Fordmods Logo

too much freakin' boost 

Page 5 of 20 [ 292 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

2nd, 3rd squirt, on 14lb, this is how long it takes me to go from 60kmh - 170kmh

brad

(the pdf is actually an .avi, just download and rename it, right click on download and select save target as)

Attachments:
-86397486.pdf [1.83 MiB]
Downloaded 541 times

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nice result dude, great to see it working out for you. :)

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:22 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

holy crap

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairmont Turbo

QLD, Australia

Not to come across as a mean bastard but i wouldn't want to gas axe a hole in my $2,000 turbo just to control boost pressure. I run a much smaller A/R on my T04 (.74) and have coupled it to a single 40mm gate. It's held boost at seven pound since day dot. Obviously the manifold design wasn't the best on the gate side of things. I think if you put a 40mm hole in the side of any turbo manifold it should flow enough gas to control boost pressure.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

snortingboost wrote:
I think if you put a 40mm hole in the side of any turbo manifold it should flow enough gas to control boost pressure.

well, so did i at one stage, dont you think ive proven your theory wrong?? not just one, but two 1.5in holes and it still couldnt vent enough...

the very heart of the problem revolves around gas velocity and volume, you simply cant get high flowing gasses to turn a 90deg corner effienctly enough when you have a much easier path to take, through the turbo

snortingboost wrote:
i wouldn't want to gas axe a hole in my $2,000 turbo just to control boost pressure..

yea, good point, i should have pumped 30psi into it and blown the f*** out of my engine, that would work better..

if you pay good enough attention to high end street turbo systems, you will notice that a lot of the well prepared systems have the wastegate outlet cut into the side of the turbine housing...

plainly and simply, there is no more ideal spot to put it is there??? considering the gas flow is directly into the outlet pipe... so no change of direction for the gasses... ive proven it works 100% better than collector outlets

could you give details/pics of your setup?? im very interested to see cam specs, inlet design, throttle size, port work, exhaust manifold, cooler size, cooler plumbing size.... these are the factors that greatly affect how much exhaust gas can be produced by your system, and exhaust manifold (especially collector) will greatly affect gas velocity....

this is reflected in spool-up rpm/time, how soon can you get the .74 to4z on boost, when does it make positive pressure, and when does it hit max boost, and what is your max boost??

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Last edited by ebs_4l on Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

snortingboost wrote:
Not to come across as a mean bastard but i wouldn't want to gas axe a hole in my $2,000 turbo just to control boost pressure. I run a much smaller A/R on my T04 (.74) and have coupled it to a single 40mm gate. It's held boost at seven pound since day dot. Obviously the manifold design wasn't the best on the gate side of things. I think if you put a 40mm hole in the side of any turbo manifold it should flow enough gas to control boost pressure.

lol it has been proven a number of times that a 40mm hold in any desent flowing manifold does not work.

if u had a look at the pictures u will see that he was using 2, 1 1/2 pipes in the manifold and it didnot work.

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

lol u got there first

but well said ebs_4l.

and the most important thing in a turbo setup is controling boost, and u should do anything u can to make it right

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairmont Turbo

QLD, Australia

My setup comes directly inbetween the other six pipes and so shoots gas straight down. Your idea is the best way to control boost and i have seen it done on a skyline, but i just wouldn't wack a hole in the turbo for love nor money.

My turb comes straight into boost as soon as the pedal is pressed with this size rear housing. I've had a few setups with fairly big cams and in general an engine which breaths top notch. An engine like this or yours tends to allow alot of scavenging to happen in the cylinders, blowing plenty of raw fuel and air into the turbine and runs the turbo like a jet engine. A 50mm external gate was enough to control boost, anything smaller gave issues.

