Fordmods Logo

Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8. 

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Batmobile

New Zealand

Dax wrote:
That would be good man, What kind of setup/power are you looking at? PM that if you please.

Single turbo, custom intake manifold, air cooled. I asked for 300rwkw but my guy tells me I'm going to get a pleasant surprise.

I am also getting some headwork and a bottom end done, so that is a bit of extra cash on top of the price of turboing, but thats not always neccessary.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Dax wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:
Nothing wrong with reliability with the turbo, none at all. its about what you want, depending on how mutch you spend on a V8 it will be cheaper. But you will save money on running costs with the turbo.

Well, Orginally I had a guy in the club who knows alot about building engines keen to build my v8, But he doesnt want me going over 300hp, which isn't enough for me lol! An au xr8 puts out that!

As I said earlier I want about 400hp, Something he didnt agree with. So My only other opition was an engine builder, Putting the price up!

Plus I need to get a gearbox for it and any other things that may become a problem in the old 84 Xe.

The Con to this is, Unlike my fairmont, It has no abs and wont handle as well. I'm also tossing up if I can afford having two vehicles. Regersation and Warrents aren't fun.

You can Use a T5 on a 351, there is a mob here in aus that sells bellhousings to match it all up.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:05 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ford EB GLI

VIC, Australia

Go with the I6,Make your 300rwkw and with an auto you will dip into the 11's. Take your car down to this car club and ask how many of them with there v8's are running 11's? I bet none of them are running them times with the amount of money you had of spent on your setup :P

EBT-747 -

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef2 Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:
Go with the I6,Make your 300rwkw and with an auto you will dip into the 11's. Take your car down to this car club and ask how many of them with there v8's are running 11's? I bet none of them are running them times with the amount of money you had of spent on your setup :P

That is the way im starting to feel.
So you think it might push 11s, i was wondering what time it might do.
If i go with au xr6 engine, do i need to get an au auto?

The one thing im wondering was, the ef2 has a 190 speed cut out, apparently coz of their bad tailshaft? Are they hard to improve?

Daxxx.

Otago Early Falcon & Fairlane Car Club!

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:50 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Yeh mate,You should be in the high 11's with 300rwkw give or take.
If you go with the i6 are you planning on getting it built to take the boost?
Tailshaft will be fine at them power levels also.

EBT-747 -

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

Dax wrote:
Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:

The one thing im wondering was, the ef2 has a 190 speed cut out, apparently coz of their bad tailshaft? Are they hard to improve?

get a xr6 alloy one.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:09 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Benny D wrote:
Dax wrote:
Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:

get a xr6 alloy one.

its not the tail shaft that has issues, when it happens, its the extension housing that fails on the 4 speed autos droping the tailshaft..

in saying that im running 12's at around 114mph on a 4 speed auto using the std steel tailshaft..

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
Benny D wrote:
Dax wrote:
Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:

get a xr6 alloy one.

its not the tail shaft that has issues, when it happens, its the extension housing that fails on the 4 speed autos droping the tailshaft..

in saying that im running 12's at around 114mph on a 4 speed auto using the std steel tailshaft..

o.. from what i read a while ago the steel tailshaft bends up like a skipping rope before epicly failing.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

The reason I was asking about tail shaft and speed cut out is I've been to a few track days with a few of the clubs and down the straight I'm hitting 170-180kph, depending on how brave I am coming into the corner haha.

So if I was to be flying down there with the turbo six, I don't wanna be hitting 190 and being stuck there.. you know..

Also, Over the last three track days I've been to, the most impressive time I've seen posted by a v8 is 12.54, So 11's would be fantastic!

Update on pricing locally, Found a place I wanna talk to, but are currently closed for holidays, Guess I'll keep doing my research on how I wanna my Au xr6 turbo set up and see them once I have an idea of my wanted set up.

Is it definitely worth going though with making an au six fit over just using the el engine?

Daxxx.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:10 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Benny D wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
Benny D wrote:
Dax wrote:
Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:

get a xr6 alloy one.

o.. from what i read a while ago the steel tailshaft bends up like a skipping rope before epicly failing.

the steel shaft is just as strong as the alloy one, but the alloy shaft will produce much less harmonic vibration which will reduce the chance of the extension housing failing.
thats why you will find all falcons before the 4 speed auto have no speed limiters..
and in all cases where the tail shafts has said to have failed the extension housing has been completly sheared off the gearbox from harmonic vibration from the shaft.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:29 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Dax wrote:
The reason I was asking about tail shaft and speed cut out is I've been to a few track days with a few of the clubs and down the straight I'm hitting 170-180kph, depending on how brave I am coming into the corner haha.

So if I was to be flying down there with the turbo six, I don't wanna be hitting 190 and being stuck there.. you know..

Also, Over the last three track days I've been to, the most impressive time I've seen posted by a v8 is 12.54, So 11's would be fantastic!

Update on pricing locally, Found a place I wanna talk to, but are currently closed for holidays, Guess I'll keep doing my research on how I wanna my Au xr6 turbo set up and see them once I have an idea of my wanted set up.

Is it definitely worth going though with making an au six fit over just using the el engine?

Like i said mate are you getting the engine built or leaving the bottom end stock?
In stock form the EL engine is stronger then an AU engine.

EBT-747 -

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:23 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED, EB11, 351 XF

New Zealand

If your Going to go au motor get a vct one out of a fairlane, you can pick them up alot cheaper here then the xr6 ones and are the same, you can put a standard cam in it to

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:
Like i said mate are you getting the engine built or leaving the bottom end stock?
In stock form the EL engine is stronger then an AU engine.

Well, I was under the impression that the au engine is strnger and would handle 300rwkw all stock.
Is this not correct?

UPDATE: Went into local turbo shop today, They are happy to do work for me and price it up.
They said the turbo side is easy, But they are concern on how we would go about running my auto as this is run off the factory ecu.

I said I will look into how others have got around this problem to keep their auto.

Cheers.

Daxxx.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:07 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Na mate,You will be very lucky to get 300rwkw out of a stock AU bottom end. Even if you did you would only be a matter of time befor you bend a rod.

If your going to use a stock motor go with an EL engine
If your going to build a motor then use an AU engine

EBT-747 -

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

AU engine has higher compression..
Better rod length and near bullet proof mains...
The rods can be an issue with high boost..
My son's car run 11's with totally stock assembly including cam and valve springs..
It had C4 and t04z turbo..In ED Fairmont..
If you run it on E85 and good tune it will go all day on 330 rwkw...
Just need double fuel supply 85Lb + injectors...

The overdrive and lower gear ratio's meant drive shaft is spinning fast..
However with 3 speed auto a 3.08 / 3.45 is fine with well balanced drive shaft..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next