Fordmods Logo

The TUFED6 story- ED Falcon Turbo 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: The TUFED6 story- ED Falcon Turbo
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thought I would post up some info on my car to get some postcount so I can sell some stuff. I've been a member of this site for a fair while now, but have never posted. Below is pretty much a cut&paste from AFF, I figure there are probably some people on here that don't bother with AFF.

The car was put together a few years ago now with the help of a couple of mates who were trying to get a performance car business off the ground - MRD Performance. When we first were thinking about turboing my ED we really only had something basic in mind, but it all kind of snowballed and the end result is a fairly mental street car.

Build pictures

Getting a tune at Maztech

Shootout mode

As you can see, it makes about 460kw at the wheels on pump fuel (Optimax). I was really happy with the power as it still had excellent throttle response and we had some problems on the day that meant that it still had more potential. It runs 21psi max boost, and it comes on pretty strong from about 2500 RPM. I've never felt a car that accelerates like this one, it feels like your eyeballs are being pushed back in your head. At the time it was the most powerful E-series in the country. Since then Adrian Vella's EL has made 480rwkw, making it #1.

All of the stuff above was done probably 2 years ago now. Now that it was tuned, the real test of how tough the car is, is the quarter mile. Dyno sheets are one thing, but the quarter mile doesn't lie. Over the next few months I talked to a lot of people and was initially going to put a Powerglide in it, but for a few reasons; streetability, and at the time availability of second hand cores, I waited a long time for a good powerglide core to surface and in the end gave up and went for a Ford C9. The auto was put together by Paul Keas. It has all the good stuff and is rated at 700HP or so. Since I got the auto Paul has been experimenting with transbrakes in Tim Jetsons EA, and I'll probably be changing my valvebody to a transbraked one at some point.

Auto pics-

Due to work, I don't have heaps of time to work on the car, so its really only in the last 4-5 months that I put the C9 auto in, and all the related stuff. Once the auto was back in I was amazed at how it had transformed the car, if you plant the foot the engine will go straight to the meat of its torque curve and paint two black stripes on the road.

At that point I was all set to go and get it tuned again on some race gas, and really lean on it hard. As we were servicing the week before the dyno, we noticed that the turbo had an alarming amount of free play (in-out). We took it apart and it was pretty much stuffed. It had broken the thrust collar and the compressor wheel had started to chew into the compressor housing. Safe to say I was pretty disappointed in the people that I got it off, as they are a well known reputable business and sold me something that clearly wasn't up to the task, and then didn't want to know about it when it broke.

More time in the shed gathering dust, and now its being put back together with a new turbo. The oil & water lines are fairly different on this turbo, so are being made again.

New turbo-

This has been a long term project, I've bought a BA XR6 Turbo ute in the mean time, and have started a new project- an S13 Silvia. But the ED is getting close to being ready for some 1/4 mile action.

I'm probably going to change a few more things in the suspension to make it hook up a bit better. I calculated all the instant centres with Superlows and they were so messed up its not funny. So at the moment its sitting on Lows which should be much better for launching- ever seen a really low E-series launch?, the back actually rises rather than squats. Thats what happens when the instant centre is all messed up.

I've put some Koni adjustables in the back, and will probably get some 90/10's made up for the front before taking it up to Heathcote for some testing.

Other than that, future plans for the car include a new short motor- I've got an AU short sitting on an engine stand, and will add some forged rods & pistons to this with an aim to make about 600rwkw. Would also love to ditch the GLi spec interior and get an EF dash with some ED ghia seats, but thats not really a priority.

All of the fabrication work was done by MRD, there are no fancy parts in this car, it still uses Ford conrods. You can read all about the build and details in Street Ford issue #1.

ED Falcon Turbo 460rwkw, Street Fords Issue #1.

Last edited by TUFED6 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

good to see u posted all the info on here

this car is awsome, but that cooler is even better.

i have a few q's for u.

is that new turbo a t04z, what size housing?

what size diameter is that steam pipe on the manifold?

which model head is that?

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

Nice work here tufed!! looks all very professional and neat!! Hopefully when you go up to heathcote you can let a few on the site know cause they will prob be keen to see it run!! Looks like a bit of a monster!! Well congrats on all the work and hopefully your business is running well
Damien

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

fritzz wrote:
is that new turbo a t04z, what size housing?

what size diameter is that steam pipe on the manifold?

which model head is that?

New turbo is a plain bearing T72.

Manifold runners are 45mm from memory. I can't check at the moment as the car is off getting some new oil&water lines.

It's a pretty heavily ported EF head, standard size valves though.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited by TUFED6 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

dam thats a bit over 1.7 inches, i thourght they looked a bit bigger than the normal 1.25". they must work well with large runners

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Last edited by fritzz on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

it would be 1.5 id, i want to make a manifold from 1.5 steampipe, i think it would give less backpressure...

oh, and it is about time you started posting here john

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6t

NSW, Australia

I remember reading about this car in street fords, it was pretty much the reason i decided to turbo my old ea, that i never ended up completing. Awesome car though, bet its unreal to drive. Good luck with the quarter mile times.

Rides:
-Ba xr6t, wog cooler, K&N pod on custom intake, battery moved to other side, flash, custom cooler piping, presons auto, car pc, 19" lenso speed 6, going for 300rwkw
-FZR 250- run around bike

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

nice, looks real good, (I love reading turbo build). I though I ercognised the number plate, I've had this pic on my comp for over a year now. :)

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

out of interest, where did you get the tailshaft from
??

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:41 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA mk11 XR6T UTE ,v8 fairmont gh

WA, Australia

Fricken awesome!

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

hey have u got any details on engine mods done? like what rods, pistons, o-ringed etc etc. would be very helpful. also how much would a similar c9 box cost with adapters and everything to fit it? thanks heaps in advance

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

blownxr wrote:
out of interest, where did you get the tailshaft from
??

GJ Drivelines in Dandenong.

GRN-WGN wrote:
hey have u got any details on engine mods done? like what rods, pistons, o-ringed etc etc. would be very helpful. also how much would a similar c9 box cost with adapters and everything to fit it? thanks heaps in advance

Basic specs on the engine- ACL Race series kit, blueprinted, balanced, O-ringed, copper head gasket.

Ring keas up for current pricing on his 700HP C9's with a TCE converter and Torque-flite bellhousing. Then whatever extra for a decent trans cooler & aeroquip lines. I don't remember exactly what it all cost but don't expect much change from $5000.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6 (Formally PYROAY)

WA, Australia

wat is the stall speed of the converter? wat is ur diff ratio? im goin to be doing the same thing soon any pointers, thing to watch out for?

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

yer same questions as imprteta but also what does it rev at 100kmph and can u explain what its street drivability is like and anything else you can think of? i suppose they need an adaptor of some sort to fit aswell? any info at all would be extreemely helpful.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]