Fordmods Logo

turbo EA project 

Page 5 of 10 [ 137 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ef

NSW, Australia

how did you hook up your air/fuel

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

That's awesome Chef, really good looking setup.

I like the use of the ford 90 degree intake elbow!!! lol

Yeah I had gauges spread all over the place (as per gallery pics) but it just didnt work so ive got em in the same spot now.

Same gauge I'm running for A/F... do you have a wideband o2 or is she tapped into the HEGO/HEGO GND of the EEC loom?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Thanks dude, yeah I was going to use a 3in steel bend for the intake then I discovered I could use the original intake hose.
The AR guage is wired into the EEC's HEGO input, its still the standard O2 sensor but I bought a wide band o2 to use with the Wolf once I install it. It looks like I'll have to keep the normal o2 sensor for the auto meter gauge to read off, but thats ok, I'll just have two sensors in the dump pipe. The wideband sensor has a piggy back plug to use for tuning without the need to unpug it so that will be a bonus on the dyno.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Just wondering.... what the output range from the wideband sensor is? If it's similar to the narrow band HEGO (0v-1v) then you should be able to use the autometer gauge to get a reading from the wideband.... all the gauge really does is voltimeter from 0-1v.

Be sure to keep the updates coming!!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hmmm, don't know accually, spose I can always just swap them over and see if the EEC will run off it, then I'll know if the guage reads it ok.

Ok, latest is, I have installed the Walbro 255lb pump into the standard intank location ( I now have a near new VDO pump for sale if anyone needs it), the Walbro pump is alot smaller than the orig VDO pump but it had a big rubber sleave that made up for its slim size in the mounting cradle. On the road there is no difference as expected but it is rated at over 500hp so will be fine for this set up. Goal is 250 to 300kw@wheels.
Ive being reading and re-reading the Wolf manual and I think Im ready to do the big "loom chop" and install the computer.
Once thats in i need to work on the start up maps and get a semi decent drive map, then I will put the 550cc injectors in and adjust the pulse rates to suit, then its off to a dyno tuner. My mate reckons we can do it on the street with the lap top... could be some speeding tickets involved here :?
But befor all this, it looks like its done a minor head gasket leak so I'll change that.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Here's the lastest on the beasty...

Today I wired up the Wolf, Im taking the easy way out to get it up and running and just running the fuel only maps until I have a better grasp on the fuel side.
I havnt put in my 550cc injectors yet, I'll do that tomorow arvo, but I can say that all is good and suprisingly the old 2lt Starion turbo fuel maps that I have in the Wolf from my last toy are working rather well.
Im now getting around 5 to 6psi befor the stock injectors lean out... they seem to get to 100% duty very fast but with the Walbro pump they must be forcing a little more fuel out.
the boost is starting to get really serious now... I have shamed quite a few quick cars today :)
So, once I put the 550cc's in I can tune it and will be able to accually keep the foot down more than half throttle and enjoy the boost, instead of jumping off the throt when boost hits...

Heres my wiring mess... It will all be tidied up once sorted

{Photo edited by Damage, to damn hard reading posts when it is that large!}

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

forgot to say how I wired it...

I have the EEC still wired in, it turns the fuel pump on and i think the ignition might go through it... not sure yet. I will remove it totally soon, but Im just taking the easy way out for now.
I was able to use the injectors orig wiring just splicing into the eec loom, as they are running in only 2 groups as the eec has done it, so I thought Id leave that as is for now.
I ran new wires for the TPS and the wolf is reading the TPS fine, no need to recalibrate whice is a bonus.
I havnt wired in a water temp sensor or air temp sensor yet... so I have no temp compensation until I do this, but I'll do that soon

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:28 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

FYI with the cast iron welding or any heavy welding for that matter. You should pre-heat the metal with the oxy first. This gives more penetration without the fierce weld like when you turn it up.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Bert wrote:
FYI with the cast iron welding or any heavy welding for that matter. You should pre-heat the metal with the oxy first. This gives more penetration without the fierce weld like when you turn it up.

This is also mainly done to reduce cracking, the metal cools down evenly instead of cooling down in one place, a good idea with welding cast iron etc is to bury it in sand afterwards so it slows down the cooling speed, but in most cases you can get away with it.

Does anyone like the pictures have been reduced in size? I found it a bastard to read the posts because of the size of the pictures, plus the pages will load faster.

Chef keep posting, you have made a very interesting read.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok, I'll chop em to fit better Damage.

The manifold here is just really to get the turbo set up happening... yeah Im getting some welds or crackes opening up now and its getting a bit noisy hehe... time to make a new manifold. I'll just do a basic steam pipe log style jobbie.

Well, Ive been tuning the fuel side of things as I drive to and from work each day and Ive kind of got a nice smooth map happening, but this is on the stock EA injectors as Im having issues with the 550cc injs I bought ( 2 of them dont fire...)
One good thing is I can run a happy 6odd psi without the injs leaning so it looks like the Walbro pump is an improvment over the stocker.
I mounted the wolf in the glovebox and the eeciv is back in the kick panel... all nice and tidy again, just need to make up a mount for the wolf controller to sit in the centre console instead of how it is now, blu tacked over the climate control lol

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

is that a 3speed auto I can see?

Be interesting to see how that goes with more power.

Got plans for upgrading it yet?

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yep thats a 3 speed... Ive thought about a 4speed, but I had this one rebuilt not too long ago so I'll wait and see how it likes the extra power. If it dies then I'll look into something stronger, dunno what though

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

I just recently bought a worked C4 for when my 4 speed auto dies. Dellow auto makes a bellhousing for it to bolt straight up.

Im hoping the current one doesnt die anytime soon though.

Im getting more boost thrown at it next friday :D I cant wait

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
I just recently bought a worked C4 for when my 4 speed auto dies. Dellow auto makes a bellhousing for it to bolt straight up.

Probably the Taxi companies pushed this along 8-)

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Today I fitted the 550cc injectors and sat in the driveway playing with the fueling... I think I should buy a new battery as this has really copped a flogging over the last few weeks... Ive cranked it over and over a zillion times and flattened it a good 3 or 4 times...
Ive got it starting well and idling ok on the bigger injectors so tomorow I will road tune and see how it goes on 11psi... I'll hear the wastgate scream for the first time :D

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 10  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next