.....

Speaking of whine........where is it??......oh that's right....it's Matts ute....lol......

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:17 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

UPDATE
Ok, so after almost 12 months since my last update on this build, here goes.

Well got the car running and had it tuned, Pulled around the 185RwKw mark with some decent Nm at the rear. Issue was she had a rough idle and wouldn't go into closed loop. Ran her home and a few days later we put her back on the Dyno to try and smooth the tune.

Still had trouble with the idle and going into closed loop. Vac at idle was low and lifters were still noisy. b**ch was also slipping between 2nd and 3rd so Joe adjusted the pressures a bit and there was some improvement. Using the SCT Eliminator chip at this point. Best we pulled on the Dyno was 195RwKw with 520nm at the rear. Not overly happy with the power but considering the torque was in at around the 1700 rpm mark, this put a smile on my face.

We also noted that the 2.5" exhaust was causing restriction and also was popping out the exhaust. I was running a regrind there were 2 x factory shims fitted.

Ford gives a spec of 450mm or Mercury at stock idle in neutral at sea level. This is 17.7" of Mercury or 9psi of vacuum.

Pulling around 15 inches of vac at idle.

Continued to play with the tune but no great improvements. By now we were getting towards end of April. Then major issue, oil pressure drop, alarm would go off at idle. s**t :cry: :x . Checked the oil pressure with an external gauge and seemed ok, pressure up on the internal gauge. OK, this went on over a couple of days. Pressure would be good and then would drop all of a sudden at idle. Must be the oil sender, bloody new one as well when we fitted up the motor. Was about to do the oil sender when we decided to check the pressure with manual gauge before we fitted it and Jase notes an odd noise at 2000rpm. This rpm because factory spec stated 280kpa (40psi) of oil pressure at 2000rpm when hot. Closer examination and it souded like we had bottom end noise. Double s**t and f**k :x :x :x . Car parked up and time for the engine out.

Last edited by SWC on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:49 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Engine Tear Down and Results
Shane, Brett and I pulled the engine the next day and stripped it down.

Oil didn't look good and had a nice glitter to it....NOT. :(

Off came the sump and pulled the main caps, Centre main bearing was shot. Pulled the rod caps and No6 rod bearing had spun. Pulled the poil pump and pulled it apart, it was shot, full of sparkly metal. Not Happy Jan......... to say the least.

Scratch one motor and back to the drawing board. Shane was not happy as he had sold me the motor, told him not to worry as he sold it to me in good faith and that was how I bought it. s**t happens. To this day we are still not sure as to what caused the failure but that is life.

Time to source a new block. And a fill in Car.

Ended up getting an NA Fairlane with month rego for a good price, christened the Royal Barge. Great for running over speed humps... :D :D . No f**k heater and I was not spending any money on it. It got 1 2nd hand tyre, 1 cup holder and a steering wheel cover. Drivers side wiper blade was stuffed, passenger side swapped over :D . To be fair to the Barge, with the way I treated it, no love at all, it never let me down.

Back to the new engine. Who's bright idea was it to make AU engines popular, it would have been easier to source a Barra than a good AU block.

After getting screwed by a block on Ebay who was bidding for himself on his own motor (Got the prick banned) I was able to source a complete, allegedly good, long motor from Casual Wreckers at Yennora for $200 delivered to CMS. They wanted $450 to start with but Shane was a help with that and we got it for the $200.

Motor arrived a couple of days later and we began the strip down. Good running engine .... mmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder. When we took the rocker cover off it looked like tar in the head, sump was not much better. This is not looking good. Pulled the head and bores looked good, still had cross hatching from factory. We were only interested in the Block, crank and oil pump so ahead with the strip down. Pulled the main caps and bearings looked good, pulled the pistons and rod bearing were in good nick as well. Pulled out the crank and it looked perfect. Pulled the Oil Pump and it was in excellent condition as well. Salvaged the block, crank and oil Pump, also kept the Aux Shaft and the rest went to scrap.

OK, what were we going to do with the engine? We decided to take it out 20thou and deck the block as well. Crank was checked and head was to be skimmed to ensure every thing was flat. Thought about using the ACL pistons and original AU Rods from the old motor and then said f**k it, lets go all out.

