Fordmods Logo

Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8. 

 

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:38 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 99

Joined: 11th Apr 2011

Ride: Batmobile

Location: Tauranga
New Zealand

Dax wrote:
That would be good man, What kind of setup/power are you looking at? PM that if you please.


Single turbo, custom intake manifold, air cooled. I asked for 300rwkw but my guy tells me I'm going to get a pleasant surprise.

I am also getting some headwork and a bottom end done, so that is a bit of extra cash on top of the price of turboing, but thats not always neccessary.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 3045

Joined: 26th Nov 2008

Ride: 1975 XB Falcon 500

Location: In the drivers seat
SA, Australia

Dax wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:
Nothing wrong with reliability with the turbo, none at all. its about what you want, depending on how mutch you spend on a V8 it will be cheaper. But you will save money on running costs with the turbo.


Well, Orginally I had a guy in the club who knows alot about building engines keen to build my v8, But he doesnt want me going over 300hp, which isn't enough for me lol! An au xr8 puts out that!

As I said earlier I want about 400hp, Something he didnt agree with. So My only other opition was an engine builder, Putting the price up!

Plus I need to get a gearbox for it and any other things that may become a problem in the old 84 Xe.

The Con to this is, Unlike my fairmont, It has no abs and wont handle as well. I'm also tossing up if I can afford having two vehicles. Regersation and Warrents aren't fun.


You can Use a T5 on a 351, there is a mob here in aus that sells bellhousings to match it all up.

 

_________________

Image
http://www.facebook.com/Ford1975

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:05 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 249

Joined: 18th Jan 2010

Ride: Ford EB GLI

Location: Morwell/Inverloch
VIC, Australia

Go with the I6,Make your 300rwkw and with an auto you will dip into the 11's. Take your car down to this car club and ask how many of them with there v8's are running 11's? I bet none of them are running them times with the amount of money you had of spent on your setup :P

 

_________________

EBT-747 -

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:40 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 70

Joined: 18th Jun 2009

Ride: Ef2 Fairmont Ghia

Location: Dunedin
New Zealand

Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:
Go with the I6,Make your 300rwkw and with an auto you will dip into the 11's. Take your car down to this car club and ask how many of them with there v8's are running 11's? I bet none of them are running them times with the amount of money you had of spent on your setup :P


That is the way im starting to feel.
So you think it might push 11s, i was wondering what time it might do.
If i go with au xr6 engine, do i need to get an au auto?

The one thing im wondering was, the ef2 has a 190 speed cut out, apparently coz of their bad tailshaft? Are they hard to improve?

 

_________________

Daxxx.

Otago Early Falcon & Fairlane Car Club!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:50 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 249

Joined: 18th Jan 2010

Ride: Ford EB GLI

Location: Morwell/Inverloch
VIC, Australia

Yeh mate,You should be in the high 11's with 300rwkw give or take.
If you go with the i6 are you planning on getting it built to take the boost?
Tailshaft will be fine at them power levels also.

 

_________________

EBT-747 -

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1507

Joined: 14th Aug 2009

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

Location: Gosnells, Perth
WA, Australia

Dax wrote:
Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:
Go with the I6,Make your 300rwkw and with an auto you will dip into the 11's. Take your car down to this car club and ask how many of them with there v8's are running 11's? I bet none of them are running them times with the amount of money you had of spent on your setup :P


That is the way im starting to feel.
So you think it might push 11s, i was wondering what time it might do.
If i go with au xr6 engine, do i need to get an au auto?

The one thing im wondering was, the ef2 has a 190 speed cut out, apparently coz of their bad tailshaft? Are they hard to improve?


get a xr6 alloy one.

 

_________________

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:09 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

Benny D wrote:
Dax wrote:
Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:
Go with the I6,Make your 300rwkw and with an auto you will dip into the 11's. Take your car down to this car club and ask how many of them with there v8's are running 11's? I bet none of them are running them times with the amount of money you had of spent on your setup :P


That is the way im starting to feel.
So you think it might push 11s, i was wondering what time it might do.
If i go with au xr6 engine, do i need to get an au auto?

The one thing im wondering was, the ef2 has a 190 speed cut out, apparently coz of their bad tailshaft? Are they hard to improve?


get a xr6 alloy one.


its not the tail shaft that has issues, when it happens, its the extension housing that fails on the 4 speed autos droping the tailshaft..

in saying that im running 12's at around 114mph on a 4 speed auto using the std steel tailshaft..
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1507

Joined: 14th Aug 2009

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

Location: Gosnells, Perth
WA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
Benny D wrote:
Dax wrote:
Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:
Go with the I6,Make your 300rwkw and with an auto you will dip into the 11's. Take your car down to this car club and ask how many of them with there v8's are running 11's? I bet none of them are running them times with the amount of money you had of spent on your setup :P


That is the way im starting to feel.
So you think it might push 11s, i was wondering what time it might do.
If i go with au xr6 engine, do i need to get an au auto?

The one thing im wondering was, the ef2 has a 190 speed cut out, apparently coz of their bad tailshaft? Are they hard to improve?


get a xr6 alloy one.


its not the tail shaft that has issues, when it happens, its the extension housing that fails on the 4 speed autos droping the tailshaft..

in saying that im running 12's at around 114mph on a 4 speed auto using the std steel tailshaft..

o.. from what i read a while ago the steel tailshaft bends up like a skipping rope before epicly failing.

