Turbo 221 XW..? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Turbo 221 XW..?
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: XW

WA, Australia

Hey, I have a 221 in my XW at the moment, rebuilt about 3 years back. I was looking at a 302W conversion in the next month or so once i have a few dents taken out, but after reading a couple plans on another site I mite change the plan

The engine runs good, I use it as a daily and have done over 15 000 kms in the last 6-8 months,

will i get away with strapping a little to4 or simular too it like the e series fellas seem too?

Is their anything that i have to give aprticular attention too?

And how do i identify what head i have n ther? Std or 2v.

I know the heads are about teh same as 250s, so manifolds and the like wont be much of a problem (assuming it will clear the strut tower), and theres is heaps or room in the engine bay, although the bonnet lock support will need to be ditched in an attempted to queeze a cooler in

I havent really paid much attention to this engine as i was originally going to do a V8 conversion, so any info would be good :)

Im gunna finger bang bang your mumma too

Post subject: Re: Turbo 221 XW..?
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:46 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Jase wrote:
Hey, I have a 221 in my XW at the moment, rebuilt about 3 years back. I was looking at a 302W conversion in the next month or so once i have a few dents taken out, but after reading a couple plans on another site I mite change the plan

The engine runs good, I use it as a daily and have done over 15 000 kms in the last 6-8 months,

will i get away with strapping a little to4 or simular too it like the e series fellas seem too?

Is their anything that i have to give aprticular attention too?

And how do i identify what head i have n ther? Std or 2v.

I know the heads are about teh same as 250s, so manifolds and the like wont be much of a problem (assuming it will clear the strut tower), and theres is heaps or room in the engine bay, although the bonnet lock support will need to be ditched in an attempted to queeze a cooler in

I havent really paid much attention to this engine as i was originally going to do a V8 conversion, so any info would be good :)

unless you do it right don't do it at all it will be a nightmare i'm always fixing these 2 bob home jobby's with 2 bob turbo's sounds easy but its not cheap

eg using quality parts sh/chineese where pos quality new where necesary

ecu fitted tuned $2200
fuel system 2 pumps surge etc $700
injectors throttlebody manifolding to 2v $1000
a/a normal head draw through$2000
turbo garrett not chineese $1600
manifold $800
plumbing $600
cooler $200
plumbing $400
exhaust $800

do i need to go on?

don't bother with carby turbo you will spend what you save at ashley and martins getting implants

worth it if you want it but not if you think ill do it to save doe!

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

dude he wasnt asking about pricing or bits he needs.. he was asking about the ENGINE itself..

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:01 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

eed-250 wrote:
dude he wasnt asking about pricing or bits he needs.. he was asking about the ENGINE itself..

i know that

i was trying to give him an idea of whats involved and that he is better to stick to the 8 if on a budget and if he wants a turbo he has an idea on about 50% of his expenditure to do it right

trying to save him time/stress thats all

Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

I know what goes into a turbo, i spent a considerable amount of time researching it for my last car, had purchased a heap of s**t too- but bit of bad luck ment I ended up ditching the lot.

What i wanted to know is whether or not these engines were suited, whether i could initially run a turbo on the stock engine or whether someone else had previously done it, if there were inherintly weak parts in the engine, or whether it would be a better investment going for another engine combo altogether - 4L, v8 or WHY.

If i wanted to know the stuff you posted there are countless n00b threads i could have looked in.

Thanks anyways

Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:50 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

the answer is yes, the stock engine can be turbocharged. an oil cooler doesn't hurt. did you want to use carb or efi ? i have seen some good results on a 200 in a cortina with a series 4 13b turbo. it was x-flow, and blew through a holley. electronic ignition is also a goer.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: eb xr6

NSW, Australia

Hi my mate done a similar setup on his 250 2v. The most critical thing is getting the carb boost referenced.he bought one off the shelf by exchange and got an adapter to suit the standard manifold. As for the engine he left his internaly stock with standard compression. the only he did was to O ring head gasket and also get the seats done to run on PULP. he runs 6psi most of the time and hes done around 4000ks so engine longevity is still up in the air! good luck

XR 1992 161 RWKW 14 sec 1/4s

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Cool thanks for that.

I was leaning toward GRA setup rather than Carb or efi, will keep researching adnd see what i can come up with.

If anyoen stubles accross info on set ups and performance, or pictures whack em up :)

Thanks.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

NSW, Australia

just another idea to try, what about an ef/el falc 4.0 engine and box setup. yes there will be the usual wiring etc, but these engines are very cheap, put out a fair amount of power, and as you have a 6 already, wouldnt take to much. as i said just a thought. love that model falc as well ,wud love one to do up.
take care mate

Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

briney wrote:
the answer is yes, the stock engine can be turbocharged. an oil cooler doesn't hurt. did you want to use carb or efi ? i have seen some good results on a 200 in a cortina with a series 4 13b turbo. it was x-flow, and blew through a holley. electronic ignition is also a goer.

what sort of power did he make with a setup like that just out of curiosity, fairly small turbo so im interested? cheers

ps bud there is a guy doing an A! turbo install on an old 250 2V at fordforums, maybe you should have a look

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

yeah cool thanks

Also am considering a EB-AU engine too. Going through options atm :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]