Last edited by SWC on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:04 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

New Engine.

What we decided to do with the new engine was;

1) AU Block
2) Block Bored out 20thou.
3) Deck the block to ensure flat surface.
4) Standard Crank
5) JE BA Turbo Pistons.
6) F6 BF Rods.
7) Chrome rings
8) King Bearings

Head was to remain the CMS stage 3 with the 2 cam.

Block, Crank, Head and Timing case were sent out for machining. Thanks to Dan for your help in this area. Got all the maching done for one excellent price.

Thanks to Shane for the F6 Rods

Pistons, Rings, Bearings and gaskets were sourced from Precision International at Silverwater, again at an excellent price :wink: , thanks to guys there, and they were to prove to be of great help later on as well.

As I had the slipping in the BTR it was decided to do a rebuild on that as well and it was sent out to be beefed up with some nice internals donated from a Turbo box and a few other nice bits. This turned out to take a bit longer than expected due to the builder having some health problems as well as a couple of other issues. A small 2500 stall convertor was also ordered.

I also decided if I was spending all this then why use an old oil pump, so a new one was sourced as well as a water pump again from Precision International.

Last edited by SWC on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Just a small rebuild and a tidy up.........................
Paul Im thinking you and I have been drinking the same tap water.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Odd Jobs
During the time waiting to build the engine and get the box done, I had the car tilt trayed back home where I did some additional work.

Replaced the King Super Low springs with Lovells, replaced the front struts etc. Alos gave the engine bay a good clean and scrub. Modified the Trans cooler pipes to bypass the radiator, much easier job with the engine out. stripped out the Engine oil cooler and remote filter and made sure all that was cleaned out.

Other major thing that I did was fit up the wiring for the gauges, Engine oil Temp, Trans Oil Temp, Electronic boost gauge, Fuel Pressure Gauge and Innovate AFR unit. All the wiring was fitted into the existing loom and wired in. Gauge power was set up through a Relay that activated when the ignition is on reds. Innovate was also wired up through a relay to come on the same way. the 5 gauge cluster was set up under the radio in the consol, Blue digital gauges, very pleased with the was it turned out and considering that wiring is not one of my better skills, all worked well.

As the 2.5" cat back was not up to the task of handling the gases with the blower, a set of Pacies were sourced and the flange cut back to 3" and an additional O2 bung fitted for the Innovate AFR sensor. Exhaust would be replace with a 3" system all the way through with a 200 cell 3" Cat.

By the time we organised everything and got the box back, time was getting on, August. Rego was running out on the Fairlane so it was time to get it assembled. When we checked the Torque Convertor on the box we found that it was an EF/EL Convertor and as the box was originally an EB/ED thos was going to be an issue. The EF/EL convertors actually go into the box a little deeper and can cause damage inside, so back she went and an EB convertor was sent over. This was also checked against the crank to make sure she would slip on OK. I have had issues before trying to fit an EL convertor onto an AU Block but all was good with this one.

Bolted all the engine together, mounted the charger and associated gear and dropped her in, box bolted up and we fired her up. The Supercharger had the actuator removed and a open bypass pipe fitted so she wouldn't come on boost. Basicly just NA.

All good and fired up nicely except for lifter noise. :x :x

Last edited by SWC on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ok car starts and runs, time for an exhaust. Organised to go to Hume Mufflers around the corner. Chris of Hume Mufflers hooked up everything. Flanged the cat, one centre muffler and a rear resonator flanged at the muffler and after the diff. Chris did a top job, not overly loud but with a good note.

Back to the shop for a few small things like front bar and bonnet.

Last edited by SWC on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:

I can strip down and run through the ultrasonic cleaner a set of 12 HLA's for you Paul if you like.

Did this to a set before fitting to BenJ's soon to be wagon - after warming up, quietest lifters I've ever heard in a SOHC falcon.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
SWC wrote:

I can strip down and run through the ultrasonic cleaner a set of 12 HLA's for you Paul if you like.

Did this to a set before fitting to BenJ's soon to be wagon - after warming up, quietest lifters I've ever heard in a SOHC falcon.

The saga in incomplete yet my friend. This was in September, there is more to come to this story.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next