Fordmods Logo

turbo e-series or xr6t conversion? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: turbo e-series or xr6t conversion?
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Eb II XR6

WA, Australia

So I have an EBII SXR6 manual and am saving up cash to add boost. I'm after peoples opinions on whether i should get a turbo kit for my current engine or do an XR6T conversion. I can do most of the work myself to cut down on costs. Either way i'll need a new exhaust, fuel pump, etc and am going to install a t56 coz i do a lot of hwy k's and want a 6th gear to cut down fuel costs.

Each has there positives and negatives and will both hit my goal of 200ish rwkw. My biggest concern is will I want more power later. Hence upgadeablity becomes an issue, the xr6t could be upgraded easlily with new intake/intercooler, injectors and tune where as to go further with the current engine will reqire a stronger bottom end to get more out of it.

I have the option to go either way and am 50/50 on which way to go. Turbo sohc maens less stuffing around but dohc XR6T is easier to upgrade at a later date. I'm after comments from people who have done either and what they think. Cheers

EBII SXR6 White, manual, el dash and door trims, ba xr front seats, serpentine belt, electric fans and a turbo
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/just-another-white-eb-t114629.html

Post subject: Re: turbo e-series or xr6t conversion?
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ford EB GLI

VIC, Australia

SOHC FTW!
No need for a DOHC conversion unless you want to be abit different. 200rwkw is a walk in the park on a stock SOHC bottom end! Theres a few gettin around with 300+rwkw on stock bottom ends and if you can do most of it yourself then the SOHC will a fair bit cheaper aswell.

EBT-747 -

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

Agreed sohc is definately the best option. There is alot more work and cost involved going for a dohc
My ef ran 225rwkw for 3 yrs on stock bottem end without even a tune just a rising rate fpr and i have since sold my turbo kit and the saame bottem end is still going strong as a n/a

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:28 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

+1 sohc... what can be done to the dohc can also be done to the sohc.
ive been running 12psi boost into my std au engine for near 3 years now 2 years supercharged and 12 months turbo and still going strong with 265rwkw..

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

I'd say +1 for SOHC too in your case, unless you want to be chasing 300 rwkw plus ...it gets a fair bit more expensive from there on.

BTW ...nice ute in your gallery 'Roos, don't f**k with me!!' haha

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd manual, with BF F6 TYPHOON motor and supporting mod's, 3" exhaust etc..
(298 rwkw @ 12 psi)

My car here: the-garage-f53/mark-s-el-xr6-bf-f6-dohc-transplant-in-progress-t106821.html
BF TYPHOON BOOSTED!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]