 

_________________

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:59 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 70

Joined: 18th Jun 2009

Ride: Ef2 Fairmont Ghia

Location: Dunedin
New Zealand

The reason I was asking about tail shaft and speed cut out is I've been to a few track days with a few of the clubs and down the straight I'm hitting 170-180kph, depending on how brave I am coming into the corner haha.

So if I was to be flying down there with the turbo six, I don't wanna be hitting 190 and being stuck there.. you know..

Also, Over the last three track days I've been to, the most impressive time I've seen posted by a v8 is 12.54, So 11's would be fantastic!


Update on pricing locally, Found a place I wanna talk to, but are currently closed for holidays, Guess I'll keep doing my research on how I wanna my Au xr6 turbo set up and see them once I have an idea of my wanted set up.

Is it definitely worth going though with making an au six fit over just using the el engine?

 

_________________

Daxxx.

Otago Early Falcon & Fairlane Car Club!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:10 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

Benny D wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
Benny D wrote:
Dax wrote:
Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:
Go with the I6,Make your 300rwkw and with an auto you will dip into the 11's. Take your car down to this car club and ask how many of them with there v8's are running 11's? I bet none of them are running them times with the amount of money you had of spent on your setup :P


That is the way im starting to feel.
So you think it might push 11s, i was wondering what time it might do.
If i go with au xr6 engine, do i need to get an au auto?

The one thing im wondering was, the ef2 has a 190 speed cut out, apparently coz of their bad tailshaft? Are they hard to improve?


get a xr6 alloy one.


its not the tail shaft that has issues, when it happens, its the extension housing that fails on the 4 speed autos droping the tailshaft..

in saying that im running 12's at around 114mph on a 4 speed auto using the std steel tailshaft..

o.. from what i read a while ago the steel tailshaft bends up like a skipping rope before epicly failing.


the steel shaft is just as strong as the alloy one, but the alloy shaft will produce much less harmonic vibration which will reduce the chance of the extension housing failing.
thats why you will find all falcons before the 4 speed auto have no speed limiters..
and in all cases where the tail shafts has said to have failed the extension housing has been completly sheared off the gearbox from harmonic vibration from the shaft.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:29 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 249

Joined: 18th Jan 2010

Ride: Ford EB GLI

Location: Morwell/Inverloch
VIC, Australia

Dax wrote:
The reason I was asking about tail shaft and speed cut out is I've been to a few track days with a few of the clubs and down the straight I'm hitting 170-180kph, depending on how brave I am coming into the corner haha.

So if I was to be flying down there with the turbo six, I don't wanna be hitting 190 and being stuck there.. you know..

Also, Over the last three track days I've been to, the most impressive time I've seen posted by a v8 is 12.54, So 11's would be fantastic!


Update on pricing locally, Found a place I wanna talk to, but are currently closed for holidays, Guess I'll keep doing my research on how I wanna my Au xr6 turbo set up and see them once I have an idea of my wanted set up.

Is it definitely worth going though with making an au six fit over just using the el engine?



Like i said mate are you getting the engine built or leaving the bottom end stock?
In stock form the EL engine is stronger then an AU engine.

 

_________________

EBT-747 -

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:23 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 327

Joined: 23rd Apr 2008

Ride: ED, EB11, 351 XF

Location: christchurch
New Zealand

If your Going to go au motor get a vct one out of a fairlane, you can pick them up alot cheaper here then the xr6 ones and are the same, you can put a standard cam in it to
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:14 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 70

Joined: 18th Jun 2009

Ride: Ef2 Fairmont Ghia

Location: Dunedin
New Zealand

Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:
Like i said mate are you getting the engine built or leaving the bottom end stock?
In stock form the EL engine is stronger then an AU engine.


Well, I was under the impression that the au engine is strnger and would handle 300rwkw all stock.
Is this not correct?

UPDATE: Went into local turbo shop today, They are happy to do work for me and price it up.
They said the turbo side is easy, But they are concern on how we would go about running my auto as this is run off the factory ecu.

I said I will look into how others have got around this problem to keep their auto.

Cheers.

 

_________________

Daxxx.

Otago Early Falcon & Fairlane Car Club!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:07 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 249

Joined: 18th Jan 2010

Ride: Ford EB GLI

Location: Morwell/Inverloch
VIC, Australia

Na mate,You will be very lucky to get 300rwkw out of a stock AU bottom end. Even if you did you would only be a matter of time befor you bend a rod.

If your going to use a stock motor go with an EL engine
If your going to build a motor then use an AU engine

 

_________________

EBT-747 -

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 64

Posts: 3552

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

Location: Penrith
NSW, Australia

AU engine has higher compression..
Better rod length and near bullet proof mains...
The rods can be an issue with high boost..
My son's car run 11's with totally stock assembly including cam and valve springs..
It had C4 and t04z turbo..In ED Fairmont..
If you run it on E85 and good tune it will go all day on 330 rwkw...
Just need double fuel supply 85Lb + injectors...

The overdrive and lower gear ratio's meant drive shaft is spinning fast..
However with 3 speed auto a 3.08 / 3.45 is fine with well balanced drive shaft..

 

_________________

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:49 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names