It's probably a combination of problems relating to the gate size/positioin and your engine flows more gas than the norm. Don't take offence or anything as you've got yourself good results and there is nothing better than a turbo falcon especially when you've created it yourself. My current ride has the standard everything thus far and has made 179.9rwkw at less than 5psi. Obviously it's going to cop alot more than that but not before the C4 goes in.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ok, so what i get from that is that you must be using 2in steampipe to run a 50mm gate???

ok, also, you say your engine has std everything thus far...!!!! then, i guess you cant really comment on problems involved with trying to tame the boost on a high flow system??

your comment about raw fuel and air running a turbo like a jet engine, well, if thats the case, then my turbo designed camshaft is doing exactly what its meant to be doing, causing awesome spool-up times/rpm... perfect

your wastegate shoots gas straight down in relation to the collector pipes??? gee, your lucky not to have a venturi effect happening, dont laugh, a lot of outlets like that do happen to have reverse flow happening....

i really dont think you have a setup that needs an incredible wastegate system, being stock, you wouldnt understand where im coming from...

a combination of problems you say?? i say, a comibination of superb engineering thats caused some extreme measures to control it

wouldnt whack a ole in a turbo for love nor money??? well answer this, what would you do if you were seeing 16psi at 5000rpm with absolutely no wastegate fitted to the manifold and two 1.5in outlets on the collector

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: XE

VIC, Australia

Quote:
An engine like this or yours tends to allow alot of scavenging to happen in the cylinders, blowing plenty of raw fuel and air into the turbine and runs the turbo like a jet engine

What u r talking about is large cam overlap which is not benifical for a turbo application because u end up lossing alot of boost pressure through exhaust scavaging cause the inlet and exhaust valves r open at the sametime for longer than optimial time (too long). ur also describing anti-lag to a point but not every well. sorry to shot u down but u obviously not built any high boost/hp turbo engines. sorry i cant be bothered go into detail way to p****d. 8-)

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

thank god there are ways to make more power then ebs_4l without hacking up your exhaust housing :D

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Concord wrote:
Quote:
An engine like this or yours tends to allow alot of scavenging to happen in the cylinders, blowing plenty of raw fuel and air into the turbine and runs the turbo like a jet engine

What u r talking about is large cam overlap which is not benifical for a turbo application because u end up lossing alot of boost pressure through exhaust scavaging cause the inlet and exhaust valves r open at the sametime for longer than optimial time (too long). ur also describing anti-lag to a point but not every well. sorry to shot u down but u obviously not built any high boost/hp turbo engines. sorry i cant be bothered go into detail way to p****d. 8-)

Actually it NOT high boost that requires a high flow waste gate!!! Its when you have 700 + h.p turbo and running low boost, the xhaust gases have to go some where??? 90* bends don't help. Retarded timing and rich mixture sends turbine crassy...!6 Lb on a high end motor is just starting to make serious power....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: XE

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Actually it NOT high boost that requires a high flow waste gate!!! Its when you have 700 + h.p turbo and running low boost, the xhaust gases have to go some where??? 90* bends don't help. Retarded timing and rich mixture sends turbine crassy...!6 Lb on a high end motor is just starting to make serious power....

Dude if u read the post im talking about cam overlap not wastegates. and in relation to high boost/hp i mean that u wouldnt bother buying a big cam for a stock setup.

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ebxr8380, thank god 4 u, you are the only guy on the same page so far

cam overlap vs wastegates... well, they are very closey related, the larger the overlap, the more wastegate gas you need to vent

hey effalcon, wtf would you know?????? have you any knowledge of all of high end turbo systems?? what do you know about turbo effieciency and boost level/hp...???? im very curious to hear? yep, for sure, you can pull 500rwhp on a COMPLETELY std engine, but at what boost pressure??

boost pressure is a direct indication of what????? INLET RESTRICTION!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ebs_4l on Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:
hey effalcon, wtf would you know?????? have you any knowledge of all of high end turbo systems?? what do you know about turbo effieciency and boost level/hp...???? im very curious to hear? yep, for sure, you can pull 500rwhp on a COMPLETELY std engine, but at what boost pressure??

who cares what i know, i'm simply saying theres more then 1 way to acheive desired results, other cars have proven this.
quit acting all high and mighty.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Last edited by EFFalcon on Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 20  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next