Fordmods Logo

Turbo EF Project. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Turbo EF Project.
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

I've just about got my EF back from been tuned and thought I'd tell you guys about it(I’m starting to get excited… :D )

Anyway so far:
I put a snort performance Stage one turbo kit on it about a year ago now.
It made about 180rwkw on the standard computer and standard injectors with a 12-1 fuel pressure regulator, on an engine with 260,000 ks.
The only problem was as soon as the car started to get a bit hot it would detonate something silly. Been an EF with coil packs I couldn’t adjust the timing so I went down the track of installing a Wolf 3d V4.
I had the Wolf tuned at two places up hear around Wodonga, and both places did a really bad job, still only getting around 180kw, but had issues with starting, idling and fuel consumption was really bad (230Ks to a full tank)
Next on the replacement list was the injectors, with 350cc ones been installed. I also took the head off and did a little bit of porting work myself.
Still having tuning issues with the Wolf I decided to cut my losses and take the car to Rank Rotary in Melbourne.
They discovered that it was running out of fuel at around 180kw with the standard fuel pump.
New fuel pump was installed and they have got it at 210 rwkw on 10psi, with more tuning to do tomorrow. :P

Anyway, I've had some really bad dealing with several companies during my turboing experience, but on the flip side have had some incredible support from some others.
Trying not to sound sucky,:D but I have to give a big thanks to:
1.Snort Performance have given me incredible support, and a fantastic product for an incredible price.
2. Wolf EMS, they have spent hours on the phone to me, and days down at Rank Rotary helping them with my setup. All at no cost.
3. Rank Rotary, for a company that mostly deal with Mazda's and rotary (we cant hold that against them :D ) They know their stuff and have taken my car that has been a pig to start, drive, idle in traffic (the list goes on and on) to a car that idles perfectly, starts first crank, got more power and with any luck will have much better fuel economy. All at about half the price of the other guys that tried to tune it..

Next on the list of things to do, will be:
Bigger valves
Stage 3 or more Snort Kit, Current one is an old barrel design, the new ones are tuned length stainless steal.
Some form of copper head gasket, or O ring block.
Forged pistons.
Might have to look into the auto, I'm not to sure how much more it'll take.
and more importantly more boost... :D

These turboed falcons are just too additive...

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

mate you sound like a happy camper
good to hear that you are now having some good experiences (going by what you have said you havnt had many until now)
well done
cheers

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Personally I wouldn't wast time on bigger valves.Any bigger the small bore will shroud valves anyway...Yes some low comp pistons.Hypo are good enough, shotpeen rods with ARP bolts..
Try to get as much power you can without going higher in boost...Porting yes as even if you go too big? With forced induction it doesn't matter...Within reason...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:18 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Congrats mate, it's a shame it takes so much hard work to find someone that'll do a good job though.
Although it's really uplifting to hear of people's positive experiences, especially with Snort Performance and Wolf EMS, they seem to be on the right track to keeping a loyal customer base.
Have fun going through tyres! ;)

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Good to hear your getting decent power now,good stuff :)

Yep, the guys from Wolf are very dedicated to getting the best results from their gear... great support.

Yep its addictive... very very addictive :D my weekly fuel bill shows that

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

My fuel bill shows driving is addictiv. Thank goodness i dont own a v8 or a turbo!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
My fuel bill shows driving is addictiv. Thank goodness i dont own a v8 or a turbo!

Ha thanks... Lol...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Andrew J wrote:

Ha thanks... Lol...

ha ha... or both!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]